PDA

View Full Version : Whipple and Accessories

P Machy
09-07-06, 11:54 PM
What does one need to run a safe 91octane?

15psi or 17psi max with 23* of timing? (not sure what the corolation<sp> timing would have with that much pressure), but some have had that much timing on 91octane and still run strong.

Please educate me....unlike the old days with my Silver Termee, I havent been up to par.

Lucafu1
09-08-06, 12:10 AM
with 91 octane i wouldnt run anymore then 21* of timing and some will say thats too much. 18*-19* is what my tunes are run off.

BurnTire
09-08-06, 12:10 AM
What does one need to run a safe 91octane?

15psi or 17psi max with 23* of timing? (not sure what the corolation<sp> timing would have with that much pressure), but some have had that much timing on 91octane and still run strong.

Please educate me....unlike the old days with my Silver Termee, I havent been up to par.

Do you have a Whipple?
91 with 15 PSI is 19 degrees
with 17 PSI 17 degrees.

Don't go above 17PSI with 91 octane

I just had MR Whipple out for a ride on 15PSI

Can't bump it to 17PSI on a race gas tune.

I don't read plugs I read the wideband.:icon_biggrin:

P Machy
09-08-06, 12:23 AM
with 91 octane i wouldnt run anymore then 21* of timing and some will say thats too much. 18*-19* is what my tunes are run off.
so other then a non whipple (ported eaton or just pullied eaton) a ramped to a total 23* is just fine? 18 ~ 19* doesnt sound like much though. I can totally tell the difference from 18 VS 23* and it shows when going up against some one with that much timing....but a whipple would be something difference, id imagine.

P Machy
09-08-06, 12:27 AM
Do you have a Whipple?
91 with 15 PSI is 19 degrees
with 17 PSI 17 degrees.

Don't go above 17PSI with 91 octane

I just had MR Whipple out for a ride on 15PSI

Can't bump it to 17PSI on a race gas tune.

I don't read plugs I read the wideband.:icon_biggrin:

No, if my Mach does leave the driveway, why not? My silver Termee stopped so short of anything respectable. Black Cars are fast :thumbsup:!!

OK, but comparing 15psi on a whipple and an eaton...whipple just makes that much more efficient numbers down low, mid & top?

How is ur IAT2's with the whipple? I felt a KB with 17psi and it felt sweet! very torqueeeeh!! but other then a valve spring or possible scored block, she still ran 11.7's @ 105. dgussins old vert.

BurnTire
09-08-06, 12:39 AM
On my 2.76 ported Eaton I ran 20 degrees of timing.
I always run on the conservative side with 91 octane.
It is not worth playing with fire on this crappy gas.
I also have a winter and summer tune. My car leans out .5 on the A/F when the winter gas hits the pumps.
I plan to run the full 23 degrees on race gas and 17PSI on the Whipple.

P Machy
09-08-06, 12:44 AM
hum...

OK, so richer A/F if tuned in the summer season gas.

I hear ya on the conservitive side...just the air is so thin where I normally hang out, but I live closer to sea level.

MAF....

whats the MAX that a lightning housing & internals can hold power wise? I understand that a stock MAF is good till around 460 ~ 480(also dependent on air).

BurnTire
09-08-06, 12:54 AM
I have to add fuel in the winter the oxygenated gas leans out the summer tune.

Get an SCT BA2400 MAF.
I had a Mafia and it was screwed up.

If you have the cash get and SCT pro racers package.
It is nice to be able to adjust your tune when needed.
SCT stuff has a two step rev limiter built in also.

My self and Mark (u1arunit) are both pro racer users.

hum...

OK, so richer A/F if tuned in the summer season gas.

I hear ya on the conservitive side...just the air is so thin where I normally hang out, but I live closer to sea level.

MAF....

whats the MAX that a lightning housing & internals can hold power wise? I understand that a stock MAF is good till around 460 ~ 480(also dependent on air).

P Machy
09-08-06, 12:58 AM
LOL..SCT PRP records what changes you made right? I recall see-ing something like that on the tuners laptop.

Not sure if I am ready for that.

seems like some have good success with the mafia and others dont. I just recall a friend swapped out to the lightning MAF and could of gone up to 580rwhp without maxing the voltage for a good price.

Injectors, BAP? There is way too many things going on with that. pre wiring or not, what amp and what percent....

BurnTire
09-08-06, 01:13 AM
You save the new tune under a different name.
The PRP has a compare feture so you can look at the changes made between tunes.

Ok get the SCT BA2400.(Don't be cheap here) Forget about that lightning MAF. You will be putting down over 600 RWHP on 17PSI with race gas.
60lb injectors / Harness
BAP 40 AMP, Pre FPDM, I have mine set on 20% now and duty cycle hits 89% Max.

LOL..SCT PRP records what changes you made right? I recall see-ing something like that on the tuners laptop.

Not sure if I am ready for that.

seems like some have good success with the mafia and others dont. I just recall a friend swapped out to the lightning MAF and could of gone up to 580rwhp without maxing the voltage for a good price.

Injectors, BAP? There is way too many things going on with that. pre wiring or not, what amp and what percent....

P Machy
09-08-06, 01:24 PM
Nah, no race fuel for me. It is a serious PITA looking for a pump...got one near the house, but the price per gallon is over 4.50!!

15psi would be nice.

So I dont have to mess with the pumps then?

BurnTire
09-08-06, 01:29 PM
Nah, no race fuel for me. It is a serious PITA looking for a pump...got one near the house, but the price per gallon is over 4.50!!

15psi would be nice.

So I dont have to mess with the pumps then?

15 PSI you will need a BAP.
I just use a can of toroc to make my race gas.

MinGry03
09-08-06, 07:18 PM
What sounds like nipple and begins with W?

:2thumbs: WHIPPLE :bowing:

P Machy
09-09-06, 01:54 AM
:z7shysterical: :z7shysterical: :z7shysterical:

Lucafu1
09-09-06, 02:38 AM
so other then a non whipple (ported eaton or just pullied eaton) a ramped to a total 23* is just fine? 18 ~ 19* doesnt sound like much though. I can totally tell the difference from 18 VS 23* and it shows when going up against some one with that much timing....but a whipple would be something difference, id imagine.

nope it doesnt matter. i say stay safe. ive burnt one piston already and i was running 93 octane back east.

P Machy
09-09-06, 04:17 PM
Ouch!

Yeah, dont have that kind of cash to lay down on a new short block!

MinGry03
09-09-06, 11:03 PM
Some people have smoked the pistons on a stock 03-04 cobra due to tight wall clearance. It is all in what you want. My wife can tell yuou that my car is my baby. But I want more. This is a chance that I am taking. Right now I have 513 RWHP & 484 RWTQ. This was done with a Steg. Stage 4 port and 2.8 upper.

Also, NO matter what anybody tells you, IT IS IN THE TUNE. If your tune sucks, the you run the chance of blowing up your car. I went with another fellow 03 cobra owner to a dyno to get our a/f check and whe he found out his car made 40 RWHP less then mine he got a bit mad. We both had the same set-up's, but he lost the 40 in his side pipes.

He had the guy at the dyno mess with his tune and after he got it off the dyno, he could not start it. Then on the way home, the fan's quit working and it overheated. He kept having the problem until he had the computer replaced. But it all started when the guy at the dyno messed with his tune. You can ask U1arunit about this.

So if you are willing to take that chance, just make sure you have all the supporting mods and a GREAT TUNER. I have learned a lot by asking the guys have done the mods. This is how I make up my mind on what I want to do. If you are unsure, just ask before you do.

Just remeber, it is all in fun & there will always be someone faster then you. Jeff and Mark are faster then me, but I am playing catch-up.....:2thumbs:

BurnTire
09-09-06, 11:14 PM
Just put the 17 PSI pulley on. Your not going to be faster. LOL

MinGry03
09-09-06, 11:28 PM
Just put the 17 PSI pulley on. Your not going to be faster. LOL

All I can do is try....:2thumbs: