PDA

View Full Version : How hard is a kenne bell install

Radeon
12-09-05, 04:18 PM
Just wondering if the install is a nightmare? I changed h/c/i on my 92 notch, put exhaust and procharger on my 96, so I think I may be able to handle it. Whats the average install time?

50 BMG
12-09-05, 04:24 PM
I assume a 2.2L KB is what you're referring too. I wouldn't get a 2.4 unelss your going to spin it past 21 PSI regularly.

Akuma (Kyle) did one on his own. Think Gene did his on his own as well. They can give you specifics.

I almost bought Kyle's KB and Aaron's whipple at different periods of time. IIRC he said it would take at least 4 hours with 2 guys minimum. Kyle convinced me to go with the whipple because the IAT2 temps seem to be very slightly lower, it costs less, and said it was way easier to install. Both blowers have advantages...it kinda comes down to what you really want.

Radeon
12-09-05, 04:31 PM
I almost bought Kyle's KB and Aaron's whipple at different periods of time. IIRC he said it would take at least 4 hours with 2 guys minimum. Kyle convinced me to go with the whipple because the IAT2 temps seem to be very slightly lower, it costs less, and said it was way easier to install. Both blowers have advantages...it kinda comes down to what you really want.

Yeah, it took me about 16 hours to install my procharger. I had no idea really what the hell I was doing at first, and did most of the work by myself. I have looked at both the kenne bell and whipple, but I love the sound of the kb. If I ever get one, it most likely be the kb. I have to ride in Gene's car though to make a final decision.

50 BMG
12-09-05, 06:06 PM
To me the whine is really the only "advantage" to the KB...but I'd like to hear my cams at high revs instead. Ported blowers are whiney bitches as well.

The new whipple is out and it's suppost to be more efficient than the previous generation 2.3's. Ironically I don't know of anyone with a whipple on the car right now in Phoenix.

Radeon
12-09-05, 06:43 PM
better hurry up and order/install that whipple then... :)

Gene
12-09-05, 06:59 PM
it took me 4 hrs. on my own. I am a big dude, so getting it on there wasn't a problem. I would recommend 2 people for the R/R.

Akuma
12-09-05, 11:06 PM
Its kinda a pain in the but the first time you ever do one. Give yourself sometime before you do anything. Read the "Distructions" and give your self a good weakend to do it. Oh yeah and get a buddy to come over and help.

Edit.. From what i have seen with the wipple Vs the KB I would go with the Wipple. Its way easier to install just plug and play, no cutting or splicing. I dont like how KB instructions are because they give you 3 different ways to install the damn thing.

Lucafu1
12-10-05, 01:54 AM
Ive removed the Eaton a few times. Its easy now. Once you do it the first time it will be cake. I can do it by myself, I just use a 2x4 to lift the S/C up and get the I/C bolts that hold the tubes in.
BTW I have the Reichard Racing (sp) spacer, now that is a PIA!

Luis

Venomous Bite
12-10-05, 10:39 AM
Doing a blower swap on these cars is very easy.