PDA

View Full Version : Clutch question

scooter3
01-15-10, 06:41 AM
2003 GT, 5 speed with 23,000 miles. Over the last couple of days I have felt a slight vibration or knocking under the floor board at the pedals. I thought my H pipe might need to be tightened so I crawled under the car and checked it out. Everything was ok so I started looking around for any suspension stuff and all of that looked ok also. When I got home this morning and pulled into the garage I noticed a grinding noise, but when I pushed the clutch in it went away. If I release the clutch the noise comes back and you hear a slight click. Could the clutch being going bad already with only 23,000 miles? I don't drive it that hard, but I am afraid the previous owner may have. Any help would be great.

Wades GT
01-15-10, 08:31 AM
2003 GT, 5 speed with 23,000 miles. Over the last couple of days I have felt a slight vibration or knocking under the floor board at the pedals. I thought my H pipe might need to be tightened so I crawled under the car and checked it out. Everything was ok so I started looking around for any suspension stuff and all of that looked ok also. When I got home this morning and pulled into the garage I noticed a grinding noise, but when I pushed the clutch in it went away. If I release the clutch the noise comes back and you hear a slight click. Could the clutch being going bad already with only 23,000 miles? I don't drive it that hard, but I am afraid the previous owner may have. Any help would be great.

The clutch cable may need to be adjusted or replaced.

ASUSMC
01-15-10, 08:40 AM
Throwout bearing.

4Jenna
01-15-10, 09:29 AM
Throwout bearing.

:yes:

BurnTire
01-15-10, 09:47 AM
The throwout bearing should not be spinning when the clutch pedal is released. Spinning all the time = premature bearing failure.

ASUSMC
01-15-10, 09:53 AM
Going through that right now actually. Dropped the tranny out of my car yesterday and my TOB was in quite a few pieces. It had siezed itself to the output shaft

scooter3
01-15-10, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will let it ride for now until I can find a shop that won't take me to the cleaners since I don't have the tools or knowledge to drop the tranny and check it out for myself.