PDA

View Full Version : Rear end issues/questions

99WhiteGT
02-19-10, 01:37 PM
Hey guys quick question for you guys. I have recently had a noise start to come from my rear end. It sounds like a metal to metal grinding, and it sends a vibration through my car. Its only when i make a tight right turn though, i can take right turns up to about 6mph without any noise but anything faster, while around a tight corner it will make this sound. I can take the 60 to 101 south right hand curve with no noise, so slight curves no noise, tight turns noise, but only right turns. Friend told me a wheel bearing but i want to see what you guys think?

Please any ideas would be great

BurnTire
02-19-10, 02:56 PM
Check your wheel bearings and brake calipers if the bearing has a bunch of play you could be hearing bearing/brake noise. Check to see if you can pull the axle in and out (indication of c-clip failure). Could also be differential related

99WhiteGT
02-19-10, 03:07 PM
Ok thanks, I will check the brake calipers as well, but i dont believe thats what it is because its not that kind of grinding, its more of a gears grinding sort of sound. Which tends to lead me to believe wheel bearing. If wheel bearings are good what are we talking about in the diff...gears, locker? etc.

Thanks for the advice

BurnTire
02-19-10, 03:19 PM
If it is a stock trac loc it could be the spider gears.

Ok thanks, I will check the brake calipers as well, but i dont believe thats what it is because its not that kind of grinding, its more of a gears grinding sort of sound. Which tends to lead me to believe wheel bearing. If wheel bearings are good what are we talking about in the diff...gears, locker? etc.

Thanks for the advice

99WhiteGT
02-23-10, 01:38 PM
Its an aftermarket trac loc, so i picked up the wheel bearing and seal today. I'm going to pull apart the rear end this week sometime, does anyone have recommendation on gear oil, i usually run royal purple 75w140, but i was talking to a buddy of mine and he said not to run that shit.

BurnTire
02-24-10, 12:20 AM
Amsoil is what I use.

QuarterHorse
02-24-10, 05:21 PM
Just a curiousity question...is there any fluid in the axle now? How many miles on the setup?

99WhiteGT
02-25-10, 02:20 PM
Yea, I have not had a chance to take it apart yet because of work so it still has royal purple 75w140 in it, That was the first thing i checked. I had to get an oil change anyway so instead of doing it myself I took it to somewhere and had them check the level. On the trac loc, about 30k, on the RP, I think about 7k. Why? Were you just thinking it was low or out of fluid?

QuarterHorse
02-25-10, 09:02 PM
Thats what it kinda sounds like. It sounds like something ate itself up. I haven't ran across issues with a diff making noise on a right turn only but that would indicate something wrong...really wrong. I use Valvoline synthetic in my 9" but I have a spool so no isuues there. I'm not familiar with Royal Purple so I can't say how good or bad it is. I'd be curious to know what it is.

99WhiteGT
02-25-10, 09:44 PM
Well I'm tearing apart my rear end on sunday so i will let you guys know what I find. If i can find my camera I will throw up some pics to. I went over to AMP today because it's about two miles from my work and the guy there told me wheel bearing as well. He said if only one was going bad then that would be why it was only around a right turn. If its anything to do with the trac loc I'm just going to due new track loc and 31 splines at PSR.

QuarterHorse
02-26-10, 08:12 AM
PSR is your best choice as far as I'm concerned. The issue with one wheel bearing being bad...sounds kinda fishy to me. If you had a wheel bearing bad you would have issues such as the seal leaking...constant noise...etc. Just noise on a right turn...those guys don't know what they're talking about...IMO.

99WhiteGT
02-26-10, 02:59 PM
Yea i like PSR better but like I said AMP is just 3 miles from work so I went down there at lunch. The reason I'm checking the wheel bearing first is because I have had multiple people that have a great deal of knowledge (all mechanics) say to check the wheel bearing. So that's what I am going to do first. I just hope that that is all it is. I was skeptical at first but how they all explained it to me is that if a wheel bearing is going out, when you turn right its pushing more on the axle shaft therefore the noise I am hearing. I don't know though. We will see. Thanks for the advice though because if its not the wheel bearing I am going to need any advice that you all can give me.

QuarterHorse
02-26-10, 03:15 PM
Well...I'm an ASE certified mechanic...not bragging...lol...but i've never seen or heard an axle bearing do that. They are under a load 24/7 but...there is a first time for everything...lol. Keep us informed...I'm really curious now.

99WhiteGT
02-26-10, 05:12 PM
Yea for sure ill let you guys know.

SloSVO
03-06-10, 09:05 AM
what ever came of this.. my vote is on the spider gears.. is the dif a auburn?

QuarterHorse
03-06-10, 09:36 AM
I haven't heard anything...I'm really curious myself. My feelings are spider gears as well. Hope he says something soon...

99WhiteGT
03-06-10, 10:11 AM
Sorry guys it's been parked that last two weeks because i just had the chance to get to it. The wheel bearing and seal are fine. I saw what was wrong right when I crawled under the car. The lateral link on the right hand side the bolt and bushing is gone, so everytime i turn right, the lateral link is loose so its pulling the axle and rubbing against my exhaust. So new question, can i do this repair myself, or.... anyone have any experience with this? If anyone from PSR is reading this what do you guys suggest?

QuarterHorse
03-06-10, 10:28 AM
well...looks like we all were wrong...LOL

QuarterHorse
03-06-10, 10:32 AM
Not familiar with the suspension from Mustangs of that year. Its just like anything else...remove the bad part put in a new one. Check everything else to make sure you don't have any other problems.

99WhiteGT
03-06-10, 10:43 AM
Sorry I dont think anyone calls it a lateral link anymore, it's the control link on top of the differential that keeps the axle from moving forward and backwards, one of the bushings and bolts is missing

QuarterHorse
03-06-10, 11:12 AM
Are those the same as the Fox Body cars? I have a set of BBK arms I need to sell.

QuarterHorse
03-06-10, 11:13 AM
I was thing 94 not 99....nm

BurnTire
03-06-10, 01:39 PM
Sorry I dont think anyone calls it a lateral link anymore, it's the control link on top of the differential that keeps the axle from moving forward and backwards, one of the bushings and bolts is missing

So the bushing was missing from the rear end housing or the control arm?

99WhiteGT
03-06-10, 01:47 PM
The upper control arm

99WhiteGT
03-06-10, 01:48 PM
BTW thank you to all who assisted me in the effort to finding this problem

BurnTire
03-06-10, 02:09 PM
The upper control arm

So it was the bushing where the arm attaches to the body of the car are not the bushing on the rear end side?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/part/250x250/M5500A.jpg

99WhiteGT
03-06-10, 03:05 PM
Yea the one that attaches to the body.

BurnTire
03-06-10, 04:40 PM
The ones in the picture above are Ford Racing Arms. Is you car mainly a street ride?

99WhiteGT
03-06-10, 04:44 PM
It is, for now, but i've been building it for quite some time, it has a a decent amount of power over stock.

BurnTire
03-06-10, 04:47 PM
What are your fix it plans?

99WhiteGT
03-06-10, 04:49 PM
Well I was planning on since i have to do one side just getting new upper control arms, and while I'm at it probably do the lowers at the same time. Do you have any advice, if i remember right you have been through a lot of diff setups.

BurnTire
03-06-10, 05:01 PM
Steeda makes some nice control arms. I have the weight jacker lowers and double adjustable uppers.