PDA

View Full Version : Hp Turbo kit

Dan
09-19-06, 01:13 PM
These pics are for everyone planning on building a twin turbo car. One of our customers had bought a kit from a turbo company in New Mexico, because everyone on this site said that they have the best kit. You might want to think twice before spending your money on this junk! This turbo kit was a head ach from day one.
First off we waited forever for the kit; the next hang up was they sent two headers for the same side along with the same side down pipe. It’s a good thing that we live in phoenix, because we had to go to Jet hot to pick up the correct parts personally. After we had the complete kit we quickly found out that the fitment was pure crap! For example the pipe from the header was so wrong that it bound the whole left side turbo causing the exhaust pipe hit the k-member. They also had fabricated a section of exhaust out of flex pipe that looked just like the flex tube at Pep Boys. After careful consideration we had decided to cut off the flex tube due to excessive leaks at that particular joint... the H-pipe was also a Gem all on its own, according to there instructions we would have to cut the pre existing cat back and weld the H-pipe in it’s place. So with that in mind I wondered what would happen if a clutch was ever to be done on this car? Would we have to cut the pipe off again? The answer was to either having the customer investing in a welder and a lift, or just make a new section of pipe so that the customer would be able to do his own clutch if he wanted... We also had noticed that the left tire would clearly hit the exhaust piping when making a right hand turn. After the kit was finally in and running we quickly had a problem, the car would not idle due to the inner cooler pipe being smashed with a hammer (Why didn’t they just buy oval pipe?) To make an oval to squeeze between the bumper crumple zone and the header panel not to mention that this would never seal correctly due to the crudeness of the ovaling, then trying to bolt to a round pipe. Needless to say we had to add about 1.5 inches to that pipe (due to poor fitment causing the exhaust to hit the k member that we have already mentioned). After we finally had the car running again we noticed a whistling noise from under the hood. Yep you guessed it another problem. The turbo company in question also has hit the tube that went from the inner cooler to the Throttle body with a hammer to make to oval pipe for the acufab (please see the pics and notice all the dents caused by the hammer in question) and the hit it so much that it was now concaved (reward for this hammer because this tech clearly should not possess a tool with this much power) and not able to seal (but they had it coated that must be a A+ for them!). We have had so many problems with this kit that we now have elected to trash the entire kit all together and make all our own Pipes for this unit. I am not talking shit and I took pics to back up my statements. I’m sure that company does nice work when it is at there shop as for the mail order kits…. Well lets just say I would rather have a large wing and a body kit from a ricer magazine than to mess with another one of there kits.

yes this is all from shaggys car

this is my verndor review

Viper_ed
09-19-06, 02:14 PM
:no: :ohno: :nono: :talktothehand: :bananabang:

I was considering one of their kits for my Foxbody, but the more I researched about them, the better it got! Sure make me glad to know I chose to go with Helion's kit instead!!! :2thumbs:

matt
09-19-06, 02:18 PM
Although your intention is not to bash it can be construed as such. A positive direction for this thread would be to include descriptions and pictures of the re-worked system, explain in greater detail the adjustments needed to see this project to fruition. We appreciate your ability and skill when it comes to rectifying this problem and can empathize with Shaggy's misfortune however this thread should not be part of the problem rather the solution. I would render the same warning and suggestion to any vendor when critiquing another vendors product.

:1cool:

Ethan@S3M
09-19-06, 04:28 PM
Didnt you do this a while ago. I thought I saw a thread you posted on Svt about the same kit 2 months ago.

BurnTire
09-19-06, 04:34 PM
From what I understand the car isn't done yet, but getting close.

Dan
09-19-06, 05:21 PM

50 BMG
09-19-06, 08:00 PM
Although your intention is not to bash it can be construed as such. A positive direction for this thread would be to include descriptions and pictures of the re-worked system, explain in greater detail the adjustments needed to see this project to fruition.

Normally I would refrain from commenting on situations such as this... Dan is a good friend of mine and Aaron (Shaggy) is the closest thing I'll ever have to a brother. Disclaimer done.

This situation can be construed in many angles; it makes zero difference to me. What does matter is the fact that Aaron paid retail price for a HP kit (I refuse to even type out that amount of money) and all that's left of the original kit is 2x 57mm turbos, a A/A intercooler, 2 pieces of the piping and most of the silicon connectors for the piping. I personally took 90% of the pictures of this car.

and can empathize with Shaggy's misfortune however this thread should not be part of the problem rather the solution.

IMO, the solution in this case is education through awareness. This is not an isolated incident with HP turbo mustang kits.

AZSonicSnake
09-19-06, 10:48 PM
think this speaks volumes for if you gonna have a turbo done, have a good shop do it, and don't go mailorder on yourself...

Viper_ed
09-20-06, 06:39 AM
Hey guys, this is America right??? :scratchchin: If any company puts something that poor of quality out their door, the deserve any and all negative comments that people express about it! :wtf: If that means someone badmouths a vendor, WHO F'ING CARES!!! :dunno:

Boards like this help us the consumer and true enthusiast avoid falling victim to the junk and bad shops out there. We as consumers have to research our decisions. I had a similar problem arise when trying to research RWTD on svtperformance.com and the D1ckbag Lightinig Larry banned my username because I asked why no one was allowed to post about RWTD.

I just hope everyone will come top their senses and allow stories like this to be told and continue to allow people to express their TRUE negative feelings about a bad product, none of the Sugarcoated BS! :twocents:

:flaggen05:

matt
09-20-06, 09:46 AM
I was not trying to suggest that customer awareness about bad products should not be discussed simply wanted to shape the thread in a more positive light. I would consider Dan my friend as well and if I have offended anyone it was not my intent. I appreciate Dan's reply it was constructed well, to the point and absolutely necessary for anyone doing research on what turbo kit to purchase. So, please excuse my overreaction and carry on.