PDA

View Full Version : Getting gears, what do I need?

scooter3
03-01-10, 07:44 AM
Finally getting around to getting gears, but what exactly do I need other then the gear set? Install kit or full bearing kit? Oil, friction modifier? The car only has 24,000 miles so I was not sure if the full bearing kit was necessary or just the install kit.

Thanks in advance!

Stanger00
03-01-10, 11:54 AM
I just dropped my car off at AZ Differential. They did everything for me when I had my rear end rebuilt.

When I first had mine installed I did a master bearing kit since my car had 50k miles. I also got the master bearing kit because the gears I bought didnt come with a shim kit. I suggest buying FRPP since they come with shims.

Stock trak-loks require friction modifier and it should be listed in your owners manual.

BurnTire
03-01-10, 04:48 PM
Finally getting around to getting gears, but what exactly do I need other then the gear set? Install kit or full bearing kit? Oil, friction modifier? The car only has 24,000 miles so I was not sure if the full bearing kit was necessary or just the install kit.

Thanks in advance!

24K isn't a ton of miles, but I would still do the full install kit as it isn't that much more money.
Many lubes have friction modifier added. Check the brand to determine if it has friction modifier built into the lube.

SloSVO
03-01-10, 11:21 PM
are you doing the gear install yourself? most shops want you to replace everything so there are no issues later.. I've changed just the ring and pinion only on my nd friends cars and had no issues.. but for peace of mind...

trucker
03-02-10, 01:32 AM
just take it to AZ Differential and let them take care of it all they do is rear ends Nate or Henery are great to deal with and they stand behind there work

BurnTire
03-02-10, 02:23 PM
This is an alignment bar in my rear end after AZ Differential supposedly straighted it out.
They had my rear end for a few weeks and failed big time.
1. Bent my studs. (They Replaced them)
2. Failed to straighten it correctly (Big chain and jack)
3. Axle tubes Leaked due to their straighten methods. (Resolved)
4. Ordered axles that were too long. (Had to machine)
5. Axle bearing failed and blew grease all over the place after a few miles. (They don't last long when he tubes are bent)

http://www.highperformancestangs.com/gallery/data/521/P2210028.JPG

http://www.highperformancestangs.com/gallery/data/521/P2210030.JPGThey assured me it was straight after multiple returns to the shop and telling them the axles bearing were tough to get it. I asked them of they had an alignment bar in the rear end and they said yes. Yea Right.
They also looked bad in the eyes of those who referred me to their shop.
Based on my negative experience I do not recommend AZ Differential.

Finally I took the rear end to Darryl Smith Race Cars (http://www.darrylsmithracecars.com/index.htm) to straighten and brace the housing. He cut the ends off and used his welding procedure to align the tubes then re-welded the ends back on. His 3.73 gear install lasted many runs. When I switched to the 3:55s the old bearings and gears still looked perfect. The rear end is still working fine after many low 10 second runs. Darryl is an excellent professional to deal with. He may not be the cheapest, but remember you get what you pay for.

http://www.highperformancestangs.com/gallery/data/521/P2290044.JPG

Stanger00
03-02-10, 04:57 PM
Tried to save a bent axle and AZ Diff couldnt produce. Personally, I wouldnt take my stuff there for "Race" prep stuff like you had done.

My work was simple and my axle housing wasnt bent. All they had to do was install a Trac-Lok, axles, bearings, seals, set ring and pinion and throw on 3" studs. Picked my car up 2 days later and no gear whine or clunks from the rear end. I have about 1k miles on it now. Nate, also gave me 12 months to try and destroy something...everything is covered except the ring and pinion since those are not pro-gears.

I dont understand something but is it common practice to save a bent axle? I figure its the cheap way to fix it. I have little to no knowledge with bent axle tubes but I figure one would have to cut the bent tubes and re-weld them back on when they are lined up.

SloSVO
03-02-10, 05:30 PM
time to go to the track and make some 6K launches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BurnTire
03-02-10, 07:05 PM
I dont understand something but is it common practice to save a bent axle? I figure its the cheap way to fix it. I have little to no knowledge with bent axle tubes but I figure one would have to cut the bent tubes and re-weld them back on when they are lined up.Yes you don't understand as housing straightening is a common practice. You can take just about any used 8.8 housing and put it in a jig and the axle tubes will not be perfectly straight. You don't cut the tubes off as they pressing into the housing center section. My 9" ends were cut off not the axle tubes. A professional rear end shop will ensure that customers receive a straight housing prior to collecting the customers hard earned cash. I was referred to AZ Diff by a drag racer. AZ Diff assured me they could fix the housing. Anyone that knows me well knows I don't talk negatively about a business unless there is a legitimate reason.

Anyway below is a link on how Darryl Smith Race Cars straightens housings.
http://www.darrylsmithracecars.com/dsrcnew/8.8%20housing%20narrow.htm

Stanger00
03-02-10, 08:27 PM
Now, if I ever have the need to have 9" axle ends welded to my car I will know where to go.

BurnTire
03-02-10, 08:46 PM
Now, if I ever have the need to have 9" axle ends welded to my car I will know where to go.

Yes DSRC does meticulous high quality work.

I know many are happy with AZ Diff gear installs and everyone is free to choose where to do their business. I am just sharing my first hand experience with them.

scooter3
03-02-10, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the info! I have heard good and bad things about AZ Diff. I am actually taking the car to Haney Motorsports and having Casey do the install. He has done all the other work on the car. I just wanted to make sure I have everything I need to get it done. I am really looking forward to waking the car up a bit. I will keep you posted on how it turns out.

CobraGT87
05-05-12, 01:05 PM
with only 2,000 very mild miles on mine, I surely wouldn't think I'd need a full bearing kit. maybe just an install kit just to be safe. Extreme Perf was quite high on the Labor at $550. I'll look at AZ diff on Monday

CobraGT87
05-30-12, 04:08 PM
trucker & BurnTire (http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/member.php/10-BurnTire) , Thank You for telling me about AZ Diff. Had my gears done yesterday and those people are terrific. nice price, top quality work, very friendly as well, they offered me breakfast if I wanted, that surprised me. I told them I'll send them all the referals I can.

also found out some very good info on Fords new FRPP gear sets thru a gent who worked on Fords rear assembly line. the new part# 4209-88373 which involves Fords new heat treat process for stronger gears replaced the 4209-F373N last year. These new ones seem to come with very tiny burrs on the pinion teeth. we had to buff them off. they didnt even show on pasting. we discovered it after getting it all done, drove down the street and I heard what can best be described as a sound like a rock stuck inbetween a tire tread. it was a very very light TICKING which only occured under coasting in neutral from 35mph and slower. drove back, popped them back out did the buffing and tick gone. this was not their fault and pasting didnt even show the burrs. they were on the toe end and the extreme edge of wear pattern. setup with .007 backlash and perfect pattern.. now as quiet as stock with an increase in intown mileage UP 2mpg to 19.5 mild driving habits.

I couldn't be happier. Traction is laughable in 1st & 2nd with ATC off. LOLhttp://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd258/CobraGT87/Mustangs/RearGirdle-aa.jpg

Wades GT
05-31-12, 12:20 AM
I had Az diff instal 4.10 gears about 2 years ago. They did a good job for me. I have put about 8,000 miles on my car since then with no problems.

brentsSVT
06-07-12, 10:27 AM
I won't be going back to az differential either. I want thrilled about the work they did work me. Id rather pull my pumpkin out and take it to ford.

BurnTire
06-07-12, 10:36 AM
I won't be going back to az differential either. I want thrilled about the work they did work me. Id rather pull my pumpkin out and take it to ford. I see you experienced what I did years ago.

BurnTire
06-07-12, 10:38 AM
NoLemon does installs at his house. He has a Lift.

4jenna can get you in contact with him. He did my last set.

SloSVO
06-07-12, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the info! I have heard good and bad things about AZ Diff. I am actually taking the car to Haney Motorsports and having Casey do the install. He has done all the other work on the car. I just wanted to make sure I have everything I need to get it done. I am really looking forward to waking the car up a bit. I will keep you posted on how it turns out.Lol..casey was going to use my setup tools for the Install..lol..

Jodaddy
06-07-12, 01:00 PM
NoLemon thats a name i havent heard in a LONG LONG time

scooter3
06-07-12, 07:28 PM
Lol..casey was going to use my setup tools for the Install..lol..

Haha....that is pretty funny. Never had Casey do the work for obviouse reasons so AZ Diff did the work and did a great job.