PDA

View Full Version : starter or relay/solenoid

Bernout
03-28-10, 10:48 PM
I gotta 90 5.0 stang and the problem just started today. I was at home depot, car was warm..turn the key and nothing, no clicks or anything. Was i stuck for over an hour, car's still not "cold" and still nothing. I had no tools, my uncle came over and used a screwdriver on the relay, started right up. And now, 4 or so hrs later, it starts right up. He says it needs a solenoid, but since he started it with it and there isn't one on the starter, I figure thats good. From what it looks like, the starter is OE, my guess its the starter. What do you guys think?

Mr. Austin
03-28-10, 11:19 PM
If it started up just fine then it is the solenoid. I see it all the time. On you car there is a fender solenoid and it is the easiest one and way to change them. 20 bucks gets you a new one. I wouldn't waste time/money on a starter if you don't have to. PLUS if it is the starter it its always wise to change the solenoid at the same time so you dont have this reoccurring in the future.

Bernout
03-28-10, 11:28 PM
sounds good thanks

Mr. Austin
03-29-10, 11:25 PM
Np. Just got done dealing with a brand new honda. Guy bought a battery from us and when her said he put it in it did not work. SO i went out front and played with it and by the time i was done about 45 min later i had replaced his negative wire and a few fuses (all free of charge) After that it still just clicked. He took it over to fast lane they switch out the starter and gave it to me about 3 hours later. when i tested it the starter was bad, so as a core i thought i would pay with it and change the solenoid on the started and sure enough it was putting out more than ever.

SloSVO
04-04-10, 12:23 PM
also keep an eye on the ignition switch.. it could be coming apart..