PDA

View Full Version : Starter Solenoid Issue...

89GT
06-04-10, 03:05 AM
I went to start the stang today and the starter kept cranking the engine and would not stop without disconnecting the battery cable... I tried taking off the ignition wire on the solenoid, but it still cranked. Measured the Ohms between both terminals and obviously it had welded itself. Went to Autozone, replaced the solenoid. Maybe 5 starts and it does it again, welded inside again... I picked up a solenoid from Carquest, and it has been working so far. My question is, what causes this? The car has a new starter also. I see everyone in other forums converting to the 94-96 (i think) starters... I just don't see the point of changing something that was engineered to be this way from the factory, and obviously, I am not looking to buy a new starter when I have one already... I have also read that the Ford solenoids are better quality, I am not surprised the VatoZone ones went to crap so quick...So, I am asking opinions, is it really necessary to convert to the newer style starter? Should I just go to ford and get a factory solenoid? Enlighten me Please! :wtf:

4Jenna
06-04-10, 04:12 PM
Sounds like it might be a wiring issue.

No it's not ness to swap to a newer starter that has the solenoid on the starter.

DVSRICK
06-07-10, 03:44 PM
Sounds definitly like a wiring issue. you shouldnt have to change the starter. I would check for any bad groundes or wires that have fussed themselves by all the hot spots.

89GT
06-08-10, 12:24 AM
When I got the car it already had a new starter. I'm guessing the solenoid from autozone was a bad one cause the one from carquest has been working with no issues... hmm

89GT
06-08-10, 12:24 AM
Nice Fox by the way!

DVSRICK
06-09-10, 12:33 PM
Nice Fox by the way!

Ya its my turd and never ending prodject :icon_cool:

swirl
07-03-10, 10:30 PM
they had a recall on ignition switches so it could be that

89GT
07-08-10, 12:32 AM
I was thinking that too, but it has been great for over a month now. It would crank even with the ignition signal wire disconnected... not a fun ordeal

swirl
07-08-10, 12:40 AM
with the signal wire diconnected and it still starts then its the solenoid