PDA

View Full Version : Race at the Base-San Diego

Rick Shopmier
08-05-10, 03:12 PM
September 25 & 26 will be the "RACE AT THE BASE" for Fleet Weeks in San Diego/Coronado Island. I am lifting my personal boycott on California to go the this, afterward I will reinstate it. I am told that this year the theme will be Carrol Shelby Race Cars. This is vintage Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros and the like plus historic Nascar, FIA and Trans-Am. Need more info??? Goto www.fleetweeksandiego.org (http://www.fleetweeksandiego.org) . The event is the Coronado Speed Festival. This is similar to the Montery Historic Road Races at Laguna Seca. I have been there and it is awsome. There are lodging deals thru Fleet Weeks Foundation (619-858-1545).

GasMan
08-06-10, 08:25 AM
What are you driving to the event, or are you just putting it out there?

Rick Shopmier
08-06-10, 02:01 PM
I'm taking the GTI. Matt's flying in for the weekend and I'll collect him at the airport. Reitz is going and I don't who else.

GasMan
08-06-10, 02:38 PM
I'm taking the GTI. Matt's flying in for the weekend and I'll collect him at the airport. Reitz is going and I don't who else.

Are you and Joe planning on leaving together? If so when? I need to look at my calendar to see if I can leave on Thursday or Friday.

Rick Shopmier
09-28-10, 04:53 PM
WOW, what a weekend. Saw some awsome cars and racing, a car show (about 500 cars). We also got to test drive a Mercedes Benz C63 AMG, E63AMG and SLC63AMG on a road course (solo runs) these cars were all past 500 HP and freaking quick. There were 9 race classes, the top 3 were Group 7 (59-66 Production, the GT350R's & Cobras and like), Group 8 (all Vintage NASCAR) and Group 9 (Trans-Am, Mustang BOSS, 69 Camaro and Firebird, AMC Javelin (winner) and Dodge Challenger/Cuda and the like. The Fleet was in and there were 3 active Aircraft Carriers in port, USS Ronald Reagan, USS Chester Nimitz and USS Carl Vinson. We got to tour the USS Vinson....see inside of the storage hanger, ride up to the flight deck on an aircraft elevator (these things are quick...had to pull my shorts up) to the flight deck, then we toured the Navigation Bridge. Next we toured the USS Pickney Battle Ship and went into the Fire Control Room (where the aim/shoot the missiles and cannons). Add to that good food, lots of cold beer and some sunburn. Note: We were told this was the hottest weekend of the summer, hell summer is over. You can see more pictures at www.wildwestmustangsaz.com (http://www.wildwestmustangsaz.com) goto user galleries>racer00>race at the base - fleetweeks - san diego to see some of my pics. We are going next year to celebrate the first 100 years of Naval Aviation.

05mustangman
09-29-10, 04:03 AM
Looks like an awesome time Rick! Wish i could of went!