PDA

View Full Version : Throwout bearing=dead?

Blue
02-11-11, 09:12 PM
Sooooo driving home from getting some food, and the car started making a terrible squealing noise followed my the clutch being hard to push in and a hot metal smell:jaw-dropping:. My guess is that its the throwout bearing. So tomorrow I'll be replacing the throwout bearing as well as the roller pilot bearing. This will be the first time I've dropped a transmission. Does any one have any tips or advice that will make it a little easier or help me get the job done without f'n anything up? Anything would be appreciated.

trucker
02-11-11, 09:41 PM
you might want to check you collar on the transmission also
and the presure plate fingers you may have fried the whole works

Powerful
02-11-11, 10:59 PM
Have a friend help. The trans is heavy and it helps to have someone control the jack while the other manages the trans. Another thing that might help just a bit is loosen the engine mounts. It will allow the trans and engine to tilt back a little. Also mark the driveshaft flange and the pinion flange so they go back together the same way they came apart. Chilton book is worth the $25. When you put the new throwout bearing on grease the bearing retainer with some high temp wheel bearing grease.

Blue
02-12-11, 01:09 AM
Got a friends thats gonna help and I've had the Chilton since I got the car. I did some reading and some one else had a similar problem, only theirs didn't take a dive like mine. For whatever reason the fingers weren't lifting off of the bearing all the way and cooked it. I've got my fingers crossed for the bearing being the only thing that got toasted.

IMSHAKN
02-12-11, 05:55 PM
Eh, just bench press the tranny out.

Blue
02-12-11, 06:16 PM
Today was almost a success. One friggn bolt didn't want to come out. Anyone know of a good shop in Tucson that does good work?

Blue
02-12-11, 06:17 PM
Eh, just bench press the tranny out.

Haha! I wish it were that easy.

IMSHAKN
02-12-11, 06:20 PM
Lol, it is

Blue
02-12-11, 06:44 PM
Luckily the base has an auto shop with almost everything I need. So no bench press for this guy. Have you heard of aastro transmission?

Powerful
02-13-11, 10:17 PM
Chuck Hawks performance and Auto. Good guy that knows Fords and I used him for 10 plus years.

Blue
02-23-11, 01:06 PM
ITS ALIIIIIVE!...... I finally got everything installed. All I need to do is get the cable adjusted and have no fun for 500 miles.