PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting a new clutch cable.

Blue
02-24-11, 12:38 PM
Hey every one. I just got done with installing my new clutch and was wondering if any one has input or experience with adjusting the clutch cable. I've been trying to get it to where the clutch engages in the middle of the pedal movement but i can't seem to get it to be any where else but the top. Thoughts?

BurnTire
02-24-11, 01:49 PM
Do you have an aftermarket firewall adjuster, quadrant and freeplay correction spring?

Also a correctly setup clutch will have about 1/8" to 1/4" freeplay between the throwout bearing and the pressure plate fingers. You do not want the throwout bearing spinning all the time.

Blue
02-24-11, 01:55 PM
i have everything except for the spring. I know what happens when the throwout bearing spins all the time. It's not pretty.

Blue
02-24-11, 02:13 PM
I just checked out the freeplay correction spring. Would that help get me the 1/8 to 1/4 inch of distance between the throwout bearing and clutch fingers?

BurnTire
02-24-11, 03:34 PM
It will take out the slack / dead feel in the pedal and help keep the TB away from the fingers. Push the fork away from the pressure plate and see what the spacing is now. The spring will keep it there. If you have too little spacing the TB will wear out prematurely if you have too much you risk not totally disengaging the clutch and breaking stuff.

Do you have a quick release single hook quadrant?

Blue
02-24-11, 09:02 PM
Ok. I'll have to get one ordered then. I have the max motor-sport double hook quadrant.

BurnTire
02-24-11, 10:28 PM
What clutch do you have?
I liked the Steeda Quick Release Quad.

Blue
02-24-11, 10:30 PM
I have a spec stg 1, spec billet steel flywheel, and the max motor-sport firewall adjuster and double hook quadrant.