PDA

View Full Version : 6 Speed Tranny Problems

Rick Shopmier
08-08-11, 08:46 PM
NHTSA is checking on complaints about the Mustang 6-speeds in V-6 and GT's for 2011 and 2012 model years having problems with locking in gear and not going into gear,they say it affects about 26,000 cars. So far not enough complaints to warrant a recall but it is interesting that the trannys are made by Getrag and a (you guessed it) joint venture with a Chinese company. Found this story on the Autoweek Magazine web site.

Jacostang
08-08-11, 10:07 PM
Well, there is a huge discussion over at TMS and S197 Forums, they got Fords attention now and I hope that they do a recall/fix because my car will never see the mileage warantee limit before the time runs out....So far I have not any issues except it being a bit "notchy" when cold...:yes:

Wharf Rat
08-08-11, 11:00 PM
I've seen soooo much shit on the internet about these trannys breaking and not shifting and just don't get it. This is my 5th new Mustang in 10 years and the 2011 is BY FAR the smoothest best shifting of any of them from the factory (02 GT, 03 Cobra, 06 Roush, and 07 Roush). The 02 and 03 had miserable stock shifters and were notchy and noisy as hell with the Pro 5.0's that I put in them (plus the stock TOB in the Terminator had a very short life- 5k miles if I remember right). The 06 and 07 sucked with Pro 5.0 and Roush shifters but kicked ass with the MGW.

I have 21 passes on the '11 (stock shifter and clutch) and the only bad shift related runs were me "launching" in 3rd once and the dreaded clutch stuck to the floor issue once while attempting to powershift. I even bent one of the stock 31 spline axles that are considered fairly durable but the tranny is holding up just fine. So I don't get it. First stang I've ever owned that I didn't buy a shifter in the first 3 months, never missed a shift (YET), and has held up beyond what the rearend did. I'm pretty damned impressed and happy with it for now.

Who knows, might blow like an underinflated Firestone on an Explorer on I-8 during the first pass this fall but till then I don't have a bad word to say about this tranny. I MIGHT get an MGW shifter based solely upon my past experience with them but if not I'm sticking with the stocker.

Jacostang
08-08-11, 11:11 PM
Yeah, There is like 32 cases out of how many cars. Mine is fine , but have not really abused it to bad, since I put the FRP Tune in it the skip shift is all gone and its way better! I love the way this car pulls in 3,4, and 5th gear!