PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 4 cyl LX hatch with a 5.0 in it through AZ emissions?

PapaVolume
10-23-11, 02:08 PM
Hello everyone, my brother in law is thinking about buying a mustang that is for sale locally however I have some concerns about it getting through emissions. It was originally a 4 cyl car(lx hatch) that was converted with a carb'd 5.0 setup with t5 and 8.8 rear. Is this going to pose any problems? (other than the fact its not catted). I'm hoping I can just throw a catted mid pipe on the car and be good to go but a coworker seems to think its not going to pass either way.

Rick Shopmier
10-23-11, 06:56 PM
Good luck! I helped a friend to this to a 89 LX (4 to 8) in Colorado in about 1998. The issue is the emissions stations, CO uses the same outfit as down here, the problem is the visual inspection and the vin. As a 89 it was to have FI but instead a carb..."FAIL". Even though we put cats on they would run the test and even if it passed the stink test it would fail, and we would have to pay. So here it is, first check the AZ law on the visual inspn. If you car is a pre-FI car it needs to still have any smog devices that were on the car at the time. Me, buy the car if you can title and tag outside the emissions counties, still can drive it any where. In our case we took the car Idaho where there were no emissions, and used a relatives address, worked for us.

brentsSVT
10-24-11, 03:41 PM
yea, its not going to pass. they are gonna open the hood and say wtf

02stangGT
10-24-11, 03:44 PM
get classic car insurance then you won't have to worry

brentsSVT
10-24-11, 09:42 PM
But to do that I believe you need proofread of a daily driver and your limited to how much you can drive mileage wise. Don't quote me though

Rick Shopmier
10-24-11, 10:11 PM
From what I read the car is a LX (79 to 04), then it is a Fox body (sn95's were evolved Foxs), then it will not qualify for the emissions exemption by virtue of age. Collector insurance will not work here. Move to Flagstaff....problem solved.

SloSVO
10-24-11, 11:48 PM
the LX nomenclature ended in 93.. depending on the company, your daily can't be older than the car with collector car insurance..