PDA

View Full Version : MGW Shifter?

66Pony
01-01-12, 09:37 PM
Has anyone installed the new MGW shifter for their MT82? Been hearing about them on other forums and watched the intro and install videos on their website. Looks like some real nice engineering that Ford did not think of or bother with in the OEM shifter. My MT82 has been fine so far, but I do notice the shifting is not as crisp as you would expect and a little notchy at times. The install looks straightforward and the cost is around $350. Doesn't sound like a bad investment if it improves the shifting significantly. Wondering what others think. I have a 2012 V6

05mustangman
01-01-12, 09:41 PM
I have it in the 2010 GT500. I know their not the same transmissions but the quality of the shifter is amazing! And it is definitely a great improvement over the stock shifter. Not sure how the V6 shifters are but the GT500 one was fairly notchy. The MGW isnt and goes into gear very easy.

66Pony
01-01-12, 10:12 PM
Good to hear. Did you do the install yourself? Looks easy in the video - but then I don't have a lift.

Seems like you have to hunt for the gears in the MT82 with the OEM shifter. You have to ease it back into first at the stoplight and apply a little side pressure to get into second. Sixth seems a little sticky too most times. I'm getting used to it but wouldn't mind something that is a bit more definitive all around.

05mustangman
01-01-12, 11:22 PM
I didnt do the install myself I had Shelby American do the install cause we were getting other work done at the same time. But finding the gears under high rpm was tricky with the stuff shifter sometimes. Not always but sometimes. The worst for me was getting it back into first gear and shifting into second under heavy load. But havent experienced any problems with the MGW.