PDA

View Full Version : Roadcoarse Event at P.I.R

Craft
01-03-07, 08:59 PM
If anyone is interested, NASA is having an event January 6th and 7th at Phoenix International Raceway (this weekend). I'll be running my black 07 GT in HPDE 2. This is a high performance driving event with four, twenty minute sessions on the track. There are also full race groups with all types of cars.
The HPDE groups that I run in are actually a drivers school, with classroom instruction and track time with an instructor for beginers. You can progress through the school and eventually qualify for a competition license.
I'm running in HPDE 2 which has limited passing zones, and I don't have to have an instructor in the car with me.
While four, twenty minute sessions my not sound like a lot, it's a pretty good work out.
The best part? No speed limits, no speeding tickets!
If anybodys interested contact me or go to clubracingaz.com and check it out.

C0braFan
03-12-07, 01:03 AM
Okay, this sounds very cool. I don't like drag racing because I think it's a stupid and pointless sport, and autocrossing is solo racing around cones, which is also lame. I think amateur NASA events on real race tracks with other drivers sounds like a real blast. I'll be signing up!

RockysMom
03-12-07, 08:56 AM
Tell me when they will have another one please, I would like to do this, I agree CobraFan, I will not drag my baby. But I would do a course run.

C0braFan
03-12-07, 12:17 PM
I spent about 2 hours browsing clubracingaz.com and nasaproracing.com. All you need to do is join NASA for $40 and buy a helmet.

Click HERE (http://168.158.29.110/newdriver.asp) to read the instructions on how to sign up as a new driver.

Click HERE (https://www.nasaproracing.com/joinrenew.html)to become a member of NASA for $40 (which comes with a magazine subscription and free pass to all NASA events for the year).

The next event is this coming Sunday, March 25: "PIR Comp School, TT & Race Test&Tune" whatever that means. :) I think TT is Time Trial. What I want to know is, how much does training cost? The clubracingaz web site is vague on prices and details, so I guess it would help to know someone. I'm just going to show up and learn what to do when I get there, I guess.

It would be great to display CMC decals on our cars--that is, any members who get involved in NASA (like myself). I would like to get a large magnetic "CMC" for my car. Any suggestions?

p.s. One of the reasons why I'm pursuing this is because street racing scares me. Leaving the Peoria car show at 83rd on Sat, there was a dude in a Z06 teasing me with throttle blips at a stoplight onto I-10. I won't pretend that my 330-ish 4.6 GT can take a 500-ish 7.0 Vette, but by the time the guy got on it I was a hundred yards down the onramp. He caught up about a half mile down the freeway, but I backed off. I expected him to destroy me on the onramp.

I realized I need to do this in a controlled setting because it's ridiculously fun. ;) There have been a couple other times out on Baseline near where I work, once with a Subaru STi, and another time vs a Charger R/T. The Charger R/T is hopeless against a manual Mustang GT, because the A/T shifts too soon. The STi has 300 hp, but the torque is typical import fare...200-ish, so if you are doing 80 mph and need to accelerate, a GT has tons of grunt left, while an STi has to downshift and work up to it.

So, yeah, scary-stupid, which is why I'm taking it to the track.

AZSonicSnake
03-12-07, 02:07 PM
so let me get this straight, you street race, but yet you think drag racing is a stupid pointless sport? hmmm...i fail to understand the logic.

C0braFan
03-12-07, 02:40 PM
so let me get this straight, you street race, but yet you think drag racing is a stupid pointless sport? hmmm...i fail to understand the logic.

No, that's not what I said at all. But since you see what you want, and ignore details, I won't bother trying to explain it to you.

Craft
03-12-07, 02:48 PM
I checked out the NASA site and it seems to be working a little strange right now. I haven't run for a couple of months and the group has been undergoing some changes. If I remember right, I think DE 1 was $170 for one day, but It looks like it's cheaper now. You do have to register on the NASA site and pay. Usually they have drop down menus with the options and prices, but it isn't doing that right now.
If you can, sign up for DE1. Read all the info on both web sites, as far as tech and procedures. There was an article on the NASA site, something about "First Day at the Track". Gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect. Get there early. You don't want to be rushed. Pay attention in class. You need to remember everything they tell you. Really.
In DE1 you will always have an instructor in the car with you. All the instructors are accomplished high performance drivers and racers. At my first event, my instructor was a former Bonduant School Instructor and current SCCA spec miata champ.
If you pay attention in class and do what your instructor tells you, things will go good. If you don't, bad things may happen. Yes, people have crashed their cars (with instructors onboard!). Mostly because they try to go too fast too soon. If you want to impress your instructor, do what they tell you.
I don't know if magnetic signs are allowed on the track or not. Check the rules. Even as a beginer you will hit some pretty high speeds.
I will probably go to the next event, look foward to seeing some more mustang people there.

AZSonicSnake
03-12-07, 03:17 PM
Okay, this sounds very cool. I don't like drag racing because I think it's a stupid and pointless sport, and autocrossing is solo racing around cones, which is also lame. I think amateur NASA events on real race tracks with other drivers sounds like a real blast. I'll be signing up!

guess my reading is going to hell, but thats what you said...to the t.....

but its all good. we all have our favorite forms of racing. and get our thrills in different ways.

C0braFan
03-14-07, 05:30 PM
guess my reading is going to hell, but thats what you said...to the t.....

I should have phrased it "I think drag racing is stupid", but that's kind of an assumption when someone makes a statement on a board..and it is just my opinion.

I disclaimed my post three times, showing my fear of street racing....that I don't agree with it, and the few examples I provided were to nail home the point that it's dangerous. But everyone is tempted at the stoplight once in a while..

"One of the reasons why I'm pursuing this is because street racing scares me.... I realized I need to do this in a controlled setting.... So, yeah, scary-stupid, which is why I'm taking it to the track."

C0braFan
03-14-07, 05:33 PM
If you can, sign up for DE1.

Thanks a lot for all the advice! I'm trying to sign up for DE1 but no one responds to my inquiries about how, when, where, how much.... I did get a reply from Cliff Orbach, who is the director of training and Class 1/2 lead instructor, and this is how helpful he was: "sign up for the next hpde 1 class , that outa getcha pointed in the right direction".

So....heheheh....maybe they don't want newcomers joining the club.

BurnTire
03-14-07, 05:33 PM
:wosautos130: Drag Racing Rules:wosautos1200:

HIKER
03-14-07, 06:06 PM

+1.........

HIKER
03-14-07, 06:10 PM
Do they ever run a session with a pace car were classics like mine can run at a paced speed. I know some other tracks around the country do this...I believe NASA did it once with street version Cobra's at PIR...Thanks..

C0braFan
03-14-07, 07:07 PM
Do they ever run a session with a pace car were classics like mine can run at a paced speed. I know some other tracks around the country do this...I believe NASA did it once with street version Cobra's at PIR...Thanks..

Yes, in fact there are some non-performance V6 cars running in the HPDE 1/2 classes in April, with free instructor-ride-in training for NASA members. This is still fairly fast but controlled. It's not open-track racing.

The HPDE classes are for beginners who just want to get out on a race track and have some fun. It's not serious competition. Of course I have yet to do this myself, having just started getting involved. I'm going to the March 25 event at PIR even though I won't be driving (not for beginners), but will meet some people and say hello. It's open-parking near the pits for NASA members. So, yeah, very cool.

Get signed up for April...which is the event for first-timers. Join NASA for $40 and on-track instruction is free. Also NASA membership gets you into all events for free as a spectator too.

Craft
03-15-07, 09:35 AM
Hiker, I know the type of session that you are talking about. I have not seen that done in a while. I did one several years ago. It was fun and wetted my appetite for more.
NASA's HPDE (which stands for High Performance Driver Education) program is just what it says. You will learn to drive at high speeds on a race track.
HPDE1 is for the beginer. They have classroom time that covers everything from rules and procedures to driving techniques, before you ever go on the track.
There is no pace car, but sometimes they do have speed limits. There is no passing in the corners.
It is pretty safe because all the cars have a ride along instructor to keep things controlled.
If your car is as nice as it looks, I'm not sure I would take it on the track, just because there is a lot of rubber debris left from the race cars ("tire turds") that can scuff the paint or leave small dents.

CObraFan, I'm sure they want new members, because the events don't always sell out, and it seems to be fairly tough to make ends meet. This year there was some sort of merger between the two different groups, NASA which is a national group, and Club Racing AZ, a local group. I think there wasn't enough participation to support both groups, so now club racing az runs the arizona region NASA events. If I rember correctly, clubracing lost $23,000 last year.
Club Racing AZ does not seem to be as participant friendly as NASA was. Sometimes the leaders seem to be a bit short.Don't let this discourage you. Once you get to the event it will be worth the hassle. The school and instructors are top notch.
One thing with Club Racing AZ the website doesn't seem to be updated as often as NASA's was, so you kinda have to check back often. Sign up for DE1 as soon as you can because it almost always sells out quick.

C0braFan
03-15-07, 11:29 AM
If your car is as nice as it looks, I'm not sure I would take it on the track, just because there is a lot of rubber debris left from the race cars ("tire turds") that can scuff the paint or leave small dents.

Thanks for the advice, Craft. I will take the 06 out to learn the ropes, but not for the long term. I'm building a retro racer out of my 68 coupe, which is a stock 302-4V like the Dean Gregson T/A car featured here (http://www.trans-amseries.com/Drivers/NickDeVitis.htm) (now owned by Nick De Vitis).

It will be in the same vein as this car, Jerry Titus' T/A racer (http://www.historictransam.com/OriginalDrivers/JerryTitus.htm), and Shelby's Terlingua (http://www.terlinguaracingteam.com/index.php)coupes, with the full race treatment, but street legal. Another reason why I'm inspired by Dean Gregson's 68... Donald Farr told me that Ford's "mechanical prototype" Boss 302 was actually a red 68 coupe with stock 302-4V engine!! It was fitted with Cleve heads to simulate the upcoming Boss 302 engine's power output while the Boss 302 engine was in development. How much fun would it be to recreate the Boss mechanical prototype?! It brings attention to the oft-ignored coupes, while the 68 Fastback (i.e. Bullitt) gets all the attention.

Nightmare
05-01-07, 02:14 AM
I am already signed up to run i will be out there probly sat i am running a black 03 cobra are any of you in DE yet
http://a587.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_f218d1d4a0448aac962fcc7fa57ef5fa.jpg

Craft
05-02-07, 10:33 PM
Nightmare, I am not going to run at this event. I have a 74 Bronco that I have got to paint before the weather gets too hot. This weekend will probably be my last chance for a while.
I think we may have met. I have a black 07 mustang GT that I run in HPDE 2.
Hopefully I can do the June event....

4doorfoxy
08-25-07, 12:34 PM
I am already signed up to run i will be out there probly sat i am running a black 03 cobra are any of you in DE yet
http://a587.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_f218d1d4a0448aac962fcc7fa57ef5fa.jpg

I know this is an older post but I'm glad to see that some of you are getting into the NASA events, I've been working them for 3 years now at Firebird, PIR, and occasionally Cali Speedway in Fontana. Nightmare, I've see you out there this year, the kid with the other black cobra is a good friend of mine as well.

Too bad some of you didn't get interested a little sooner, since CRA took over the Arizona region of NASA things have changed completely. I prefer the way the old group ran the sessions and weekends better but CRA has brought a few new interesting things to the table as well.

Now that I'm back in Arizona after the summer I'll probably be showing up more often either working the track or doing some of my racing photography. I'm the official photographer for the Arizona Corvette Racers so if I'm not working I'm doing that. If anyone has been around a while, I'm one of the "white shirt" workers that most of the drivers praise so much. That group is my racing group up here (I'm the VP) and we have been working those events for several years now. There was a small falling out with my club and CRA but I'm working on getting us back at the track again. If you've been around a while you've probably seen me on a corner, working grid, or working race control (but you wouldn't see me doing that lol).

So anyway, I hope to see a few people at the track (and eventually on it once I replace my transmission and fix a few other problems).

Nightmare
08-25-07, 04:55 PM
hey i knew you would find these forums sooner or later i guess it was later any way i may not work for the guys with CRA cuz i still have a grip of track bucks that i need to use i worked the track befor your club was there remember i worked with warren ...but any way i fixed my car and i will be back at the track but this time with more POWER and a stiffer car

I know this is an older post but I'm glad to see that some of you are getting into the NASA events, I've been working them for 3 years now at Firebird, PIR, and occasionally Cali Speedway in Fontana. Nightmare, I've see you out there this year, the kid with the other black cobra is a good friend of mine as well.

Too bad some of you didn't get interested a little sooner, since CRA took over the Arizona region of NASA things have changed completely. I prefer the way the old group ran the sessions and weekends better but CRA has brought a few new interesting things to the table as well.

Now that I'm back in Arizona after the summer I'll probably be showing up more often either working the track or doing some of my racing photography. I'm the official photographer for the Arizona Corvette Racers so if I'm not working I'm doing that. If anyone has been around a while, I'm one of the "white shirt" workers that most of the drivers praise so much. That group is my racing group up here (I'm the VP) and we have been working those events for several years now. There was a small falling out with my club and CRA but I'm working on getting us back at the track again. If you've been around a while you've probably seen me on a corner, working grid, or working race control (but you wouldn't see me doing that lol).

So anyway, I hope to see a few people at the track (and eventually on it once I replace my transmission and fix a few other problems).

4doorfoxy
08-25-07, 08:49 PM
haha, I didn't know it was you lol I still have your pictures btw, got stuck with crappy internet access over the summer so couldn't really send them but I'll definately get them to you now! Congrats on fixing the car, was it the blower like we thought? You could always give me some of your track bucks, I'll help ya get rid of them :icon_cool: I think I only have enough for one weekend left from when Warren was here.

06GT
09-25-07, 12:04 PM
I'm a little late to reply to this topic, but NASA puts on GREAT events at PIR and Firebird. I've done 4 of their HPDEs since September '06, and they are all a BLAST.

You're getting the same type of instruction and course training that you will get at Bondurant at a fraction of the cost!

I'll be on track again for their next event on 10/6/2007!

Craft
09-27-07, 06:13 PM
I'll be there on the sixth also. Anybody else going? I'll be in the black 07 GT with nitto redlines...

06GT
10-18-07, 12:18 AM
Yo, sorry I didn't see this before the 6th--it was great to meet you!
I'll be at the Thanksgiving Weekend event, only the Saturday portion, though. They are adding a 5th session to DE2 and DE3 for both days, for 100 mins track time per day! :D

Also, open BBQ at the track after the day is done!

Craft
10-19-07, 07:18 PM
I had a great time at the last event (except that first session). Three Mustangs in group 2 was pretty cool.
The Thanksgiving weekend event sounds like it's gonna be a good one. At this point it looks like I'm going to New Mexico for the holiday weekend. I'm really bummed because it's the last event of the year.
Oh well, I guess I shouldn't have any trouble finishing the brake ducts before next year.

Gene
10-20-07, 10:46 AM
Yo, sorry I didn't see this before the 6th--it was great to meet you!
I'll be at the Thanksgiving Weekend event, only the Saturday portion, though. They are adding a 5th session to DE2 and DE3 for both days, for 100 mins track time per day! :D

Also, open BBQ at the track after the day is done!

Have anymore info? I'd love to do this.

Nightmare
10-22-07, 12:57 AM
i plan to go so long as my car stays together lol hey is a link to the NASA/CRA web site

http://www.clubracingarizona.com/

i got started out the by working in the corners as a corner marshal in return for track time not to sure if that is still the deal if you are intested in this guy call kyle 480 283 7184 he is the corner worker organizer

Have anymore info? I'd love to do this.

5.0Stanger
11-23-07, 10:42 PM

I'm glad you and everyone else has an opinion. Please drive through.

Nightmare
12-07-07, 06:45 PM
i am taking my instructor class this weekend and to make it intresting it will be raining :wtf:

vicious781
12-07-07, 06:52 PM
Well since my buddy wont be at Speedworld this weekend, I will go out with you to get some pics/vid. I'll bring my DSLR!

Venomous Bite
12-18-07, 01:39 PM
When is the next event? The clubracing az site is not working for me.

HIKER
12-18-07, 04:12 PM
Well since my buddy wont be at Speedworld this weekend, I will go out with you to get some pics/vid. I'll bring my DSLR!

Man....who did that photoshopping on your hood...awesome!

Craft
12-23-07, 09:59 PM
When is the next event? The clubracing az site is not working for me.
January 5 & 6 is the next event. I signed up for the 6th. The website has been a little weird lately as they are getting ready to change everything over. You may have a little better luck on the nasaproracing.com website. I think if you click on the registration link, it should eventually get you to the info for the arizona region. If this doesn't work let me know.

4doorfoxy
01-01-08, 01:18 PM
I plan on hitting up a lot more NASA events this season, not with my car quite yet but definately doing my racing photography thing and later working for tracktime once my car is in better shape. Not sure if I'll make the event next weekend as I've got a couple other things already planned but I'll definately let everyone know when I'll be there so you guys will know I'll be taking pics!

FalconGTHO
01-15-08, 02:48 AM
Crap, ANOTHER thing Ive missed out on. I always wondered if there were open track events at PIR. Count me in for the next one.

06GT
01-21-08, 02:02 PM
If people still want to do this, CRA/NASA has already started the 2008 season!

Next events are January 25/26th weekend and the first or second weekend in March!
This is a great way to learn how to drive quickly and safely at minimal cost!

www.clubracingaz.com (http://www.clubracingaz.com)
www.nasaproracing.com (http://www.nasaproracing.com)

I will be back on-track for the season starting with the March event!

FalconGTHO
01-24-08, 12:54 AM
Damn, this sounds cool. Who needs to piss away thousands at Bondurant when you have this?

Sqrlnts
07-12-08, 03:59 PM
Can anyone else see the schedule on www.clubracingaz.com (http://www.clubracingaz.com/) ? If so could you post it up here? I can't seem to see it? I read they have an event coming up in Sept. Would be fun for sure.

chewbaccajones
07-12-08, 04:05 PM
A NASA event today, one on Aug 16th, Sept 13th and 14th, October 4th and 5th, Nov 29th and 30th.

Sqrlnts
07-12-08, 04:10 PM
thanks