PDA

View Full Version : Octane Booster

Jacostang
01-03-07, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know what is the best Octane Booster that really works besides Race Fuel of course or is it a waste of money????? The last stuff I tried was by Champion and it said it was the max for street use up to 15 points, so that would put the pump gas 91 to about 92 or almost 93? Right?

BurnTire
01-03-07, 10:29 PM
Torco.
http://www.jbsblownc5.net/html/torco.html#5gal

Will raise a full tank to about 95 octane.

Mixed with 5 gallons of 91 will equal 100+.

What car do you need to increase octane in?
If the car is tuned for 91 octane this will not help it run better.

Jacostang
01-03-07, 10:41 PM
The 89 GT, if I dont put at least 91 in it it will ping a little and the last time I tried to put 87 ( In California) it really hated it!! Now I carry some around with me all the time and just add some when I put gas in. The only time I actually fill it up is when we are driving long distance.

BurnTire
01-03-07, 10:44 PM
The 89 GT, if I dont put at least 91 in it it will ping a little and the last time I tried to put 87 ( In California) it really hated it!! Now I carry some around with me all the time and just add some when I put gas in. The only time I actually fill it up is when we are driving long distance.

Torco will help.
Or bump the timing back a little.

Jacostang
01-03-07, 10:50 PM
Cool Thanks Jeff!! Still savin the Iron for ya!!

Justin@VMP
01-18-07, 03:06 PM
Most of the stuff you can buy off the shelby is junk IMO.

I've heard Torco works decently, but have not done any testing myself.

If you mix your own xylene or toulene then that can work, but you've got to watch the stoich point, if you change it you'll need to add more fuel through tuning.

BurnTire
01-18-07, 06:31 PM
Justin
The torco works well.
I have run full timing at 19PSI with zero problems.

Justin@VMP
01-18-07, 06:52 PM
Justin
The torco works well.
I have run full timing at 19PSI with zero problems.

Cool, how many *?

BurnTire
01-18-07, 07:04 PM
I run 23 on the race tune.

JoeT
02-17-07, 10:17 AM
I know this is an old post but just thought Id toss in my 2 cents. I have used a few gas additives, since I currently own a 2007 Mustang I havent used it in it yet.

From past experiences with older cars I found my best bang for the buck is Octane 104. I added to my 1979 Trans Am and it makes a world of difference. Says for offroad only but thats more to protect themselves, Ive had no issues whatsoever with this product. I also always use Super Unleaded with the Octane 104.

99_venom
02-19-07, 09:21 PM
Torco works great. I use it in the lightning with 20 degrees and 17# of boost. Only problem is it turns your plugs brown and makes it hard to read them for pinging or AF.

I buy it by the 5 gal can. The last one I bought was $185.00.

Blueovalboy
02-25-07, 08:42 PM
What is the procedure to up the octane in a full tank of 91? How do you know how much to mix in? I guess my real question is how long will 5 gallons of it last you?

BurnTire
02-25-07, 09:29 PM
Below are the results of mixing 32oz with 10 gallons on 91 octane gas. If you mix a full 32oz can with a tank of 91 octane you are getting around 93-94. If you mix it with 5 gallons of 91 octane you are getting 100+ octane.

I get my torco here
http://www.jbsblownc5.net/html/torco.html#5gal

At the track I use 109 octane race gas. I use the torco on the street.

Hope this helps.

Justin@VMP
02-26-07, 09:24 AM
Also, race fuels will often have a very different stoich point compared to pump gas. For example, VP 109UL has a stoich point in the 13s, so you need quite a bit more of it to get the same a/f ratio as pump gas.

BurnTire
02-26-07, 11:14 AM
Also, race fuels will often have a very different stoich point compared to pump gas. For example, VP 109UL has a stoich point in the 13s, so you need quite a bit more of it to get the same a/f ratio as pump gas.

So in plane english you are saying you need to run a richer MAF Transfer on race gas compared to a street tune?

Justin@VMP
03-01-07, 06:33 PM
So in plane english you are saying you need to run a richer MAF Transfer on race gas compared to a street tune?

Well, you need to change the stoich point in the tuning software. Some will let you do this, but in some you may need to adjust the base fuel table or wot multiplier. Your maf xfer should be correct so you don't want to go and make it inaccurate (and make load inaccurate).

evil04cobra
03-02-07, 07:14 AM
Well, you need to change the stoich point in the tuning software. Some will let you do this, but in some you may need to adjust the base fuel table or wot multiplier. Your maf xfer should be correct so you don't want to go and make it inaccurate (and make load inaccurate).

That's what I like to see, someone giving out excellent information. :pepper:

jophis37
03-21-07, 11:51 PM
I haven't tried this personaly, but it's supposed to be a great product.
It's called Octanium, new to the market. Developed and sold through MTI out of Houston, TX.
They claim that 1 bottle treat up to 15 gallons, and will take a tank of 93 octane to over 100 octane

Here's the link:
http://www.motorsporttech.com/c6_accessories01.asp

vicious781
03-22-07, 11:10 AM
I haven't tried this personaly, but it's supposed to be a great product.
It's called Octanium, new to the market. Developed and sold through MTI out of Houston, TX.
They claim that 1 bottle treat up to 15 gallons, and will take a tank of 93 octane to over 100 octane

Here's the link:
http://www.motorsporttech.com/c6_accessories01.asp

Hmmmm....that almost seems too good to be true

The Nunn's
05-08-07, 10:03 AM

BurnTire
05-08-07, 10:51 AM

jophis37
05-08-07, 11:04 AM
I don't pretend to know much about tuning but, how does adding octane add horsepower, unless the tune requires it, ie more timing or more boost. If the tune is the same and is tuned on 91, then all you should need is 91 right, and running higher octane should only help prevent pinging. I know you guys get some high temps ij the summer, so I could see the benifet of running higher octane as a preventive measure, but how would it give you more power if the tune didn't require it. Again I don't know much about tunning and I'm always looking for more insight on the matter.

BurnTire
05-10-07, 12:43 AM
I don't pretend to know much about tuning but, how does adding octane add horsepower, unless the tune requires it, ie more timing or more boost. If the tune is the same and is tuned on 91, then all you should need is 91 right, and running higher octane should only help prevent pinging. I know you guys get some high temps ij the summer, so I could see the benifet of running higher octane as a preventive measure, but how would it give you more power if the tune didn't require it. Again I don't know much about tunning and I'm always looking for more insight on the matter.

If you are going to up your octane you should run the appropriate timing for max power gain and performance.

If you are running 93 octane 17 degrees on 19PSI and put 109 octane into the mix you should advance to MBT of 23 degrees for the best gains.

Indy
05-10-07, 01:32 AM
Does anyone know what is the best Octane Booster that really works besides Race Fuel of course or is it a waste of money????? The last stuff I tried was by Champion and it said it was the max for street use up to 15 points, so that would put the pump gas 91 to about 92 or almost 93? Right?

:scratchchin: In older cars with a performance engine I would use torco to prevent pinging in the summer or just pull a little timing out. But if I were trying to add octant booster for more power then I would only use 109 race gas and have the car tuned for it. Otherwise your just paying more for the gas if you don't get it tuned for the higher octane. So IMHO it just depends on what your are trying to accomplish as to which one I would recommend. Just my :twocents:, for what it worths.

BurnTire
05-10-07, 01:35 AM
Good reply Shane.
I did even know we had a 2 cent smilie.

Indy
05-10-07, 01:57 AM
Thanks

At a shop I worked at back in Indiana we did a lot of testing on this subject. We tested different boosters for power on the dyno, at the track, and in the hot humid summers back there. With aggressive timing and bumped up compression you would get a little pining on the street with pump gas in the summer, but a little torco would cure it without the loss of power you get when you pull timing. And torco was the only one that actually helped in all three areas. BUT I WOULD NEVER use it in place of race gas for a balls out tune for the track. Race gas does make more power when tuned for it, a lot more.