PDA

View Full Version : '99 Cobra brakes engaging while driving:

vchamp
02-21-12, 05:41 PM
My '99 Cobra has a perplexing problem, in that the brakes engage when they shouldn't.

Can feel the calipers gripping when starting off in 1st gear, & can feel them grabbing as
I'm driving down the road. Brake pedal feels very stiff & "grainy".

This is intermittent, seems to begin to happen 20-30 min after start-up & leaving garage.
May or may not continue or it may just start braking normally.

My usual shop here (1), and then the Ford dealer (2) have been unable to
diagnose or correct this problem.

scooter3
02-21-12, 06:21 PM
Funny you should bring this up. Mine have been doing the exact same thing for a while now. Almost like I have the e-brake pulled or something. My brakes have all been redone with new pads, hydoboost and rotors and still feels like this. I thought it was normal.

vchamp
02-22-12, 10:37 AM
No, not normal. something's bad wrong, but what ?
Is yours constant or intermittent - sometimes much more
"braking" than other times ? When mine's worst, grabbing hardest,
can smell burning brake material & gotta stop for a while.
Have you tried to get yours looked at for this, or fixed ?

BurnTire
02-22-12, 12:14 PM
Well there are only so many things that can be causing this. Does it feel like all the wheels are grabbing or just the rears? Have anyone tried pulling the ABS fuse (under dash, brakes will still work just no ABS) and seeing if the problem is still there?

03cobrazzz
02-22-12, 08:33 PM
Well there are only so many things that can be causing this. Does it feel like all the wheels are grabbing or just the rears? Have anyone tried pulling the ABS fuse (under dash, brakes will still work just no ABS) and seeing if the problem is still there?
ford replaced my calipperpins and brakets and we ground down the lever on the calipper to give the cable more slack since it is not adjusteble rearpads wore down inside and in an angle this fixed itcalippers binding on pins when cars get higher milage

scooter3
02-23-12, 07:03 AM
No, not normal. something's bad wrong, but what ?
Is yours constant or intermittent - sometimes much more
"braking" than other times ? When mine's worst, grabbing hardest,
can smell burning brake material & gotta stop for a while.
Have you tried to get yours looked at for this, or fixed ?

Mine is intermittent. Tonight on my way to work no issues. Yes there seems to be more braking then others, just depends. I can't smell anything and I have not had anyone look at them as of yet, but may do that when I get my shocks installed.