PDA

View Full Version : I've been day (and night) dreaming about getting my new car....

JimInNY
02-26-12, 06:09 AM
It's a 2012 GT Premium 5.0, 6 spd auto.

I clicked the banner here for American Muscle and found some cool stuff for this car, but before I go dropping a grand or two, I figured I'd seek the opinations (I hope no grammar police here) of those who know better than I.

The first thing I want to do is call the dealer Monday morning and ask how much to toss in the 3.73 gears. Next on the list is one of those Boss 302 manifolds and cold air intake kits with the Bama tuner, if they won't mess with the stock classification of the car at the drags. And last would be a Borla Stinger S-type Axleback exhaust.

I ordered the 2012 NHRA rulebook last night and will use that to guide me along the way, but the above mods should be legal in the stock class, if things haven't changed much over the last 25 years. :)

So, does anyone have any input? Am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Wharf Rat
02-26-12, 08:13 AM
Looks about right but I'd get an O/R H pipe and a tamer catback.

JimInNY
02-26-12, 12:23 PM
Looks about right but I'd get an O/R H pipe and a tamer catback.

Everyone said you'd come to no good...

Thanks, but what's an O/R H pipe and a tamer catback? lol

I'm an old timer, I don't know the lingo yet.

BurnTire
02-26-12, 12:25 PM
I say keep the cats or get a high flow set. I hate the fumes of an OR pipe.

JimInNY
02-26-12, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty sure cats have to stay to run stock classes, right? So I was intending to keep them anyway. If the OR pipe eliminates the cats, then that would be out.

BurnTire
02-26-12, 12:47 PM
OR is off road. No cats. Stink pipe.

Wharf Rat
02-27-12, 09:59 AM
I know it's supposed to stink but I can't smell anything weird on my car (no cats).

BurnTire
02-27-12, 10:10 AM
I know it's supposed to stink but I can't smell anything weird on my car (no cats). I have a good nose. I rode in new 5.0's with O/R pipes and I can smell the fumes.

JimInNY
02-27-12, 06:48 PM
She's in the driveway tonight. WOOOT!

It reminds me of the old days, that nice low rumble as I drive along. I flashed back to being in the back seat of my father's 428 Mach 1 as a kid. Awesome feeling! :)

Tomorrow, I will get pictures and finally have something in my garage here. Then I might find it ok to post and ancient picture of me as an 18 year old punk standing next to my 71 convertible 351c ram air 4v taken back in 1977. I'll be embarrassed, but I'll do it. lol

Now it's time to go out for a drive with the dog and get us some dinner. I know, excuses, excuses...

BurnTire
02-27-12, 06:50 PM
Congrats on the new addition to the garage. :thmbsup:

JimInNY
02-27-12, 08:41 PM
Thanks!

Man, I was checking out the car in your garage, holy shiites!

Can you keep it quiet enough to sound like the sleeper it looks like? :1cool:

BurnTire
02-27-12, 11:38 PM
It has stock manifolds, catted x pipe, and flowmaster mufflers. Super Quiet. Look at some of my vids in the media section.

JimInNY
03-18-12, 09:26 PM
Just got my MT 265-40-18 ET radials mounted up on new wheels, tossed them on the car and tried them out.

Is holy shit an adjective?

Those things provide some serious gription. I sprayed down a good sized burnout area outside the bay door on my shop. I backed into the puddles, and put all 215 lbs of me into that brake pedal, the tires break loose at about 21 - 2200 rpm, spin for about 2 seconds, then start hooking up and throwing the car sideways. I had to let up. I didn't even get enough spin to get a good read on contact with the pavement, so back into the puddles, and this time, as soon as they break loose, I let off brake and push the pedal through the floor. They hooked up in the still somewhat damp area in the lot, I was like WTF?

On the third try, I guess my timing was a bit better and I did get some wheel spin out onto dry pavement, but only about 3 feet. lmao.

I get a full foot print with 24lbs in each tire. I didn't even bother trying to adjust from there. That will come at the track.

So now I'm ready to see how she leaves on dry pavement, and I pull out of our lot onto a road that runs along a river and freight train line, so there's not much that can be disturbed or annoyed by a quick test launch. I hold the brake, bring it up to 2k, count down a tree in my head, and nail the beast. I get a a sissy sounding little squeak out of the tires and a little over a tenth of a mile later, I let up at 80 MPH.

This thing is such a strange animal. I know I had ET radials on it, but they weren't even warm...

30 years ago, if I bought a car reputed to have 415 HP at the engine, and all it could do was squeak a tire, I'da shoved it up the ars of him that sold it to me. Yet, I am loving this. There is no time wasted at all spinning tires with this thing.

Maybe tomorrow I'll bring my laser range finder to work and range out an 1/8 mile.
:pianodance:

BurnTire
03-18-12, 09:44 PM
So when does your local Drag Strip open?

Wharf Rat
03-18-12, 09:58 PM
Maybe tomorrow I'll bring my laser range finder to work and range out an 1/8 mile.

Range out 2 of them and run the full 1/4!

For what it's worth when you get to the track those tires will hook better with less air pressure. I've had about a dozen sets of drag radials over the last 10 years and pretty much across the board the sweet spot is somewhere around 15-17 PSI.

JimInNY
03-18-12, 10:20 PM
Lebanon Valley opens for test and tune April 15.

I'm too chicken to run 1/4 mile on the street now. When I was a young man, suffolk county police had 318 Plymouth Volares, and I had all sorts of big block horse power advantages most of the time. Plus, the cops back then liked a little horseplay on the streets at night. It broke up the routine.

Now the cops are too serious and they will bring in the army, navy, marines, tactical air support, IEDs, whatever it takes to apprehend and punish them that try to mock the law,

JimInNY
03-18-12, 10:29 PM
Hey Wharf, how can anything hook up any better than that little squeak I hear? Seriously, my mother's 73 225 plymouth duster could spin its tires more and that was the slowest car in the history of the world.

Wharf Rat
03-19-12, 09:08 PM
On a prepped tack with DR's you should be able to launch north of 4,000 RPM. You'll cut better 60's with a slight spin than launching at a lower RPM and bogging.

BurnTire
03-19-12, 09:22 PM
On a prepped tack with DR's you should be able to launch north of 4,000 RPM. You'll cut better 60's with a slight spin than launching at a lower RPM and bogging. He has an auto :awsome:

Wharf Rat
03-19-12, 10:04 PM
Oh shit that's right! Sorry, never made a pass in a stick car so you're on your own.

BurnTire
03-19-12, 10:29 PM
Oh shit that's right! Sorry, never made a pass in a stick car so you're on your own.

Autos Rule :bounce:

Wharf Rat
03-20-12, 08:32 AM
The auto/PD blower cars are FLYING. If I got another one that would be the route I'd go.

IansBAJ
03-21-12, 10:31 AM
Autos Rule :bounce:
Never thought I would see that I get crapped on all the time for having an auto.

BurnTire
03-21-12, 10:39 AM
Never thought I would see that I get crapped on all the time for having an auto.Shit breaks with a stick. LOL