PDA

View Full Version : FRPP Coil covers

Wharf Rat
06-11-12, 08:22 PM
Broke down and got a set of the FRPP coil covers. The stock grey ones always looked cheap to me. Not sure if it was worth $220 or not but it looks good (esp. with the Boss intake). Pics don't do it justice. Only concern I have is if the aluminum coil covers will hold in a relevant amount of additional heat than the plastic stockers. I am going to do an experiment tomorrow (or not) and measure the temps of the coils with no cover, stock covers, and aluminum covers.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss201/Desert_Rat_46/100_0862.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss201/Desert_Rat_46/100_0863.jpg

Wharf Rat
06-21-12, 04:13 PM
The heat's no big deal. Did 20 mile runs today (110 ambient temps) with no covers, stock covers, and aluminum covers. COIL temps averaged 191-197 in all 3 configurations. The FRPP units are here to stay and look even better to me after putting the stockers back on to do this test today.

JimInNY
06-26-12, 09:54 AM
The heat's no big deal. Did 20 mile runs today (110 ambient temps) with no covers, stock covers, and aluminum covers. COIL temps averaged 191-197 in all 3 configurations. The FRPP units are here to stay and look even better to me after putting the stockers back on to do this test today.

So I can put my stock covers back on with the comfort of knowing that it makes no difference, with or without?

Thanks for doing to research! :)

Wharf Rat
06-29-12, 01:10 PM
So I can put my stock covers back on with the comfort of knowing that it makes no difference, with or without?

I'd say so. If I only picked up a 5-10 degree difference when it was 110 outside (and I have longtubes so my underhood temps are elevated anyway) I'd think everybody else should be ok... Maybe bumper to bumper traffic or road racing would be worse but I'd say my "test" was pretty extreme.

JimInNY
06-29-12, 05:56 PM
My motor is going to start looking more and more like yours soon. I think I am giving up on trying to preserve my warranty now. lol

I like the look with the Boss manifold, the CAI and those covers, very nice.