PDA

View Full Version : My Level 5 Problem

BurnTire
03-08-07, 01:56 PM
Well my level 5's have a problem.

On the test drive things seemed to be well.

Then after 5 miles I started hearing a clicking out of the right wheel when turning. Then a few miles later I heard it out of the left.

Got home and re checked the torque on the bolts and they were fine at 225 ft/lbs as recommend by DSS.

I pulled the knuckles and did some research on MF and found that other people have had issues with the hubs being tapered and the inner race spinning on the hubs. Really I wish I had known this before the install so I could have check the hub specs prior to install

I notice that the inner race was spinning on the hub.
So back to the machine shop to press things apart.

We checked the hub and found that the inner portion was .005 narrower than the outer.

The outer was 1.655 and the inner is 1.650

This doesn't work well with a 1.652 bearing.

I spoke with DSS and the are sending new hubs out. They admit they have this problem from time to time, but I couldn't get a definitive answer as to why this occurs.

I was told that they are currently redesigning the hubs and the out CV's.

So they car is down until the new hubs are here. Oh yea they are out of stock which makes things better.

To say the least I am dissapointed. I know I will get crap from you solid axle guys. LOL

ASUSMC
03-08-07, 02:03 PM
Put the stockers back in and run that beast!

BurnTire
03-08-07, 02:09 PM
Put the stockers back in and run that beast!

LOL
I am about ready to.

The only reason I went to the level 5's was to accommodate the 28" slicks on a 6000 RPM launch.

The stockers held up well for my runs on the ET streets leaving at 4000 to 4500 RPMS, but I don't think they will last long on the new slicks.

If the new hubs created any problems the stockers are going back in. The problem is the bearings are $80 a pair and when you press them out they are junk.

I could take the wifes bone stock GT to the track and turn a 14 on Saturday.

ASUSMC
03-08-07, 02:11 PM
Do it. Put the slicks on there and you will run a 13!

BurnTire
03-08-07, 02:12 PM
Do it. Put the slicks on there and you will run a 13!

LOL. I can see those 28 spline axles exploding.

BIGV
03-08-07, 03:33 PM
Burn here is some more info http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/dss-level-5-questions-possible-issue-74228.html?highlight=dss+level
This is the second part of the upper posthttp://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/part-2-dss-level-5-questions-possible-issue-resloved-74717.html?highlight=dss+level

BurnTire
03-08-07, 03:39 PM
Thanks I have read those already.
My hubs had the splines correctly machined.
So there is some other issue causing the problems.

AZSonicSnake
03-08-07, 04:22 PM
ouch. that blows. any idea when they will have them back in stock?

oh, and i have too, but i thought i would let you know this has never been an issue with the axle in my car. :bounce: :pepper:

BIGV
03-08-07, 04:41 PM
I really considered this upgrade but after so many problems I think I will wait till my oem shafts break if they ever do.

silver03cobra
03-08-07, 05:27 PM
jeff if you want you can have the tires back... and you can go to pauls shop and get all the stock shit back on with the et streets.....

BurnTire
03-08-07, 05:27 PM
ouch. that blows. any idea when they will have them back in stock?

oh, and i have too, but i thought i would let you know this has never been an issue with the axle in my car. :bounce: :pepper:

Yep getting shit from the Solid Guys. I knew it was coming. LOL

BurnTire
03-08-07, 05:29 PM
I really considered this upgrade but after so many problems I think I will wait till my oem shafts break if they ever do.

If I knew this was going to happen I would bought a new stock shaft as a spare and took it to the track as a backup.

BurnTire
03-08-07, 05:33 PM
jeff if you want you can have the tires back... and you can go to pauls shop and get all the stock shit back on with the et streets.....

The tires are yours. Thanks for the offer.

I am going to call DSS early next and see if I can get an ETA.

If this drags out too long the stockers are going back in or I will start a solid build up.

AZSonicSnake
03-08-07, 06:58 PM
Yep getting shit from the Solid Guys. I knew it was coming. LOL

HAHAHAH....you did ask for it...lol...

even though i am bummed, i was looking forward to getting to see you monster run this weekend....

BurnTire
03-08-07, 07:35 PM
HAHAHAH....you did ask for it...lol...

even though i am bummed, i was looking forward to getting to see you monster run this weekend....

I am bummed also. I was looking to put down a best time.

50 BMG
03-08-07, 08:49 PM
Akuma was asking 500 bucks for his 5's...

Still has them...

03cobrazzz
03-08-07, 10:21 PM
uh nothing better than a solid axle.but i m happy that you found it before going down the track.i heard people losing there wheels with the hubswhen it comes loose.:woot2:

BurnTire
03-08-07, 10:30 PM
uh nothing better than a solid axle.but i m happy that you found it before going down the track.i heard people losing there wheels with the hubswhen it comes loose.:woot2:

Yea wheel loss would suck.

May people have level 5's with no issues, but I have read multiple posts relating to the hubs tapering and bearing problems.

I don't know what I am going to do. I will probably wake up someday and look at the car on jack stands, get pissed and order a built 8.8 with 9" ends and be done with it.

BurnTire
03-16-07, 10:30 PM
Still down waiting for these mystery hubs to get manufactured. :thumbsdown:

AZSonicSnake
03-17-07, 01:42 AM
so glad those kinda issues don't exist with my solid....:biglaugh:

BIGV
03-17-07, 07:36 AM
That just sucks I mean for me I can't even get out of the driveway we got like 2 foot of snow today. You however have sunny sky's that just plain sucks.

RockysMom
03-17-07, 09:00 AM
Move to Arizona, where we can drive our babies all year round and have fun with them hehehe:pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

BurnTire
03-17-07, 11:08 AM
so glad those kinda issues don't exist with my solid....:biglaugh:

OK bushing killer:biglaugh:

ASUSMC
03-17-07, 06:12 PM
OK bushing killer:biglaugh:

I have that same problem...

AZSonicSnake
03-18-07, 12:12 AM
i love bushings. they are tasty. :pinkthumb:

silver03cobra
03-22-07, 04:16 PM
Jeff did not ask you when i was on the phone but have you called DSS ?

BurnTire
03-22-07, 06:19 PM
Jeff did not ask you when i was on the phone but have you called DSS ?

I call ever couple of Days.
They have been saying in a few days for 3 weeks.

autoxstang
03-27-07, 03:39 PM
I hate hearing that your are having problems with your lvl 5's. I've noticed the last batch of axles they have released have had a bunch of issues. I purchased mine back in Oct. and mine have been ok except the outer boot busted open after 3 months. So look out for that.

BurnTire
03-27-07, 03:47 PM
I hate hearing that your are having problems with your lvl 5's. I've noticed the last batch of axles they have released have had a bunch of issues. I purchased mine back in Oct. and mine have been ok except the outer boot busted open after 3 months. So look out for that.

I just sent my axles overnight to DSS.

DSS has a new outer CV and Hub that has just been designed.

I was told if they have my axles by Thursday they will ship Friday with the new parts.

So hopefully I will have this car on the road after being down for a month.

BurnTire
03-28-07, 03:36 PM
Well my axles are on their way back to me after this month long fiasco.

ASUSMC
03-28-07, 03:44 PM
Better be at the show Saturday

Venomous Bite
03-28-07, 04:02 PM
Well lets hope they work.

BurnTire
03-28-07, 05:59 PM
Better be at the show Saturday

I will be there. The car won't

speedracer
03-28-07, 06:51 PM
I call ever couple of Days.
They have been saying in a few days for 3 weeks.
Just pretend you live in Pittsburgh and it's winter time, 3 weeks is nothin'

BurnTire
03-28-07, 07:14 PM
Just pretend you live in Pittsburgh and it's winter time, 3 weeks is nothin'

LOL winter is coming here soon.

The 120 degree winter.

MinGry03
03-29-07, 10:22 AM
Sorry to see that you are still having problems. I hope that they can get this fixed for you ASAP. On a side note, I took my car out over the weekend. Man do I miss it.......:hi:

P Machy
04-04-07, 01:37 PM
Surprised you didnt see this one yet. http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/announcement-from-the-driveshaft-shop-79978.html

It is an installer error :sticktonge:

BurnTire
04-04-07, 02:23 PM
Well my car is still on jack stands. It has been sitting for 1.5 months waiting for a solution.

I opened my new style DSS box today. I did a little test fitting and the outer CV digs into the knuckle.http://www.modularfords.com/forums/images/smilies/furious.gif

I call DSS and was told that there was a problem because there must be 2 designs of cobra halfshafts???

They are sending me some spacers to fix the problem. So yes these non spacer CV's will require a spacer.

Also one of the outer CV boots was torn so I need to replace that also.

To say the least I am not happy.

BurnTire
04-04-07, 02:23 PM
Surprised you didnt see this one yet. http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/announcement-from-the-driveshaft-shop-79978.html

It is an installer error :sticktonge:

Yes it is also our fault that they can't design things correctly.

Viper_ed
04-04-07, 02:38 PM
To say the least I am not happy.
You should of tried harder to get Timmy to ship my 8.8 out to you! :biglaugh:

BurnTire
04-04-07, 03:04 PM
You should of tried harder to get Timmy to ship my 8.8 out to you! :biglaugh:

Frickin DSS.:d066:

P Machy
04-04-07, 03:48 PM
Yes it is also our fault that they can't design things correctly.
Opps....sorry, Guess not the best time to joke around.

Nothing worse when you cant get a car up and running again...especially when someone else controls the situation.

Friend had issues with DSS, but he owns an Evo. The shop took all sorts of pictures and measurements for DSS to review and they simply chucked it as not their issue. Friend got his money back and he was not willing to do extensive modifications too it and talk about mis-leading direct bolt on parts from them.

I would just throw the stockers back on...They seem too handle alot of abuse...but not sure how much abuse it can handle on actual slicks. ET Street isnt much of a problem for a hundred run or so. I got 450 runs out of mine, but with their DR's.

Anyways...best wishes.

BurnTire
04-04-07, 03:52 PM
Opps....sorry, Guess not the best time to joke around.

Nothing worse when you cant get a car up and running again...especially when someone else controls the situation.

Friend had issues with DSS, but he owns an Evo. The shop took all sorts of pictures and measurements for DSS to review and they simply chucked it as not their issue. Friend got his money back and he was not willing to do extensive modifications too it and talk about mis-leading direct bolt on parts from them.

I would just throw the stockers back on...They seem too handle alot of abuse...but not sure how much abuse it can handle on actual slicks. ET Street isnt much of a problem for a hundred run or so. I got 450 runs out of mine, but with their DR's.

Anyways...best wishes.

I may put the stockers back in.
I am going to take a tone of pictures tonight and post them up.
I could run the slicks on the stockers if I take it easy on the launches.

450 Runs your a track whore. LOL

What is your best ET?

AZSonicSnake
04-04-07, 04:00 PM
[rubbing salt] my diff and upper controls are all fixed as of this afternoon....:sticktonge: [/salt rubbing]

:bounce:

P Machy
04-04-07, 04:06 PM
I may put the stockers back in.
I am going to take a tone of pictures tonight and post them up.
I could run the slicks on the stockers if I take it easy on the launches.

450 Runs your a track whore. LOL

What is your best ET?

Used to be TrackWhore :twothumbsup: 11.38 @ 120... wanted to try our best track, but I never felt confirtable there. Plus that last few times ive been messing around with Nittos. I wheel hopped from the start, all the way down to the 1000' marker :redface:!!! Not one run, but 5 back to back runs just hopping away. Id safely assume that I have weakened them, so not willing to take any more runs. Least the stockers can hold up to 1.5 short times. Best I got was a 1.568 short time...good prep, stock clutch at its peak and good DA.

Anyways, Slicks seem to really grip in any and all conditions, so not sure. Sonic Venum only ran on ET Street and put over 100runs in.

Dont do Solid :redface: ... IRS Squats perfectly.

BurnTire
04-04-07, 05:16 PM
[rubbing salt] my diff and upper controls are all fixed as of this afternoon....:sticktonge: [/salt rubbing]

:bounce:

Ok I expect at least at 1.58 60ft time on Saturday from Mr Solid. LOL

My best was 1.59 with the evil IRS.

BurnTire
04-05-07, 11:47 PM
Car is back together. Test drive went well. So hopefully the wheels will not fall off tomorrow and I will be racing on Saturday.

AZSonicSnake
04-05-07, 11:59 PM
kick ass. very good to hear. see ya at the track!

Indy
04-06-07, 12:17 AM
Glad to hear you will be able to run Saturday, see you at the track.

BurnTire
04-06-07, 12:31 AM
Should be all set to go. I look forward to seeing everyone and not being the picture guy again.

BurnTire
04-06-07, 01:02 AM
Used to be TrackWhore :twothumbsup: 11.38 @ 120... wanted to try our best track, but I never felt confirtable there. Plus that last few times ive been messing around with Nittos. I wheel hopped from the start, all the way down to the 1000' marker :redface:!!! Not one run, but 5 back to back runs just hopping away. Id safely assume that I have weakened them, so not willing to take any more runs. Least the stockers can hold up to 1.5 short times. Best I got was a 1.568 short time...good prep, stock clutch at its peak and good DA.

Anyways, Slicks seem to really grip in any and all conditions, so not sure. Sonic Venum only ran on ET Street and put over 100runs in.

Dont do Solid :redface: ... IRS Squats perfectly.

I am going to have to make a trip out there sometime and run at the good track.

silver03cobra
04-06-07, 01:02 AM

BurnTire
04-06-07, 01:04 AM

silver03cobra
04-06-07, 12:20 PM
np jeff...... I just dont like it when friends cant go racing!

BurnTire
04-08-07, 04:58 PM
The saga continues.
http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2713

Dan
04-10-07, 09:23 PM
blah blah blah

get that shit off that nice car so we can see what she really has under her skirt ...... :hi:

BurnTire
04-10-07, 09:25 PM
blah blah blah

get that shit off that nice car so we can see what she really has under her skirt ...... :hi:

Dan you frickin stalking me. LOL

This was the first set of shafts thread. The other thread was the second.
DSS offered to send me the new and imporved 3rd set. I said no Thanks.