PDA

View Full Version : gasket questions

mitch22
04-03-07, 10:49 PM
Two weeks ago I developed a leak on the left bank header gasket. My shop back in San Jose said to use the OEM gaskets from Ford. I have the Ford Ceramic coated racing headers on there since the motor was built 8K mi ago (2000). Today I took it out for a run with the new gasket having about 50 mi on it. It blew again. I see it one of two way's, either the header or flange is cracked or the gasket is not really meant for a SC motor. Can anyone shed some light on whether there is a better OTS gasket for high heat applications?
Thanks
mitch

Gene
04-03-07, 11:01 PM
I've done several header installs on the 4.6 engines. I ALWAYS use Ford gaskets with high-temp copper silicone gasket maker. Never once had a leak.

mitch22
04-03-07, 11:15 PM
Being the novice that I am, I'm assuming this is a sealer you are talking about which is applied in conjunction with the gasket?
tanks
mitch

BurnTire
04-04-07, 02:48 AM
Yes the gasket and sealer.

mitch22
04-04-07, 10:21 AM
in order to remove the header did you do this on a rack. My understanding is that the motor must be supported while undoing the motor mounts and then pushing the motor slightly up in order to gain access to the header. Is this accurate? How would you do this if you don't have shop access. The guy who did this for me is whinning about how hard this is. i sure do miss being in a major city with competent shops. Cost me 500 to replace the first time.

Gene
04-04-07, 10:26 AM
in order to remove the header did you do this on a rack. My understanding is that the motor must be supported while undoing the motor mounts and then pushing the motor slightly up in order to gain access to the header. Is this accurate? How would you do this if you don't have shop access. The guy who did this for me is whinning about how hard this is. i sure do miss being in a major city with competent shops. Cost me 500 to replace the first time.

I always drop the K-Member and use an engine cross bar/hoist to support the weight. You can get them for around $100 bucks

mitch22
04-04-07, 10:32 AM
thanks