PDA

View Full Version : Level 5 Problem Returns

BurnTire
04-08-07, 02:37 AM
Ok I spent a good bit of time analyzing my findings after removing the new style halfshafts yesterday. I had 160 miles on the newly designed shafts and hubs. I can assure you these were pressed and installed correctly.

I created a video of my findings.
This is not intended to bash DSS. Hopefully this video can help find a solution to this problem.

I pulled the video. I think the issue is known well enough.

Lucafu1
04-08-07, 06:11 AM
Jeff you should get a OSCAR for you movie making skills. i find this true documentary to be very very helpful:woot1:

autoxstang
04-08-07, 09:08 AM
Wow makes me want to check my axles out. Thanks the informative video Jeff.

RockysMom
04-08-07, 09:48 AM
Great job on that video. Very informative and well played. I learned something new from that too. Even being a GIRL lol lol

And the Oscar goes too........BURNTIRE :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

AZSonicSnake
04-08-07, 10:47 AM
wow. very nice video. explains the situation very well.

also makes one hell of a case for the solid axle. :sticktonge: :twothumbsup: :bounce:

u1arunit
04-08-07, 10:49 AM
Very well done Jeff!!

Has anyone posted a link to your post or video on Mod Fords? If not we need to for sure!

speedracer
04-08-07, 10:54 AM
Very well done Jeff!!

Has anyone posted a link to your post or video on Mod Fords? If not we need to for sure!
As of about an hour ago, no. Nice video, explains it all. l normally don't watch videos over 2 minutes cuz of dial up but I let the whole thing load.

BurnTire
04-08-07, 11:01 AM
Very well done Jeff!!

Mark I just wanted to see what everyone at HPS thinks about the video before I released it to a bigger audience. I will link it up later today being it is an Oscar performance. LOL

BurnTire
04-08-07, 01:10 PM
Some up close pictures.

Picture of the wear on the outer CV
http://www.highperformancestangs.com/gallery/data/521/P1010122.JPG

http://www.highperformancestangs.com/gallery/data/521/P1010121.JPG

Groover in the spacers
http://www.highperformancestangs.com/gallery/data/521/P10100183.JPG

Note the metal shavings on the spacer

http://www.highperformancestangs.com/gallery/data/521/P10100033.JPG

P Machy
04-08-07, 01:23 PM
Man...it would of just been way cheaper and less down time just to buy a few stockers. Least you would not have so much drama and down time while every one else was having fun at the strip. Still, not sure if the stock IRS can handle actual SLICKS vs DOT tires.

Mechanical Failure isnt so bad after the 1st time....you get used to it :sticktonge: .

BurnTire
04-08-07, 02:49 PM
Man...it would of just been way cheaper and less down time just to buy a few stockers. Least you would not have so much drama and down time while every one else was having fun at the strip. Still, not sure if the stock IRS can handle actual SLICKS vs DOT tires.

Mechanical Failure isnt so bad after the 1st time....you get used to it :sticktonge: .

I am putting the stockers back in for now.

silver03cobra
04-09-07, 02:01 PM
Jeff great vid...... Lets get this fixed!

Viper_ed
04-10-07, 06:22 AM
Nice video Jeff! Sounds like you recorded that in your best pilot voice while flying the friendly sky at 30,000 feet.

Gene
04-10-07, 09:45 AM
Looks slow.

BurnTire
04-10-07, 11:29 AM
Nice video Jeff! Sounds like you recorded that in your best pilot voice while flying the friendly sky at 30,000 feet.

I can hear that Pittsburgh in my voice. LOL

BurnTire
04-10-07, 11:30 AM
Looks slow.

What are you talking about your car again. LOL

Viper_ed
04-10-07, 12:30 PM
I can hear that Pittsburgh in my voice. LOL
Just reminded me of every time I was just about to fall asleep on a flight and the dam pilot comes on the loud speaker to announce the alt. we are cruising at, etc., etc., etc.

BurnTire
04-10-07, 12:40 PM
Just reminded me of every time I was just about to fall asleep on a flight and the dam pilot comes on the loud speaker to announce the alt. we are cruising at, etc., etc., etc.

LOL. I will make sure to be real loud if you are ever on my plane.

Viper_ed
04-10-07, 12:42 PM
LOL. I will make sure to be real loud if you are ever on my plane.
As long as it you telling everyone that you just called Tim @ Rodeheaver's and are having him build you a Solid Axel for your car I guess that will be OK. Seriously, call him as I'm sure he'll give you a great deal, even with shipping it out west.

Dan
04-10-07, 01:23 PM
Ok I spent a good bit of time analyzing my findings after removing the new style halfshafts yesterday. I had 160 miles on the newly designed shafts and hubs. I can assure you these were pressed and installed correctly.

I created a video of my findings.
This is not intended to bash DSS. Hopefully this video can help find a solution to this problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJCao01bm1c

Dude give up already there products suck buy a solid axle already and be done with this childish bull shit. you know I have seen where people go to the same place that has done so many wrong but yet they still go to that place. ........... Its mind bottling........ yes I just said bottling because obviously something is trapping the thought that an irs is a good thing in your mind! lol

Viper_ed
04-10-07, 01:33 PM
Dude give up already there products suck buy a solid axle already and be done with this childish bull shit. you know I have seen where people go to the same place that has done so many wrong but yet they still go to that place. ........... Its mind bottling........ yes I just said bottling because obviously something is trapping the thought that an irs is a good thing in your mind! lol

:rollingfloorrlol: Agreed!

BurnTire
04-10-07, 01:35 PM

Boy I knew that was coming. LOL
The IRS could work well for what I do with the car if someone made a damn shaft that worked.

The stockers are going back in this weekend and I am done with this stuff until the fall. I have wasted too much f-ing time on this crap.

I will build my solid parts up over the summer.

I have missed you around here CUPCAKE!!!:biglaugh:

Dan
04-10-07, 02:40 PM
Boy I knew that was coming. LOL
The IRS could work well for what I do with the car if someone made a damn shaft that worked.

The stockers are going back in this weekend and I am done with this stuff until the fall. I have wasted too much f-ing time on this crap.

I will build my solid parts up over the summer.

I have missed you around here CUPCAKE!!!:biglaugh:

You whine any more about this problem then I’m going to laugh at you every time I see you. I told you to take the blue pill just like I told Gene ask him he wanted to buy some 3” exhaust from me and I told him don’t waist the money convert to a solid axle. An IRS does not work for shit. Imagine how fast your car will be with a rear end you can launch on…….. now here is a question and Ill make it as blunt as possible. Are you going to be PIG header about this swap or are you going to take some advise from me for once. I have never lead you wrong you are using the plugs I told you and they are working quite well you know I just might know what I am talking about. I would hate to know that 18years of experience was wasted!

I was right on the spark plugs
I was right on the head thread
and you know I am right now!

Dan

I know you missed me sweet
cheeks !!!:highfive:

BurnTire
04-10-07, 02:53 PM

AZSonicSnake
04-10-07, 06:27 PM
i was awonderin when dan was gonna chime in. :bounce:

solid FTMFW!!! :sticktonge:

P Machy
04-10-07, 06:58 PM
No!!!

Like how much are you planning to throw at it for a SRA? You are obviously more then inclined in doing the work properly, unlike what DSS says, so why not just leave the stock half shafts and go from there?

Friend always said that you needed to suspend reality a bit...

Plus what is your ET Goal anyways? It never ends for some people.

Dont you all have mountains with tight turns in AZ? Four of us jumped into our Termee's and took it up to the crest to have some kicks turning left and right....aint no way a purposely built drag car will ever do that! Dont kill another Termee with a SRA...

BurnTire
04-10-07, 07:30 PM
No!!!

Like how much are you planning to throw at it for a SRA? You are obviously more then inclined in doing the work properly, unlike what DSS says, so why not just leave the stock half shafts and go from there?

Friend always said that you needed to suspend reality a bit...

Plus what is your ET Goal anyways? It never ends for some people.

Dont you all have mountains with tight turns in AZ? Four of us jumped into our Termee's and took it up to the crest to have some kicks turning left and right....aint no way a purposely built drag car will ever do that! Dont kill another Termee with a SRA...

LOL
The stockers are going back in until at least the fall.

Lucafu1
04-10-07, 07:43 PM
I enjoy the ride of a IRS car much better thene a solid axle. plud is funny when you can cut better 60 foot times then some of these guys with a solid LMAO:woot1:

how many solid axle cras here still cant get into the 1.6 range? I did on my IRS plenty of times. Jeffs gone the same or better. thats FTW:woot1:

BurnTire
04-10-07, 07:53 PM
1.59 was my best on ET Streets. I also watch these solid axle cars struggling to get a 1.7 and spinning all the way down the track.

I realize that I will be giving up some ride quality to make a solid hook well at the track.

AZSonicSnake
04-10-07, 08:21 PM
well, when my skillz get a little better at this whole car with actual hp, i'll get back to you on that. the driver is the only limiting factor on my 60' right now. but i know i can hammer it, and have noooo worries. works for me. :twothumbsup:

BurnTire
04-10-07, 08:25 PM
well, when my skillz get a little better at this whole car with actual hp, i'll get back to you on that. the driver is the only limiting factor on my 60' right now. but i know i can hammer it, and have noooo worries. works for me. :twothumbsup:

LOL

I wasn't referring to you directly.

Dan
04-10-07, 09:19 PM
1.31 here

SRA all the way oh and Im up to going on some mountain roads as well :woot2: in my SRA car maybe a little street racing along the way :highfive:
what is the issue

BurnTire
04-10-07, 09:21 PM
1.31 here

SRA all the way oh and Im up to going on some mountain roads as well :woot2: in my SRA car maybe a little street racing along the way :highfive:
what is the issue

Never said there was an issue Cupcake. :bounce:

BurnTire
04-13-07, 08:54 PM
Fixed my Halfshaft problem. I upgrade back to the stockers. No more wheel wobble or spun races. I am glad it went well. I have been told multiple times that I didn't install the Level 5's correctly. I guess I have the stocker install touch. LOL

50 BMG
04-14-07, 08:14 AM
Fixed my Halfshaft problem. I upgrade back to the stockers.

There is a phrase you don't see too often.

Stock parts FTW! :twothumbsup:

BurnTire
04-14-07, 10:54 AM
There is a phrase you don't see too often.

Stock parts FTW! :twothumbsup:

Stock shafts rule:biglaugh:

P Machy
08-26-07, 11:58 AM
Stock shafts rule:biglaugh:
Finally snapped mine the other night!

Now i need to get off me arse and fix it....

silver03cobra
08-26-07, 05:44 PM

not that hard... have fun!

BurnTire
08-26-07, 08:00 PM

After what 500 runs?

BurnTire
08-26-07, 08:01 PM
not that hard... have fun!

Hell I can do it in 20 minutes after all the damn practice I had dealing with the LVL 5's.

P Machy
08-29-07, 07:28 PM
After what 500 runs?

LOL...yeah, so it has been abused.

Worst thing was that the entire drive train was hitting pretty harshly. On the burnout box and going down the strip. Stupid me should of adjusted the clutch adjuster so that it could slip some. New Stock Clutch, Track-Lok and M/T Drag Radials = pure shock!

Dont laugh...first time ever doing this kind of repair :sticktonge:

http://socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13567

Waiting for my stock half shafts to be delivered on friday and just need to take the brake assembly off and get a new bearing pressed in.

I now wish that I got the very early DSS Level 5 though....lots of early termee's with them didnt have such issues with the hub, bearing, race and clearence these days. Day late and 2k short LOL...

BurnTire
08-29-07, 07:54 PM
Wow broke at the splines!!!