PDA

View Full Version : battery cut-off

silver03cobra
04-15-07, 11:27 PM
So NHRA says the cut off must shut off the car when the switch is off. How do you do this? I tried to just run off the + side but when the car is running the car will not shut off, if you turn the switch off. Help!

07 HOSS Mustang
04-16-07, 09:24 AM
go to WWW.NHRA.com (http://www.NHRA.com) for the rules and how they want it done..
The alternator red feed wire must be included in the shut off loop to kill the engine too as I recall.

07 Hoss

So NHRA says the cut off must shut off the car when the switch is off. How do you do this? I tried to just run off the + side but when the car is running the car will not shut off, if you turn the switch off. Help!

BurnTire
04-16-07, 11:45 AM
Leave the battery in the front. Problem Solved.

silver03cobra
04-16-07, 02:31 PM
OK thanks HOSS! thats how you do it.... Jeff me and jr found a great spot to mount the battery cut off. no cutting!

Dana
04-17-07, 04:33 AM
An alternative method is to cut into the ignition instead of the power from the alternator output. Installing a relay in the coil feed line that is controlled by the cut off switch will accomplish the same thing, kill the motor.
The biggest reason for doing it this way is that this circuit is a low power one as opposed to the high power/amperage of the alternator output. It is much easier to control. It requires only one small wire run to the engine compartment to operate.
The down side is that you are adding a additional component to the already complicated ignition system.
It works and I have been using this system for several years without a poroblem.

I should add that this is done in conjunction with the battery cut off switch and uses a 4 pole switch instead of a normal 2 pole battery switch. Cole Hersey makes them.
Dana

P Machy
04-20-07, 02:52 PM
The Fuse Box on the Driver Side will kill the entire car. Not the Red Wire, but he Gray Wire.

The 4 tracks ive been too never even tested my kill switch on the Mach.

silver03cobra
04-20-07, 03:01 PM
The Fuse Box on the Driver Side will kill the entire car. Not the Red Wire, but he Gray Wire.

The 4 tracks ive been too never even tested my kill switch on the Mach.

So we can turn the gray wire to the cut off

P Machy
04-20-07, 03:13 PM
So we can turn the gray wire to the cut off
Yes....as I recall (2004), we pulled just the red wire from the fuse box and the car did NOT die...the next wire was the Gray one and that killed the car completely once it was detached from the box.

What Kill switch are you using? I used a two pronge kill switch.

silver03cobra
04-20-07, 03:50 PM
thats what we got!
can you send some pic's and explain the wiring.... where doing it right now.....(2:50 pm) 4/20/07

P Machy
04-20-07, 05:38 PM
Fudge!!! for real?

Kinda scared of the Mach....it has been sitting for over a year.

What do you need in details?

This thread was done back in 04...

http://socalterminators.zerolag.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=88069#post88069

carefull on how you connect the 2 pronge kill switch. It was not so obvious to us as to why the car would not die when flicking the switch off. (install began after we tested the fuse box on the driver side).

hopefully i can catch enough daylight to show you the switch from under the bumper...give me like 15 minutes from this post.

P Machy
04-20-07, 05:57 PM
Driver Side Fuze Box

Red Wire
(dont touch the stock one and keep it in place....Run a New Line to the rear of the car, but connected to the fuze box.

Gray Wire
Connect it to a new line (does not connect to the fuze box).

So you will have 2 new lines going to the back of the car.

Kill Switch
Possitive Battery Line + Gray Line (the new line) goes into one pronge.
Red New Line from the Fuze Box goes by it self into one pronge.

Negative Wire (engine bay) Find a new ground in the engine bay.
Negative Wire (in trunk) From battery to chassis....does not connect into the kill switch.

BTW: Believe the Gray Wire is the line that connects to the alternator...but could be wrong.

P Machy
04-20-07, 06:00 PM
OMG...my baby is so neglected!!!

BTW: some folks run fuses and such....never had an issue without having fuses in between the connections. No charging issues what so ever.

Most importantly, please dont run any lines inside the cabine. if you have Sub Frame Connectors, zip tie them on the sub frames..works good enough.

Good luck....it is 420 and i need to celebrate :twothumbsup:

silver03cobra
04-20-07, 08:12 PM
Thanks soooo much i will let you know how is goes.... almost done..

silver03cobra
04-20-07, 08:37 PM
btw clean and drive that thing!!!!!!!!!

BurnTire
04-20-07, 09:51 PM
WTF.

I think I see some squirrels living in that engine bay also.

P Machy
04-21-07, 11:07 AM
LOL.....

funny thing is the hood has been closed all this time. Not sure how all that shit is getting inside the engine bay.

I see evidence of black widows hanging around, CHIT!! Termee already has her thin coat of wax and under the nice cover, guess I is about time I work on getting her up and running.

vtecthis349pony...is it working yet? thanks to you, everyone now can see how abusive ive been to her!

silver03cobra
04-21-07, 02:44 PM
LOL.....

funny thing is the hood has been closed all this time. Not sure how all that shit is getting inside the engine bay.

I see evidence of black widows hanging around, CHIT!! Termee already has her thin coat of wax and under the nice cover, guess I is about time I work on getting her up and running.

vtecthis349pony...is it working yet? thanks to you, everyone now can see how abusive ive been to her!

ha ha ha ha....
we are almost done..... we have done alot! should be starting it up at 5pm.
we just have to put the gas tank,irs,exh,and wheels back on... lol

P Machy
04-22-07, 10:20 AM
Well? :bouncy:

silver03cobra
04-22-07, 01:44 PM
we stoped and went to watch Jeff (burntire) go race..... the car will start up in an hour and we will see if we did it right!

P Machy
04-22-07, 04:20 PM
:twothumbsup: hope all went well.

silver03cobra
04-22-07, 06:11 PM
we lost 1 bolt for the gas tank strap... spent 1 hour looking for that.... bought new one. now starting..... let you know in 15 min

BurnTire
04-22-07, 06:14 PM
we lost 1 bolt for the gas tank strap... spent 1 hour looking for that.... bought new one. now starting..... let you know in 15 min

Probably in the tank. LOL

silver03cobra
04-22-07, 08:17 PM
ha ha ha never opened it.......putting the EXH. on. now!

BTW food is good!

P Machy
04-22-07, 08:22 PM
LOL.

I find it a little trippy that there is only 2 straps holding the tank.

silver03cobra
04-22-07, 08:31 PM
yea.... kinda scary.

BurnTire
04-22-07, 08:35 PM
:needpics:

P Machy
04-22-07, 08:37 PM
yeah!!!! and the reports on the progress sure do come up slowly too!!! LOL

BurnTire
04-22-07, 08:39 PM
The week long battery project.

I thought I was bad with the level 5 fiasco. LOL

P Machy
04-22-07, 08:43 PM
LOL, but that wasnt under your control.

silver03cobra
04-22-07, 08:43 PM
ha ha ha ha ....
this is JR's car.. he is super anal........ we move the battery and the heat exchanger res. in back... and poly. bushings in the irs. JR spent 2 day's running the line to the front of the car. and we only get about 5 hours each day.

BurnTire
04-22-07, 08:45 PM
LOL, but that wasnt under your control.

Yep now I have the super stock stage 1000's in.

silver03cobra
04-22-07, 08:47 PM
Yep now I have the super stock stage 1000's in.

HA HA HA HA I LOVE THAT!

silver03cobra
04-22-07, 09:46 PM
everything works! the car is on the ground! thanks so much! i will get pic's up in the morn.

P Machy
04-22-07, 10:01 PM
everything works! the car is on the ground! thanks so much! i will get pic's up in the morn.
:woot1:

So the car completely dies with a flick of the switch?

silver03cobra
04-22-07, 11:09 PM
yes! works like you said! thanks sooooo much!

P Machy
04-23-07, 09:17 AM
yes! works like you said! thanks sooooo much!
sweet :highfive:

Wheres them pics? LOL

BurnTire
04-23-07, 01:12 PM

silver03cobra
05-07-07, 02:43 PM
waiting on jr..... he took them!