PDA

View Full Version : Simple Gauge Wiring Question

ASUSMC
04-16-07, 11:58 AM
Ok so I know some of you have done this. The boost gauge in my pillar is reading boost but i want to wire it now so it lights up at night. In my dads truck we just hooked it up to the headlight switch cause it was 2 screws and it popped out. How or where do I hook up the wiring so they are on a switch and I can turn them on with the headlights, or a separate switch?

Viper_ed
04-16-07, 12:13 PM
Just wire the white wire from the gause light into the dimmer wire from the headlight switch.

ASUSMC
04-16-07, 12:16 PM
I tried that but can't figure out how to get to it.

Viper_ed
04-16-07, 12:21 PM
I tried that but can't figure out how to get to it.
I haven't done mine in my Cobra yet, but I would assume you could pull the instrument cluster out to get to the wiring, or a simplier spot would be to hook it in at the radio cause the same dimmer wire can be found there also. The voltage will vary on the dimmer wire from 12 volt with the lights at their brightest setting and the voltage will get lower as you dim the lights.

BurnTire
04-16-07, 12:23 PM
You need to get a mini add a circuit form auto zone and power the gauge lights from the fuse that powers the dash lights. It will dim with the dash lights.

Viper_ed
04-16-07, 12:26 PM
You need to get a mini add a circuit form auto zone and power the gauge lights from the fuse that powers the dash lights. It will dim with the dash lights.
Why not just tap the dimmer circuit? Surely 1 extra light won't overload it.

BurnTire
04-16-07, 12:29 PM
You could, but I am all about being easy. LOL

Viper_ed
04-16-07, 12:30 PM
You could, but I am all about being easy. LOL
So making a trip to the parts store and spending money is easier than just splicing a wire? :laughing:

BurnTire
04-16-07, 12:39 PM
I used slot 37 Adjustable illumination.
You plug the add a circuit in to slot 37.
http://www.thompson-automotive.com/i//Add-A-Circuit.jpg
Power what ever you want to dim. I have the boost and fuel back lighting powered.
This will allow you to increase the fuse size and no wire splicing.

ASUSMC
04-16-07, 12:44 PM
How much is one of them things? And is it just plug into that and run the wires directly to it and it dims?

BurnTire
04-16-07, 12:49 PM
How much is one of them things? And is it just plug into that and run the wires directly to it and it dims?

I think they a like $7 from autozone.

Yes you plug into the adjustable illumination fuse slot # 37 (check you owners manual) then place the wires you want to dim into the crimp end and your done.

I attached some pics. You can see the 2 wires going into the crimp end.

Those are my boost and fuel back lights.

ASUSMC
04-16-07, 12:54 PM
You have two of those things in there. Is that one for each or you just put both wires into the same butt connector and crimp? I would imagine if you are dimming both you would crimp both into the same connector correct?

BurnTire
04-16-07, 12:59 PM
You have two of those things in there. Is that one for each or you just put both wires into the same butt connector and crimp? I would imagine if you are dimming both you would crimp both into the same connector correct?

I have about 5 of those things under there. You just can't see them all. LOL

You put all the wires you want to dim into 1 connector. You pull the fuse out of the slot and put it in the add a circuit. The plug the add a circuit into the slot.
There are 2 fuses in the add a circuit.

As long as you are plugged into the correct slot (adjustable illumination) they will dim.

Viper_ed
04-16-07, 01:23 PM
I have about 5 of those things under there. You just can't see them all. LOL

Ummmm, that will put the same amount of load on each circuit (Or at least the feed wires for that circuit at the fuse block) as simply splicing the wires. At least if you splice the wire directly, the circuit is still protected by the correct fuse rating it was intended for. With that Add-a-Circuit you are pulling let's say 50 amp on a wire that was intended for 20 amp.

There's no problem for something as small as a illumination light, but don't try that with something that pulls alot of amps. You'll either short out a fusible link or worst case, melt the wire that feeds the fuseblock for that circuit.

BurnTire
04-16-07, 01:30 PM
Ummmm, that will put the same amount of load on each circuit (Or at least the feed wires for that circuit at the fuse block) as simply splicing the wires. At least if you splice the wire directly, the circuit is still protected by the correct fuse rating it was intended for. Now you are pulling let's say 50 amp on a wire that was intended for 20 amp.

There's no problem for something as small as a illumination light, but don't try that with something that pulls alot of amps. You'll either short out a fusible link or worst case, melt the wire that feeds the fuseblock for that circuit.

The correct fuse is still in there. You pull the factory fuse and add it to the add a circuit. Then there is an additional fuse for the wires you are feeding. These are not 50 AMP fuses.

I have a 10AMP on the factory side and a 5AMP on the line powering the gauge lighting.

It is all good VIPER ED John Doe.:biglaugh:

Tac2cul
04-16-07, 01:41 PM
lol i bet u wished i wrote my writeup on my electrical installl on my gauges now

while i was doing my gauge overlay install i tapped into the blue/white wire from the headlight switch and i was done :)

Viper_ed
04-16-07, 01:44 PM
The correct fuse is still in there. You pull the factory fuse and add it to the add a circuit. Then there is an additional fuse for the wires you are feeding. These are not 50 AMP fuses.

I have a 10AMP on the factory side and a 5AMP on the line powering the gauge lighting.

It is all good VIPER ED John Doe.:biglaugh:
I realize the correct fuse is still in there, but the wire that feeds that slot has not changed. I used 50 amp as an example if you would have a 30 and a 20 in there. With your 10 and 5, the total possible load on that feeding wire could be as much as 15 amp. No big deal in that case, but if the wire is 20ga or 22ga that feeds it, don't try running a 10amp and 30amp fuse off of it.

Yours tuuly,

International Man of Mystery! :icon_cool:

BurnTire
04-16-07, 01:48 PM
LOL.
I hope my car doesn't burn down.
John Doe is cool!

Viper_ed
04-16-07, 01:49 PM
I hope my car doesn't burn down.

Just stick to the tire part and you'll be fine!

BurnTire
04-16-07, 01:50 PM
Just stick to the tire part and you'll be fine! Burntire and Burnwire.

BurnTire
04-16-07, 01:51 PM
Oh an the person asking the original question is burnclutch!

u1arunit
04-16-07, 06:57 PM
Burntire and Burnwire.

Hey what cracker told you to use those Add-A-Circuits? Those things are DANGEROUS!

p.s.- Do you miss me Eddie..? LOL

BurnTire
04-16-07, 07:00 PM
Hey what cracker told you to use those Add-A-Circuits? Those things are DANGEROUS!

p.s.- Do you miss me Eddie..? LOL

On of those u1abanit guys from PA.

Your dangerous Maverick.:biglaugh:

u1arunit
04-16-07, 07:04 PM
On of those u1abanit guys from PA.

Your dangerous Maverick.:biglaugh:

C'mon Goose! I haven't led you astray yet. :bouncy:

ASUSMC
04-18-07, 10:52 AM
Thanks Jeff. I used the little add-a-circuit and my backlighting works beautifully.

BurnTire
04-18-07, 11:33 AM
Thanks Jeff. I used the little add-a-circuit and my backlighting works beautifully.

Cool:pinkthumb: