PDA

View Full Version : T56 Inputshaft Question

P Machy
04-22-07, 10:22 AM
Is it normal for a T56 input shaft to have a little play?

(Play Meaning, movement going side to side inside the TOB Sleeve)

Does not make any contact but moves side to side possible half a MM, but noticeable to the eye.

BurnTire
04-22-07, 01:45 PM
Is it normal for a T56 input shaft to have a little play?

(Play Meaning, movement going side to side inside the TOB Sleeve)

Does not make any contact but moves side to side possible half a MM, but noticeable to the eye.

I want to say I remember a little side to side play in mine.

The end play is the in and out movement which was 0 on mine.

P Machy
04-22-07, 04:17 PM

Cool...thanks :twothumbsup: Yeah, it doesnt move forward or backwards at all, just a tiny bit of side movement, but it spins very freely without any bad noises other then the internals spinning.

SonicVenum stopped by to help out and he said it looks and feels fine.

Least the Mach1 is coming along...got a serious laundry list to take care of.. :Bucktooth:

http://socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12918

Indy
04-22-07, 04:32 PM

I agree. They normally have alittle side to side play, you just don't want any end play.

BTW seeing your Mach in the first pic almost made me:barf: , but now its all cleaned up so everything is all good......... LOL

P Machy
04-22-07, 08:26 PM
I agree. They normally have alittle side to side play, you just don't want any end play.

BTW seeing your Mach in the first pic almost made me:barf: , but now its all cleaned up so everything is all good......... LOL

Yeah, that wasnt so kind of me. Actually never really been kind to her....well, maybe just in the first 900 break in miles. She has gone over 1500 runs down the strip, 4 trans problems, 1 diff problem and 1 ignition problem and after all the hard work to get her up and going good...she broke on the my 3rd qualifying run on the 4th summit race of last year.

She has my attention for the next few weekends. :highfive:

Indy
04-23-07, 01:19 AM
What kind of times are you running?

P Machy
04-23-07, 09:16 AM
What kind of times are you running?
Before the K-member and Stock TR3650 was 1.69 60' to a 12.32 @ 109mph..but never got a decent short time at that track. Too glued and I couldnt adjust to it properly, but it had a best of 12.62 @ LACR and ran 12.7 up there.

T5 and K-member I was hoping to hit the index class of 12.5, but car only made 30 runs before she blew yet another stinking trans.

Termee T56 is going to kill me off the line, but hoping the Mach1 clutch assemble will have enough intertia off the line....will see in 3 weeks. :yes: Hopefully no vibration issues and this trans holds up (changing driving habits and tire combo)

Flyn High Again
05-01-07, 06:51 PM
I see the Cobras aren't the only ones with drivetrain problems. Not too bad a breakage record for 1500 runs. That's a lot of track time.

Remind me not to race you if I ever get out that way. Although my car will run quicker than 12.3... :wink1:

P Machy
05-02-07, 12:46 PM
I see the Cobras aren't the only ones with drivetrain problems. Not too bad a breakage record for 1500 runs. That's a lot of track time.

Remind me not to race you if I ever get out that way. Although my car will run quicker than 12.3... :wink1:

Whats up Cliff! :twothumbsup:

Nah, she wont be fast like before. 1st gear will be too tall for me and the torque multiplication with 4.56 VS stock trans and gears is just like 2% taller.

Will have to spray I bet...and if she blows, Twin Turbos and gut the entire car out and maker her a real track whore! :bounce:

5.0Stanger
05-08-07, 08:36 PM
Not sure if you all have built a trans before, but here goes.

Most manual transmissions have a small amount of bearing preload, between the input shaft bearing and output shaft bearing. After a small amount of use, the bearings begin to wear in. This ends up creating a little forward/back and side-to-side play in the input and output shafts. You are able to get a more noticeable amount of play from the input shaft, because it is sticking out of the bearing retainer more than the output shaft is sticking out of the tailhousing. I'd say that anymore than .015" of forward/backward play in the shafts is ok for a well-worn trans. Racing for years like this, I'd be concerned, as the trans should be checked over once in a while.

That's my 2 cents.

P Machy
05-08-07, 10:05 PM
Not sure if you all have built a trans before, but here goes.

Most manual transmissions have a small amount of bearing preload, between the input shaft bearing and output shaft bearing. After a small amount of use, the bearings begin to wear in. This ends up creating a little forward/back and side-to-side play in the input and output shafts. You are able to get a more noticeable amount of play from the input shaft, because it is sticking out of the bearing retainer more than the output shaft is sticking out of the tailhousing. I'd say that anymore than .015" of forward/backward play in the shafts is ok for a well-worn trans. Racing for years like this, I'd be concerned, as the trans should be checked over once in a while.

That's my 2 cents.
Best two cents id ever seen! :yes:

And thanks. The play wasnt too bad and the trans is already in...no issues with it at all, minus the usual cold trans grind that I get.

Known to snap input shafts, so will have to schedule a period of when I need to send the trans in for service by a shop. It has been beat up by a Termee with a Whipple though....He ran all sorts of tires and some of his shifts where a bit slow, so some of his shifts barked really bad.

Just need it to hold up till september and hopefully 400 runs. :icon_cool:

5.0Stanger
05-09-07, 01:16 AM
Glad I could be of help. The synchros are probably bit tired, if that guy's shifts were a bit slow. Not everyone can hit the shift/clutch timing just right.

P Machy
05-10-07, 01:03 PM
Glad I could be of help. The synchros are probably bit tired, if that guy's shifts were a bit slow. Not everyone can hit the shift/clutch timing just right.

helped alot :twothumbsup:

believe they are a bit tired...but not bad...i know how bad synchros feel like :sticktonge:

BTW: what would you recommend for service intervals for the trans?

My Terminator had 22k miles on it when I bought it, but the owner may never had rowed through the gears much. It now has 36k miles with just over 450 runs down the strip.

Like to maintain it, so that i could avoid another tow from the strip.

5.0Stanger
05-12-07, 02:28 PM
Considering you have that many runs on it, you may want to have the bearings and synchros replaced. The mileage thing doesn't always play into the service intervals, when someone races with it. I had around 500 passes on the trans in my last Stang and it only needed bearings.

P Machy
05-15-07, 01:48 PM
Considering you have that many runs on it, you may want to have the bearings and synchros replaced. The mileage thing doesn't always play into the service intervals, when someone races with it. I had around 500 passes on the trans in my last Stang and it only needed bearings.
Dang...that means I should take the Termee trans out and have it services ... but i swear she feels great! not as notchy when cold compared to the used one i have on the Mach1.

How much should a service of the trans cost?

Thanks for the info BTW :twothumbsup:

5.0Stanger
05-15-07, 07:05 PM
Dang...that means I should take the Termee trans out and have it services ... but i swear she feels great! not as notchy when cold compared to the used one i have on the Mach1.

How much should a service of the trans cost?

Thanks for the info BTW :twothumbsup:

Not sure about cost to service. I mainly deal in T-5s, myself. I'd put in a call to Hanlon Motorsports, in PA, to get more info. I know that just to do a basic bearing/synchro service from me is around $290. Most of that cost is just the parts kit. Give Hanlon's a call at 610.469.2695. Tell 'em Tom from AZ sent you. I know that I'll have to get into my T-56, sooner or later. And, then I'll be able to work on others.

On a side note: upon reading your thread from "socalterminators", it looks like you should invest in a car cover to keep the leaves at bay. That way, you won't have to keep cleaning your Mach.