PDA

View Full Version : Clutches?

Phx99Cobra
05-16-07, 03:37 PM
What does everyone think about spec stage two clutches? What other clutches do you recommend for street/strip use? Will be on slicks on the track.

BurnTire
05-16-07, 04:38 PM
Spec 3+ is what a bunch of the 03/04 cobra guys use. I use the Ram Power Grip HD.

Phx99Cobra
05-16-07, 06:43 PM
How is the life of your clutch? Mileage you can expect out of a hd clutch?

BurnTire
05-16-07, 07:01 PM
How is the life of your clutch? Mileage you can expect out of a hd clutch?

My car is 600+ RWHP and I launch pretty hard on stickey tires at the track so I would be hard to compare. I have about 1000 miles on the clutch and it still holds well, but I have had some wear based on having to make adjustments. RAM recommends that the Power Grip HD be used on a steel flywheel. When this clutch goes I am going to a Spec 5.

How much power does you car make?

Phx99Cobra
05-16-07, 07:08 PM
Its a 99 and before exhaust it made 276rwhp. Plans are longtubes, gears, and ud pullies

BurnTire
05-16-07, 07:18 PM
Its a 99 and before exhaust it made 276rwhp. Plans are longtubes, gears, and ud pullies

The RAM Powergrip HD is too aggressive for that setup.

The Spec 3 or 3+ would be a good choice for your setup.

One thing you want to keep in mind is you may be some chatter.

fazm
05-16-07, 08:09 PM
i believe the 3+ is less chatter than the 3. i have the 3, and its a puck style on/off clutch. had a lot of chatter during breakin, but fine now

BurnTire
05-16-07, 08:17 PM
i believe the 3+ is less chatter than the 3. i have the 3, and its a puck style on/off clutch. had a lot of chatter during breakin, but fine now

I hear the 3+ is a nice setup, but have no personal experience.

AZSonicSnake
05-16-07, 09:11 PM
i have the spec 3+, and i honestly hated the noise it made, notice i put made in there. thanks to LDC and thier clutch freeplay mod, it no longer has any of that noise. and the LDC kit made me actually love my clutch. :woot1:

BurnTire
05-16-07, 09:49 PM
i have the spec 3+, and i honestly hated the noise it made, notice i put made in there. thanks to LDC and thier clutch freeplay mod, it no longer has any of that noise. and the LDC kit made me actually love my clutch. :woot1:

Most of your noise was related to the shift fork banging around and not really clutch related. Mine would do the same thing with out the LDC spring. So it is a good $20 spent.
http://www.ldcchicago.com/products_CK.htm

Phx99Cobra
05-16-07, 10:05 PM
Is 3+ and actual stage or do you just mean stage 3 and above. The ldc will eliminate all of the chatter or most of it

BurnTire
05-16-07, 10:21 PM
Is 3+ and actual stage or do you just mean stage 3 and above. The ldc will eliminate all of the chatter or most of it

Yes it is a Stage3+.
http://www.specclutch.com/

The spring will not eliminate chatter it will get rid of the dead feeling in the pedal and keep the throwout bearing off of the pressure plate fingers.

Do you have a firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant?

Phx99Cobra
05-16-07, 10:36 PM
No niether, my setup at this moment is stock, but its going soon i can hear the throwout bearing. If a new clutch chatters alot wouldnt that normally mean it bad. I thought they did that when they are ready to go. What about the stage below you setup burntire.

BurnTire
05-16-07, 10:51 PM
No niether, my setup at this moment is stock, but its going soon i can hear the throwout bearing. If a new clutch chatters alot wouldnt that normally mean it bad. I thought they did that when they are ready to go. What about the stage below you setup burntire.

Heavy duty clutches chatter due to the clutch disc material and grabby characteristics. Basically the chatter tells you the material wants to grab and not slip. That is good for a high horsepower car. You want the clutch to hold. The chatter is not that bad. Make a little adjustment to your driving habits and it will not be an issue.

I recommend the Fiore firewall adjuster and a Steeda Quick Release Quadrant.

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2678_121_1399_1400&products_id=11399

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-10376/mc100-fiore-96-04-mustang-micro-click-firewall-adjuster.html

Phx99Cobra
05-17-07, 12:00 AM
Thank you. You have been a big help. Thanks for posting the links

BurnTire
05-17-07, 12:39 AM
Thank you. You have been a big help. Thanks for posting the links

No problem. Are you doing the install yourself?

Phx99Cobra
05-17-07, 04:15 PM
Not sure? I have never done one before. I possibly have a good hook up through a shop though. I'll let you know, I plan to have this done pretty soon.

vicious781
05-18-07, 01:25 AM
I love my RAM too! Good info out there. I would definitely recommend firewall adjuster and quadrant as well. Get everything all at once and save yourself the headache. Aftermarket clutch cables suck though! Had one pretty much snap on me. Stock is the strongest for some reason.

5.0Stanger
06-09-07, 12:55 PM
Ok, so what's the power level that the stock clutch becomes inconsistent. My car is still at near stock power. No signs of slippage, on the street.

BurnTire
06-09-07, 01:59 PM
Ok, so what's the power level that the stock clutch becomes inconsistent. My car is still at near stock power. No signs of slippage, on the street.

I ran 11.8 @ 119 on the stock clutch. That was around 470 RWHP.

It started to slip the moment the whipple went on.

Ruckus46gt
09-21-07, 10:06 PM
tumas clutch set up and go with a alum flywheel while your at it.
the tumas clutch set up is sold at the shop he owns you know had the fastest stock 4v. anyways its a mcleod kevlar disc with the a frpp heavy duty pressure plate