PDA

View Full Version : Motors hurt...

ASUSMC
05-29-07, 11:43 AM
So my car is detonating pretty bad after 4k rpm. Going to PSR Wednesday to have them take a few degrees out so hopefully it will live a little bit longer. I have been looking at MMR shortblocks as well as possibly having the guy that built the motor in Dan's car do it. Problem right now is funding.

I can get an MMR 4.6 900hp capable shortblock for ~3200 + shipping. Sounds like a good deal and have heard nothing but good things about them. I want a 5.0 stroker but thats another $800 that I'm not sure I wanna spend or have to spend. Probably will be taking out a loan to get it anyway.... This sucks.

BurnTire
05-29-07, 11:45 AM
So my car is detonating pretty bad after 4k rpm. Going to PSR Wednesday to have them take a few degrees out so hopefully it will live a little bit longer. I have been looking at MMR shortblocks as well as possibly having the guy that built the motor in Dan's car do it. Problem right now is funding.

I can get an MMR 4.6 900hp capable shortblock for ~3200 + shipping. Sounds like a good deal and have heard nothing but good things about them. I want a 5.0 stroker but thats another $800 that I'm not sure I wanna spend or have to spend. Probably will be taking out a loan to get it anyway.... This sucks.

I have to run a totally different timing table in the summer. The heat out here is not your friend. I also run a can of toroc on every fill up. I hate running boost on the crap 91 octane we have in this dust bowl.

Jacostang
05-29-07, 12:10 PM
Well.....

Wait to see what the guys over at PSR have to say, but it doesn't sound to good buddy... On the bright side, a new motor always brings a smile to my face!!!!:yes:

Lucafu1
05-29-07, 12:20 PM
i know someone that has a mod900 for sale. he wants around $2200. but the compression might be a bit to high for a sohc.

ASUSMC
05-29-07, 12:34 PM
Thats what I was lookin at was the Mod900. I already have the blower and I am thinking about selling it in order to help pay for the motor and such (I really don't wanna do this but may have to).

ASUSMC
05-29-07, 03:21 PM
i know someone that has a mod900 for sale. he wants around $2200. but the compression might be a bit to high for a sohc.

How high is the compression and how much would it matter 2V to 4V???

Plus if I am gonna do this I wanna do it right. I wanna get some cams while the heads are off and longtubes while the motor is out of the car.

Lucafu1
05-29-07, 04:27 PM
The motor is an MMR 900 with 10.5:1 pistons if used in a 4valve. The rod bolts are the ARP 2000's. the compression will go up with sohc heads from what im told, but some port work can help. LMK and ill get you his contact info. hes in PHX too.

OH3MGSVT
05-29-07, 08:31 PM
cant say i didnt see this one coming, but it sucks that its hurtin already. that would be baddass to have a 5.0 shortblock in there.

AZSonicSnake
05-29-07, 09:32 PM
that sucks man. hate to say it, but alex has a point, you have said many times that it is only a matter of time....

TRUUBLE
05-29-07, 10:14 PM
That's a drag, brother. I went through 3 motors last year, so I feel your pain.

BurnTire
05-29-07, 10:31 PM
That's a drag, brother. I went through 3 motors last year, so I feel your pain.

All on the mustang?

TRUUBLE
05-29-07, 10:37 PM
All on the mustang?

Yep. Blew the stock 302 at the ADRA race (experimenting with nitro). Put in a built 306, which promptly ate a lifter and self destructed. Put in a DSS 331, which gave it's last and best effort at Fun Ford Fontana (running on 2 burnt pistons and a seeping head gasket).

Too much boost, too much nitro, too much timing, a combination of the three . . take your pick.

That's why I built the alky motor. It runs cool as a cucumber and it'll go nines on nuts. Of course, I can't drive it on the street anymore. But, I'm at the track almost every weekend . . . and the car was almost always down for repairs last year, anyway.

BurnTire
05-29-07, 10:40 PM
Yep. Blew the stock 302 at the ADRA race (experimenting with nitro). Put in a built 306, which promptly ate a lifter and self destructed. Put in a DSS 331, which gave it's last and best effort at Fun Ford Fontana (running on 2 burnt pistons and a seeping head gasket).

Too much boost, too much nitro, too much timing, a combination of the three . . take your pick.

That's why I built the alky motor. It runs cool as a cucumber and it'll go nines on nuts. Of course, I can't drive it on the street anymore. But, I'm at the track almost every weekend . . . and the car was almost always down for repairs last year, anyway.

Makes me appreciate my stock cobra motor with a Whipple.

TRUUBLE
05-29-07, 10:43 PM
Makes me appreciate my stock cobra motor with a Whipple.

You should. You're squezzing some great power outta that thing.

AZSonicSnake
05-29-07, 11:22 PM

damn. i need to do what you do for a living. if i cook the current motor in my cobra it will likely be the next decade before it roams the street again...:yes:

TRUUBLE
05-30-07, 12:13 AM
damn. i need to do what you do for a living. if i cook the current motor in my cobra it will likely be the next decade before it roams the street again...:yes:

All you have to do is go to law school . . . . at UofA . . . :icon_cool:

Lucafu1
05-30-07, 12:51 AM
All you have to do is go to law school . . . . at UofA . . . :icon_cool:

UofA FTW:biglaugh:

ASUSMC
05-30-07, 08:23 AM
U of A ftl Go Devils!

TRUUBLE
06-01-07, 12:21 AM
U of A ftl Go Devils!

Know how you get an ASU grad off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza . . . . :biglaugh:

Indy
06-01-07, 12:44 AM
:hyper: :biglaugh:

ASUSMC
06-01-07, 01:48 AM
Shane knows why that is actually funny. I am not an ASU grad so that doesn't bother me. Tucson smells funny, is run down, and looks like a dust storm just blew through... all the time.

Plus last time I checked we have won the last two Territorial Cups... both games I attended and literally was getting spit on and whatever passes as food down there thrown on me in Tucson. High class.

BurnTire
06-01-07, 01:55 AM
So you are a Tucson Fan.

TRUUBLE
06-01-07, 09:05 AM
Shane knows why that is actually funny. I am not an ASU grad so that doesn't bother me. Tucson smells funny, is run down, and looks like a dust storm just blew through... all the time.

Plus last time I checked we have won the last two Territorial Cups... both games I attended and literally was getting spit on and whatever passes as food down there thrown on me in Tucson. High class.

Why do you think I left and moved to Scottsdale? . . lol

Phx99Cobra
06-07-07, 10:24 PM
just figured i put it out there but i have a 01 gt for sale that runs 13.5 at 102, so not that much slower than your at now and the whole car is $8700. The car is n/a. Anyways sorry that you have to worry about forked out a lot of money, hopefully psr can help.

ASUSMC
06-16-07, 09:17 PM
Well I go drivin home tonight and the motor popped. Shitty day at work then this happens. I am just having a dandy of a day...

Casey39er
06-16-07, 11:12 PM
Damm Man sorry to hear that. :gloomy:

What is the plan now?

ASUSMC
06-17-07, 04:50 PM
Well until I get a motor in the car I will be driving either an 86 Buick or a 91 Miata. But either an MMR shortblock or a Zimmy Shortblock. Gonna get longtubes and cams while the motor is out cause it only makes sense

AZSonicSnake
06-17-07, 05:03 PM
i was sooo bummed when i got your text last night. so sorry to hear it man. anything i can do to help, just lemme know!!

Casey39er
06-17-07, 06:14 PM
Well until I get a motor in the car I will be driving either an 86 Buick or a 91 Miata. But either an MMR shortblock or a Zimmy Shortblock. Gonna get longtubes and cams while the motor is out cause it only makes sense

Yea, I hear ya. As long as you are gonna spend the time and money you might as well do it right.

Good Luck, and keep us up to date on your progress..

__________________________________________________ _____

ASUSMC
06-17-07, 09:18 PM
Pulled the valve covers off tonight as well as yanked the plugs. Number one plug (driver side front) had obviously been hit by something cause there was no gap at all and the electrode was sitting on the part that actually sparks. Ran a compression test on that cylinder and it was 110ish so thats good to go. The timing chain was a little loose on the bottom so I'm thinking that the chain might have just jumped a link and messed up the timing. Won't know for sure until I get more done to the motor.

Shane or Dan is that possible or have you heard of it before cause if thats it I may still have some time to save for the new motor

ASUSMC
06-18-07, 11:50 PM
So today I ran a compression test on all cylinders and all fo that actually checked out. All were within 10psi of each other so I know the motor is fine. Now the blower is making wierd noises so I don't know whats going on there.

We have actually at this point determined that it is a fuel delivery issue. The loud pop I heard and why the motor has been running like crap 50% of the time is something in the fuel system just isn't keeping up when I rev the car. After I rev it hard the motor comes down and runs like ****. If you start it back up immediately and try to run it it just dies and won't stay running. BUT if I shut it down, then cycle the key on and off a few times (to let the fuel pump load and build pressure again) the car idles like a dream and runs fine as long as I don't rev it hard.

AZSonicSnake
06-19-07, 12:06 AM
does the gt have a fuel rail pressure sensor like the 32v's do?

ASUSMC
06-19-07, 12:10 AM
Yep and the car showed no codes

AZSonicSnake
06-19-07, 12:35 AM
hmmm....seems to me thats what the car would do if that sucker popped. but i would call the guys at psr first and ask thier .02....

ReaperAZ
06-28-07, 08:35 AM
What are you running for a fuel system? Which pump and injectors are you running?

ASUSMC
06-28-07, 08:44 AM
Update. Knew this a couple days ago but it never dawned on me to post it. Broke part of the piston on driver side front off. Apparently it shot out the exhaust. I still have compression in that cylinder and the car runs fine. So I'm driving it until it finally pops completely.

I need a fuel system and may just leave the one I have in there until I too can find that extra cash to get the complete return fuel system w dual pumps.

ReaperAZ
06-28-07, 09:06 AM
Were you rnning the factory pump and 19# injectors? That's pretty scary.

If so then I can guarantee that's why your motor is done for.

ASUSMC
06-28-07, 09:09 AM
No I run 42lb injectors and a single Ford GT pump but that won't be good at that high of power. Probably gonna have to upgrade to 60lb injectors and dual pumps with a return style system.

ReaperAZ
06-28-07, 09:15 AM
Sweet. My goal from day one has been 500rwhp daily driven. I have a really safe tune in my car and she runs a bit on the fat side to be that safe. But now the next "step" up in power is gonna be an arse whoppin on my wallet for sure. S/B, trans, axles, clutch, intercooler....my wallet is screaming for mercy right now.

AZSonicSnake
06-29-07, 12:17 AM
yikes missing piston parts= no bueno!!! sorry to hear it. nomo racin for you! well, till you get a fresh new momo...