PDA

View Full Version : Solution to my leaking exhaust....

OH3MGSVT
06-28-07, 07:38 PM
well everyone has been telling me i need some sort of insert where the header meets the X pipe on my car to fix the exhaust leak I have......well i was going through BBk's website and came across this statement about exhaust leaks on the drivers side: The piping itself is correct. For whatever reason, some Mustang models leave the factory with a different style header stud on the Driver side, one that has a "shoulder" on it. This shoulder interferes with the flange, not allowing it to come up all the way and seal against the manifold. There are a couple of things that can be done to correct this. Both solutions require the removal of the factory-supplied studs. Once this has been accomplished, you can either A) replace them with a shoulderless-style stud, or B) simply use a nut-and-bolt setup. This should let the flange to come up further unobstructed, allowing the pipe to seal adequately on that side, providing a leak-free fit.

so with that said.......what do i need to do to go about fixing that? not really sure what I need to buy/do

BurnTire
06-28-07, 08:06 PM
You need studs without a stop on them. I assume you are leaking on the drivers side. If you take a look at the factory studs you will see the have a stop (shoulder) on them. Sometimes this interferes with the flange and things will not seal up correctly. I attached a picture of my old studs. I attempted to grind the shoulder down some, but ended up going to auto zone to get different studs. You need studs without that extra material (shoulder) in the center.

OH3MGSVT
07-03-07, 06:34 PM
ahh I see, so I can just take that out and put in a regular nut and bolt instead?

BurnTire
07-03-07, 06:45 PM
ahh I see, so I can just take that out and put in a regular nut and bolt instead?

Take the studs out and go get a set of studs with the same threads without the shoulder in the middle. Autozone had a set that fit mine. Be sure to take the nuts when you looking for a set to test fit to the new studs.

BurnTire
07-03-07, 06:57 PM
You need a stud like this without the big shoulder in the middle.

OH3MGSVT
07-06-07, 06:12 PM
You need a stud like this without the big shoulder in the middle.

oh okay, sweet! that definitely helps me out. thanks for the help jeff !:pinkthumb:

Gene
07-06-07, 08:14 PM
oh okay, sweet! that definitely helps me out. thanks for the help jeff !:pinkthumb:

Checker and autozone both carry these

Dan
07-07-07, 10:51 AM
I have an idea how about put your factory pipe on and ditch that aftermarket junk

The piping itself is correct. For whatever reason, some Mustang models leave the factory with a different style header stud on the Driver side, one that has a "shoulder" on it. This shoulder interferes with the flange, not allowing it to come up all the way and seal against the manifold. There are a couple of things that can be done to correct this. Both solutions require the removal of the factory-supplied studs. Once this has been accomplished, you can either A) replace them with a shoulderless-style stud, or B) simply use a nut-and-bolt setup. This should let the flange to come up further unobstructed, allowing the pipe to seal adequately on that side, providing a leak-free fit.

nice post jeff

OH3MGSVT
08-08-07, 11:26 PM
I have an idea how about put your factory pipe on and ditch that aftermarket junk

Aftermarket junk? I got a lot more power from the O/r X pipe than I did with the heavy ass stock midpipe, plus matted with the Mags it sounds great

BurnTire
08-08-07, 11:29 PM
Did you ever get the studs put in?

OH3MGSVT
08-10-07, 03:33 AM
Did you ever get the studs put in?
no not yet, havent had a chance to get to them yet..i also need a good enough jack to lift the front up...or put it on some ramps

BurnTire
08-10-07, 10:30 AM
I have gray rhino ramps.

OH3MGSVT
08-10-07, 06:42 PM
hmm... i may have to come borrow them if you would be so kind :Bucktooth:

i borrow some from my friend andy but they dont look high enough but i'll try them out, if they dont work....where are you located at?

BurnTire
08-10-07, 08:39 PM
East Mesa. The ramps are like $25 at wal mart.