PDA

View Full Version : DSS Level-5 issues

Taz
08-07-07, 12:59 PM
First a little background ...

I bought a set of L-5's from DSS more than 2 years ago, when I began assembling parts for some driveline upgrades. This was long before any comments regarding DSS poor engineering and sloppy tolerances began to surface, and the L-5's sat in my garage until this past winter, when I finally got started installing everything. In other words, it was already too late for me buy something else when folks like Jeff (BurnTire) began to have issues with their L-5's, I read their threads on the various message boards with interest, but all I could do by then was hope for the best.

Fast forward to the installation ...

The first issue I had with my L-5's occurred when I began pressing the wheel studs into the hubs. I didn't want to run open lugs, so I picked up some OEM Ford wheel studs to use. They pressed into one of the DSS hubs just fine, but the holes in the other hub were far too large for the OEM studs.

That's when I measured the both the OEM studs and the ARP studs that shipped with the L-5's and discovered that the ARP's had larger knurl diameters. The ARP studs fit the DSS hub with the larger stud holes just fine, but I seriously doubt that I could have installed them in the hub with the smaller holes.

I contacted Frank at DSS about the mismatched stud holes, and he replaced both hubs after a number of email messages and phone conversations. (This was toward the end of last year.) The stud holes in both new hubs were sized for the ARP wheel studs, so the OEM studs wouldn't work, but I discovered that Moser makes a set of wheel studs that are the same thread and length as the stockers, but with the correct knurl diameter for the DSS hubs. I bought a set of those, and they pressed in fine.

Everything appeared to fit perfectly when I finished installing the L-5's along with various other driveline upgrades. The hub diameters appeared to be within tolerance specs, and the hubs fit snugly when pressed into the bearings. I torqued the axle nuts to 240 lb-ft, just to be on the safe side, and called it good. That was then.

Fast forward to the present ...

The Cobra isn't a daily driver, and I've put only 1300 miles on the clock since installing the L-5’s. But I recently noticed some noise coming from the rear end. Since the noise was more pronounced when I put a lateral load on the car, the first possibility that came to mind was wheel bearings.

I put the car in the air and shook both wheel/tire assemblies. Sure enough the driver side was loose enough to clunk when I shook it back and forth. Bummer. I retorqued both axle nuts to 240 lb-ft. (Although only the driver side made any clunking noise, both sides had loosened up.)

Now for the big question: is this the end of it, or are the L-5’s going to continue to self-destruct. Also, if they’re going to keep eating up the bearings, how long do I have before I need to seriously consider replacing them?

I’m really disappointed that I’ve spent a gruntload of shekels for what were supposedly the stoutest half-shaft/hub assemblies on the market only to have them begin to self-destruct after just 1300 relatively easy miles. That just isn’t right.

I’ve been taking it really easy on the car since the driveline upgrades, because of all the new parts that I installed. But I want to be able to get back into driving some open-track in the not too distant future. Unfortunately, I just don’t see how I can do that now without worrying about having to make the trip home on the back of a flatbed.

Jeff, how did you resolve your issues with your L-5’s???

I think I remember reading that you have subsequently switched back to the stock Terminator hubs and half-shafts. Is that true? Is that my best course of action, as well?

Do I have a prayer of recouping any of my hard-earned money, considering I bought the DSS parts in 2005, despite the fact that they have seen less than 1500 miles??? I suppose this sort of experience is what prompted the old Romans to come up with the admonishment, “Caveat Emptor!” Except, I don’t think they had any Cobra model chariots. Carroll Shelby isn’t THAT old. LOL!

Any/all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

:gloomy:

BurnTire
08-07-07, 02:03 PM
I feel your pain. The simple fact is DSS sucks.
I had 2 sets that did not work. I got my money back, but that was not after a few years of use. Both sets had issues after the first drive.
I went back to the stockers which have yet to break.
Someday I will go solid axle.
Here are the threads.
http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2713
http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2514

Taz
08-07-07, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Jeff.

I doubt I'll be able to talk DSS into any sort of refund, considering how long ago I bought the parts, so I guess I'll just continue to monitor them. If/when the bearings cash it in, I'll replace everything with OEM Terminator parts.

Live and learn.

:Crysmile:

BurnTire
08-07-07, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Jeff.

I doubt I'll be able to talk DSS into any sort of refund, considering how long ago I bought the parts, so I guess I'll just continue to monitor them. If/when the bearings cash it in, I'll replace everything with OEM Terminator parts.

Live and learn.

:Crysmile:

That is the best bet if you want to keep the IRS.
Basically your bearings are spinning on the hubs and creating all the slop.

fazm
08-07-07, 06:53 PM
SRA ftw :)

i hate the IRS on the cobra lol. if we keep it, its goin SRA.

BurnTire
08-07-07, 06:55 PM
SRA ftw :)

i hate the IRS on the cobra lol. if we keep it, its goin SRA.

I don't hate mine. 1.59 60ft.

I just wish someone made a good aftermarket half shaft.

AZSonicSnake
08-07-07, 07:55 PM
my suggestion, SRA. think thats the only way to go if you play on the 1320 alot....

fazm
08-07-07, 08:58 PM
I don't hate mine. 1.59 60ft.

I just wish someone made a good aftermarket half shaft.

i went 1.64 with a v6 though :)

im sure with a SRA ud be dippin into the 1.4xx easily

BurnTire
08-07-07, 09:03 PM
i went 1.64 with a v6 though :)

im sure with a SRA ud be dippin into the 1.4xx easily

Not easy with that big fat heavy motor up front. It will take more than a just slapping in a Solid to pull 1.4's.

fazm
08-07-07, 10:36 PM
yup, more boost lol.

AZSonicSnake
08-07-07, 11:14 PM
which is fairly easy last time i remember with that little black box ontop of jeff's motor. just add a smaller pulley....:woot1:

BurnTire
08-08-07, 01:04 AM
which is fairly easy last time i remember with that little black box ontop of jeff's motor. just add a smaller pulley....:woot1:

Black Box? Well it is a sexy black box so it is ok.:biglaugh:

BurnTire
08-08-07, 01:05 AM
yup, more boost lol.

Thats a start and some suspension work.

AZSonicSnake
08-08-07, 09:56 AM
Black Box? Well it is a sexy black box so it is ok.:biglaugh:

you know for some reason i find myself unable to argue that point...:woot1:

Gene
08-08-07, 11:29 AM
solid axle FTMFW!