PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket fiberglass Hood question

kbldoc
08-28-07, 06:33 PM
I am having a cervinis hood painted and need your opinion,
the bodyshop is painting the underside the same color as the rest of the car but not clear coating
should this be clear coated or left without like the origanal hoods come from factory?
what would be the downside of having the underside clear coated?

Craig
08-28-07, 08:13 PM
Depends on what kind of paint they use. If they're using a base coat /clear coat, it has to have the clear coat for protection and shine. They might though be using a single stage on the underside. In that case it's OK. Ask what type of paint they're using????? You can use a single stage (urethane or acrylic enamel) on areas that aren't always visable (door jams, under hoods) to save some bucks.

Viper_ed
08-30-07, 09:17 AM
Just have them Basecoat and Clearcoat everything. It will look better! :yes:

kbldoc
08-30-07, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the advise :goodidea:

Jacostang
09-02-07, 11:15 AM
Just have them Basecoat and Clearcoat everything. It will look better! :yes:
Yeah, I wonder why they would go through the trouble of mixing up different types of paint? Can't save that much.

kbldoc
09-02-07, 02:16 PM
Hood and side scoops painted,
Talked to painter again about underside of hood, he said the clear coat would not be good because of heat???
anyhow, whata ya think?:biglaugh:
Sorry camera sucks!!

BurnTire
09-02-07, 02:17 PM
Looks Sharp.

Torchmach
09-02-07, 02:36 PM
Hood and side scoops painted,
Talked to painter again about underside of hood, he said the clear coat would not be good because of heat???
anyhow, whata ya think?

You have to trust your painter, ask a lot of questions though. If you show alot of interest in the job, He'll know how important, it is to you to do it right. The good ones think of themself's as artists, and know that a job done right is the best form of advertising.

I like the way your Car is looking! Has a serious business like look to it, without being too flashy!

Jacostang
09-02-07, 11:22 PM
Great pics! That's the park at 32nd and Southern, right? you must live right around the corner from me!!!

kbldoc
09-03-07, 09:45 AM
Great pics! That's the park at 32nd and Southern, right? you must live right around the corner from me!!!

Hello neighbor:hellothere:
Yes it is,
I like the hood you put on your car, almost bought the same one.

kbldoc
09-03-07, 10:06 AM
You have to trust your painter, ask a lot of questions though. If you show alot of interest in the job, He'll know how important, it is to you to do it right. The good ones think of themself's as artists, and know that a job done right is the best form of advertising.

I like the way your Car is looking! Has a serious business like look to it, without being too flashy!

you're absolutley correct, my painter did have the arstist attitude and spent alot of time on prep.

Thank You for the feedback, still work in progress, wanted it to look different and stay simple

Stripes or no Stripes :bounce: :ohno: :dunno:

AZSonicSnake
09-03-07, 02:41 PM
i say no stripes. looks great the way it is. i think the stripes might be a little too much.

crazy ray
09-03-07, 04:23 PM
It looks nice the way it is. :applause:

Viper_ed
09-04-07, 06:47 AM

Really? I have always cleared the underside of all my hoods and never had an issue.

kbldoc
09-05-07, 06:52 AM
Thank you.:hi:

Torchmach
09-06-07, 07:18 PM
you're absolutley correct, my painter did have the arstist attitude and spent alot of time on prep.

Thank You for the feedback, still work in progress, wanted it to look different and stay simple

Stripes or no Stripes :bounce: :ohno: :dunno:

It looks good right now, without stripes, the first 3-4 times I saw S-197 Mustangs with stripes I thought how cool, how retro! Everybody has stripes now, stand out from the herd without them. You can always change your mind and stripe the Car later!

What are you doing, or have done with the Exhaust? Saleen put the Edelbrock axleback on the Parnell Jones Edition Cars. Very unique sound! Just on the boardline of too loud, but stands apart from the others. Part of the PJ sound is due to different camshafts, and a longer stroke, but the Edlebrock axleback would set you apart from the others.

papa t
09-14-07, 10:35 AM
Man, that's a great looking hood!

What can you expect to pay for a decent paint job on a hood?

kbldoc
09-15-07, 05:20 PM
Thanks
$500-$800 depending the shop, mine was on the upper end because of some additional finish work i requested on the underside of the hood.

msy
09-26-07, 08:20 PM
Do you have the CDC aggressive chin spoiler? Where did you get that lower insert that protects the coolers?

ShelbysDad
10-04-07, 12:04 AM
Just curious who your painter is. I am looking for a quaility painter to do a two-tone job on a chin spoiler. Sounds like your person is a pro.

Blackmagic1
10-06-07, 01:11 PM
I'm also looking for a good painter to re-do my rear spoiler.(Also a Cervini hood- The new Heat exchanger one- when my cash flow increases!)