PDA

View Full Version : New LX

MISN3RD
02-26-06, 11:01 AM
we just bought a 1988 LX 5.0 NOTCH BACK. it has 122k on it and it runs great. iv never seena 88notch that has a great as body as this one. it came with a ... mac cold air kit,offroad H pipe, ford racing shorty headers,3.55 gears,steeda shifter,
new T5 tremec, new clutch,flexalite fan. i would like to know wut you gus would do first do add some nice power to it.

Radeon
02-26-06, 02:58 PM
First thing I would do since its not mentioned is put a set of underdrive pulleys on it.

50 BMG
02-26-06, 05:04 PM
I ain't familiar with them there Ford pushrod engines...do dem have the same parts as those OHC engines?

I asked Jethro and he says do some 250 shot first, only cause thats what all them Chebby boys do on their pushpod engines. After that, personally, I'd replace all 4 cams cause them stock stickers are the outhouse stink.

MISN3RD
03-05-06, 10:32 AM
ooo sorry it has a set of march u/d pulleys on it

Dan
03-05-06, 08:25 PM
heads cam and intake followed by suspentions and frame stiffiners, then possably a cage and a turbo then next week I'd ad a meth kit hey but that is just me.

Dan
03-05-06, 08:26 PM
oh the first thing I would do is put a real motor in it and a real trans sell thoes while they are still good

Hibs
07-10-06, 12:56 AM
oh the first thing I would do is put a real motor in it and a real trans sell thoes while they are still good

nothing wrong with a pushrod 5.0 and a tremec. :icon_confused:

BurnTire
07-10-06, 01:10 AM
The 5.0 can take a heck of a beating thats for sure. I had on when I was 21 and beat the shit out of it for 70,000 miles with half of those on a blower. Never Missed a beat. But like everything a stock 5.0 has its limits.
If you are a horsepower junkie like Dan the motor and trans has to go. LOL

blackblurr89
08-13-06, 08:02 PM
we just bought a 1988 LX 5.0 NOTCH BACK. it has 122k on it and it runs great. iv never seena 88notch that has a great as body as this one. it came with a ... mac cold air kit,offroad H pipe, ford racing shorty headers,3.55 gears,steeda shifter,
new T5 tremec, new clutch,flexalite fan. i would like to know wut you gus would do first do add some nice power to it.

learning were to put reply

BurnTire
08-13-06, 08:09 PM
learning were to put reply

Feel free to introduce yourself in the welcome new members section. You will find many local mustang enthusiasts here.
Enjoy the site.

swirl
08-20-06, 08:13 PM
I put a T66 turbo on my fox and it can keep up with the hondas now...lol:lol:

BurnTire
08-20-06, 09:00 PM
I put a T66 turbo on my fox and it can keep up with the hondas now...lol:lol:

Turbo up the boost some more.:icon_smile:

1SLO50
10-03-06, 07:18 PM
http://www.highperformancestangs.com/gallery/data/500/ebay_110.jpgWelcometo the forums. I am new to the site as well. I am offering the below information as a fellow fox body owner. 1992 gt to be exact. I have run several combinations in my own car and I offer advice from experience, not opinion.:awsome:

It's easy to say supercharge it and turbo it. The fact of the matter is that there is a lot more to supercharging and turbocharging than just bolting parts on. I don't know what your budget is, but I would invest in a new set of heads, 24# injectors with matching mass air and 70 mm throttle body, higher flow upper and lower intake manifolds and some high flow exhaust components. These upgrades focus on torque numbers and the 5.0. engine responds really well to added flow.

Don't neglect the brakes or cooling system either. Install a good clutch and your tremec will live for quite a while. If you really want to perform at the strip, invest in a top notch AOD and 2800-3000 stall converter like those built and sold at Lentech. You will have dead accurate shifts and lightning fast torque transfer.

Ditch the underdrive pulleys! I say that because they hurt your cooling and charging efficiency and you see 6-7 horsepower to the flywheel at 6000 rpm. When it comes to cooling, the flex-a-lite fan will bite you in the butt when you add more power. It pulls aroune 2000 cfm and you will definately need around 4000 cfm. Check into a lincoln mark 8 fan and visit www.centech.com (http://www.centech.com) for a really easy to install dual relay. These things work flawlessly.:2thumbs:

The truth is that if you first concentrate on building a really efficient normally aspirated motor, bolting on a power adder will add more power. It will not take as much boost to add more horsepower. Concentrate on efficiency rather than bling.

I am more than willing to share thoughts and personal experiences with you. I have plenty of DOH moments that have taught me what works and what does'nt. :thmbsup:

Stern90LX
10-08-06, 04:43 PM
When it comes to cooling, the flex-a-lite fan will bite you in the butt when you add more power. It pulls aroune 2000 cfm and you will definately need around 4000 cfm. Check into a lincoln mark 8 fan and visit www.centech.com (http://www.centech.com) for a really easy to install dual relay. These things work flawlessly.:2thumbs:

Just a quick note. Depends on which Flex-a-lite you are running. The 165 pulls 2800 CFM(I don't recommend it) the Flex-a-Lite Blackmagic Xtreme (part #185) however pulls 3300 CFM. It's what I run with a FRP 3 core aluminum rad. and 180 degree Thermostat and cooling isn't an issue. Also it's very recommended you update to the 130amp 3G alternator (http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/alternator.html) if you go electric fan(s).