PDA

View Full Version : In need of a dyno tune...

FSTFTSH
02-27-06, 11:42 PM
I' m picking up my 04 Cobra within a week and it needs a tune. I am willing to go to reputable shop and get the dyno tune although I am unaware of the prices... What are the ballpark prices in the area for a chip and dyno tune?

Thanks

Radeon
02-27-06, 11:55 PM
Give Dan a call. He's the owner of Performance Solutions. He should be able to get you in for a tune once their dyno is installed. His number his 602 269 8955. Make sure he knows your a member of this board.

50 BMG
02-28-06, 09:20 AM
I'd highly suggest letting Devin down @ Performance Solutions tune your car. They already have a waiting list for the new dyno so give the shop a call.

The rest of the local tuners are "spoken for"....if you get my drift.

Gene
02-28-06, 10:10 AM
www.runninwiththedevil.com
SCT software and custom tune for 400 bucks. He's the best in the business. He tunes several cars on this board and thousands of others out there. Or you can wait for dans dyno which last I heard was a month out. I'll tell yout this though, my car will never be tuned by anyone else and runs ****ing strong.

BurnTire
02-28-06, 04:56 PM
I'll second that

www.runninwiththedevil.com
SCT software and custom tune for 400 bucks. He's the best in the business. He tunes several cars on this board and thousands of others out there. Or you can wait for dans dyno which last I heard was a month out. I'll tell yout this though, my car will never be tuned by anyone else and runs ****ing strong.

FSTFTSH
02-28-06, 06:44 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I spoke to Dan and the suggested $900 for dyno tune with chip seemed rather expensive.... Although I have not checked out the "other" shops.

Burn Tire & Gene- I here wonderful things about RWTD.... I read in a post a couple weeks back that you suggested getting a DataLogger and WideBand 02 Reader if I am going with a out of state tune... ???

I would like to get a in-state dyno tune although all these out-of-state tuners have much more tuning experience and have seen what they have produced.

???????

Lucafu1
02-28-06, 06:46 PM
ill throw in my 2#s
ive ran rwtd tunes and i dont think there all that. in fact his tune toasted my first engine. when i switched to sct i used modular depot (ken) and his tune pulls like a beast. plus you dont even get james to tune your car anymore unless you go to him personally. ed is now doing the tuning for cobras. jmo

BurnTire
03-01-06, 06:36 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I spoke to Dan and the suggested $900 for dyno tune with chip seemed rather expensive.... Although I have not checked out the "other" shops.

Burn Tire & Gene- I here wonderful things about RWTD.... I read in a post a couple weeks back that you suggested getting a Data Logger and Wide Band 02 Reader if I am going with a out of state tune... ???

I would like to get a in-state dyno tune although all these out-of-state tuners have much more tuning experience and have seen what they have produced.

???????

Get an SCT xcal2 with custom tuning from RWTD. You must I repeat must get a wide band. I have a PLX Devices M-300 W/B which has an analog output that links into the xcal2. 2 things will kill you lean and too much timing. I am running 20.5 max timing and 11.8-12.0 A/F and running some good times with minimal mods. With any new internet tune you must be careful when you first try it out. Do a 3rd gear pull from 2000 to the red line while data logging. Listen for pinging have someone watch the A/F. I initially had tip in detonation from 1500 to 2500 on my first tune. I have had 6 tweaks to my tune from Ed at RWTD to get it to my satisfaction, but I am very picky.

Dan
03-01-06, 08:15 PM
it is all an opinion plain and simple I will tell you this Idont care who the tuner is someone is going to talk about them as for the tunner at my shop he is the best and has tons of experance seeing as how he it the tuner whom put ADS on the map for Dyno tunning I would have to say that is a good resume, anyway here is a list of the shops in town who do tunning

SVC
AMP
ADS
B&R racing
Pro dyno
AZ Dyno chip
Duffys when you want a street tune with no air fuel and hp #s because they have no actual dyno
Performance Soutions where our dyno isnt finished being built yet and the list gets longer for people wanting Devin to to tune there car.

No matter where you go or what you do you will always find people with difrent opinions. I have seen RWTD be lean as hell on a dyno and you will never know your tune is with out a dyno session I dont care what anyone said.

If you build 2 motors side by side with the same machinest and the same parts they will run completly diffrent so how can a CAN Tune or mail order be the same from car to car ? the answer is it can't some will be lean and some fat

you said we were expensive let me ask you this how much is a preprogramed chip???? well i looked today and the are between 450.00 and 550.00 just for a tunner or a chip, then lets get on a 60k dyno and have some one spend about 4 hours tunning your car ( not one like your car but your actual car) and most shops are between 150.00 and 250.00 an hour for a dyno session so lets low ball this thing the chip with a tune is 450.00 plus the dyno time of 4 hours that is 600.00 now if we add them together that is 1050.00 Wow now that the break down of what an actual DYNO Tune will cost you. So now the 900.00 that we qouted doesnt look so bad. I just wanted to clearify the actual qoute.

Remember you get what you pay for if that wasnt the case then you would have bought a GT in sted of a cobra.

BurnTire
03-01-06, 09:50 PM
Dan

I beg to differ. You don not need a dyno to determine a lean condition. A quality wideband and data logging software will be suffice. There have been dyno tuned cars that have gone kaboom also. A dyno tune followed by some street data logging and fine tuning is probably the best. Also I have 2 tunes one for the summer one for the winter. I notice a .5 A/F lean out when the crap oxygenated gas hit the pumps. You feel strongly about your tuner which is great. This town needs a quality shop for tuning. I don't feel your quote is too expensive for a dyno tune. If someone did a RWTD tune they would spend about the same for the xcal2 and a wideband, but they have to be prepared to datalog and know when to get out of the gas when testing the new tune. So if NVMYHP wants a dyno tune I agree you get what you pay for.

Oh yea Dan do you have any experience with roll cage installation for when I Whipple my ride?

Thanks

Jeff

FSTFTSH
03-02-06, 04:18 AM
Dan

What software do you use for tuning?

Whats the cost of tuning alone?

Whats the apprx time the dyno will be ready?

Zach

Dan
03-02-06, 08:03 AM
Dan

What software do you use for tuning?

Whats the cost of tuning alone?

Whats the apprx time the dyno will be ready?

Zach

1. SCT

2. It will go by the hour if you are buying your own softwear

3. When dyno jet is done building it that is what i am waiting for as well ............... i want to stick my turbos on my red car and my Kb on my car but will not do this unless ihave a dyno to retune it

Gene
03-02-06, 09:15 AM
Bottom line, I've never been on a dyno after my headers and nitrous. All of my tuning has been data logged and sent via email to RWTD (virtual dyno). I would rather tune my car on the street in real world applications than tune on a dyno. Unless that dyno is a DynoJet 224xLC (incorporates the Eddy Current Load Absorption System). My car is retarded, lots of people can vouch for that. Bottom line, I bet Dans dyno and tuner are top notch, so if you can wait, Dans your man! Plus, dyno numbers dont mean shit, all a dyno is good for is tuning. You should invest in a wideband any way even if you do get tuned by Dan. You can still go lean you know regardless of who tunes it. If I go above 12.0:1 in WOT, my DJWBC blasts a red warning light in my face telling me to get out of it. The warning light is adjustable and you can always see your a/f via the guage.

BurnTire
03-02-06, 10:34 AM
Wow

Dan did I somehow offend you. I never said your didn't know your shit or question your skills. I was just stating my opinion.

For what its worth this is my 6th mustang and I have been working on them since my 1990 LX I paid someone 2 times to do work over the years once on the LX to weld the rear torque boxes and to have my subs on the cobra welded I am not a seasoned pro like you, but I am not a moron either. This is my 3rd blown car and I have yet to blow a motor, head gasket or hurt anything. I have seen tons of people blow up supercharged cars over the years. I take my tuning seriously just like you do.

FSTFTSH
03-02-06, 10:42 PM
I will be swinging by tomorrow the 3rd to check out the shop. I will be getting my car either Sunday or Monday.... What is the best time to swing by? I wanted to talk to you about my intentions for the future.

Gene
03-03-06, 08:44 AM
Good reply Dan. What you also need to note is that there are so many variables that can cause a lean condition, i.e. MAF above 5.0 volts in WOT, FPDC maxed out at WOT, beating on it in the summer, clogged fuel filter or injector, bad gas, etc. Anything can happen, thats why these things need to be logged on the street. I log for FPDC, maf transfer function, a/f, timing, short and long fuel trim 1&2 and short fuel trim 1&2 both cruzing , at idle, and at WOT.

Dan
03-03-06, 06:44 PM
so very true