PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Spec clutch--need recommendation

Boss281
10-08-07, 05:21 AM
I had a Spec II+ clutch and steel flywheel installed last July by a very reputable mechanic that specializes in Mustangs and Lightnings. The clutch was certainly stiffer, and oddly the Hurst shifter as well, but I patiently broke the clutch in with 600 miles of weekend and evening driving around town. The clutch loosened up but the shifter was still taking a bit of effort.

I took it to the track and found the shifter nearly impossible to work into gear. Two other drivers said the same thing. We noticed at that point that the clutch pedal was engaging near the floor, and if you suspend the car and turn it on, the rear wheels still spin with the clutch depressed. Given the symptoms, we figure the clutch wasn't disengaging right and most likely wasn't bled properly (tried 3 times with the manual method). Spec tech support recommended a factory spec bleed (vacuum through the brake fluid reservoir). Nothing's helped. First and reverse, especially, just don't want to go in gear. Note there is no grinding so I think the tranny and syncros are fine so far.

If Spec doesn't come through, which early indications suggest, I'm ready to eat the investment and buy a new clutch, and if necessary, another flywheel. Does anyone have any real world recommendations regarding other aftermarket clutches, like Fidanza, Zoom, Centerforce or others? I'm pretty ticked, as my money saved so far was going into sorely needed suspension components, not labor to replace the clutch again.

Thanks for listening.

John

Ruckus46gt
10-08-07, 05:25 AM
friend of mine had a faulty spec clutch. He went to a findanza set up and loved it. I like my tumas set up which was a mixture of parts but was for a t-45 set up, but the disc used was a mcleod. I loved my mcleod disc. I'd go that way

Boss281
10-08-07, 05:33 AM
friend of mine had a faulty spec clutch. He went to a findanza set up and loved it. I like my tumas set up which was a mixture of parts but was for a t-45 set up, but the disc used was a mcleod. I loved my mcleod disc. I'd go that way

Thanks for the quick reply! That's the 2nd recommendation for a Fidanza, so I'm scouring the web now looking for the lowest price in case I need to order one tonight.

John

Dan
10-08-07, 11:08 AM

Blackmagic1
10-08-07, 11:10 AM
:twothumbsup: Fidenza+1 esp their flywheels!

BurnTire
10-08-07, 11:24 AM
So how does the 05+ clutch setup work? Is it hydraulic?

Viper_ed
10-08-07, 11:32 AM
:yes:

Dan
10-08-07, 11:34 AM

yes sir

Next thing you know someone will tell the guy you need to buy a new master and slave for it as well

Boss281
10-08-07, 03:02 PM

Boss281
10-08-07, 04:13 PM
yes sir

Next thing you know someone will tell the guy you need to buy a new master and slave for it as well

And I'm glad I called you! Thanks for letting me talk your ear off and then patiently explaining the hows and whys of Spec clutches and aftermarket shifters. It's nice for once to talk with aftermarket resellers that actually understand the products they sell.

I've sent you a PM with my suspension parts quote request.

Thanks again Dan.

John

LSlayer
10-08-07, 09:15 PM
Mcloed has a new slave cylinder our for the 05+s. But its expensive at $700+.

fazm
10-08-07, 09:27 PM
sounds like an install issue. i installed my spec stage 3 on my 05 with 0 problems. im pushing about 80 more torque than its rated for, and its been holding up for nearly 11k miles so far.

bleeding the clutch on the s197 isnt as easy as most, but its not rocket science.

AZSonicSnake
10-08-07, 09:54 PM
i'll be honest, untill dan helped me adjust my clutch and told me about adding the ldc freeplay mod, i hated my spec clutch. but now with those two things done, i love it. been flawless for the past year and 50+ runs down the drag strip. :twothumbsup:

Boss281
10-09-07, 04:19 AM
sounds like an install issue. i installed my spec stage 3 on my 05 with 0 problems. im pushing about 80 more torque than its rated for, and its been holding up for nearly 11k miles so far.

bleeding the clutch on the s197 isnt as easy as most, but its not rocket science.

Maybe not rocket science but we've tried several times manually and even using the vacuum method per Ford manual. Dan is convinced I have air trapped around the slave and rapidly walked me through a method for clearing it, but I need to get it written down so I don't sleep on it and forget it again (hey guys, I AM turning 50 this year!)...

John