PDA

View Full Version : mods help

wraith
10-13-07, 10:27 AM
ok guys/gals ive decided that a s/c or turbo is just outta my grasp, id like to squeeze some more power out of my car with just bolt on parts what are the best options to go pulleys,charge motion delete plates stuff like that?
currently running steeda cia and steeda/sct programmer
thanks all appreciate any help

Boss281
10-13-07, 02:36 PM
ok guys/gals ive decided that a s/c or turbo is just outta my grasp, id like to squeeze some more power out of my car with just bolt on parts what are the best options to go pulleys,charge motion delete plates stuff like that?
currently running steeda cia and steeda/sct programmer
thanks all appreciate any help

I'll tell you what I've experienced first hand and in our club (Maryland), and these are for NA cars, and don't necessarily apply the same for supercharged cars/turbos/nitrous:

1. Cold air intake and CUSTOM tune is the biggest bang for the buck.
2. 4.10 gears on a manual or 3.73 gears for the auto.
3. 1-piece aluminum drive shaft (less rotational mass).

Delete plates, throttle bodies, and headers don't do all that much for normally aspirated cars. In fact, the first two are a real source of trouble sometimes if you're living with a canned tune. From what I've experienced and from what I've heard, cmdps and tbs do very little for you performance wise with out forced induction. I pulled both off and sold them--all my drivability problems went away. The sct shop I haunt was glad when that happened, and stopped selling the damn things.

Regarding exhaust, lots of folks make lots of claims about longtube headers, but the only dyno results I've personally seen, indicate at most a 10hp gain on LT headers alone, compared to 5hp for my shorties. On supercharged cars, the gains are a bit more dramatic. Oh, I haven't done pullies on these cars, and don't know anyone around here that has. They seemed to help a bit on our '87, but we didn't do a before/after on the dyno.

Lower the car slightly with some stiffer shocks and 275 series tires, and you'll have a great street machine. Add upper and lower controls arms, performance shifter, and drag radials, and you'll be hovering around the 12s. I hope to have a drag suspension in the car within the next few weeks.

I don't have any personal experience with clutches except the one that I just got (a Spec II+ and steel flywheel) and causing some headaches, but I don't yet have proof the clutch is the problem, so I won't comment yet. I'm going to the track tomorrow now that my shifter is fixed, and we'll see how performance has improved with a new clutch and aluminum driveshaft. Even with a bad shifter, those two mods gave me 3/10s at the track.

Just my comments based on my experience or what I've heard from local tuning shops.

John

LSlayer
10-13-07, 11:53 PM
+1 I would try get a dyno tune or maybe a mail order tune from VMP, Bamachips, Evolution or brenspeed. They are the popular mail-order tuners for bolt on, stockish power S197s.

wraith
10-14-07, 10:12 AM
thanks alot guys i shall begin my quest lol appreciate the help

11sec05
12-22-07, 02:30 PM
i went 13.3@105 with 4.10s and a sct tune for 93 oct, on stock tires, so the gears would be where i would start and then get sticky tires and rear control arms.