PDA

View Full Version : Help with Emissions in CO

Olivas
11-01-07, 02:41 PM
Ok, so I just moved to CO and went and took an emissions test today so I could get the mach registered. Well, the mach failed its test because it seems the NOx emissions are too high. Limit is 3.00, failed with a 3.79. Everything else was well within limits. Car only has bolt-ons and a tune (done in AZ), and it is not even a really aggressive tune.

So, how do I go about getting the NOx emissions down? Their form states that "High NOx readings are the result of high combustion temperatures and/or high combustion pressures." So, would switching to a colder set of plugs help? Running a set of Denso's right now that were put in when the tune was done (about a year old now), can't recall if they were stock heat range or not though.

Dan
11-06-07, 08:53 PM
cats man you need cats use your stock cats

Olivas
11-07-07, 09:04 AM
Went back from my re-test today. Numbers were a little better, but still failed again. Got the NOx emissions to drop from a 3.79 to a 3.32.

This what I tried before making the trip back today:

Seafoam - 1/2 can through the PCV vacuum line going to the intake, other 1/2 into the gas tank (saving just a little bit for cleaning other parts). Drove it around all day Sunday and some on Monday to get everything worked through.

Removed and cleaned JLT PCV pre-filter with some of the seafoam. Unbolted EGR and dribbled remaining seafoam down the EGR valve. Replaced EGR gasket.

New set of NGK TR6 plugs.

Rear tire pressure up to 46 psi.

Drove the car around before heading to the testing facility to ensure everything was warmed up and kept the car running while waiting in line.

No longer have the stock h-pipe to swap back in for the test.

Air filter and MAF were cleaned not even 2000 miles ago. Oil was changed just before the move, and the car was trailed so the Mobile 1 5w20 in there has maybe 500 miles on it.

Any other suggestions, or should I just pop the chip out for the next test and see what that does, after all that would be easier than swapping out the x-pipe.

Dan
11-08-07, 01:11 AM
borrow one that is all you need. some one with a GT,cobra ora mach 1 has to have one they can loan you . it must be a stock unit

Went back from my re-test today. Numbers were a little better, but still failed again. Got the NOx emissions to drop from a 3.79 to a 3.32.

This what I tried before making the trip back today:

Seafoam - 1/2 can through the PCV vacuum line going to the intake, other 1/2 into the gas tank (saving just a little bit for cleaning other parts). Drove it around all day Sunday and some on Monday to get everything worked through.

Removed and cleaned JLT PCV pre-filter with some of the seafoam. Unbolted EGR and dribbled remaining seafoam down the EGR valve. Replaced EGR gasket.

New set of NGK TR6 plugs.

Rear tire pressure up to 46 psi.

Drove the car around before heading to the testing facility to ensure everything was warmed up and kept the car running while waiting in line.

No longer have the stock h-pipe to swap back in for the test.

Air filter and MAF were cleaned not even 2000 miles ago. Oil was changed just before the move, and the car was trailed so the Mobile 1 5w20 in there has maybe 500 miles on it.

Any other suggestions, or should I just pop the chip out for the next test and see what that does, after all that would be easier than swapping out the x-pipe.

tina ryan
12-13-07, 06:20 AM
It happen to me once and I didn't know what to do but because I needed to travel I sold the car- :)

GAZ
11-08-08, 11:40 AM
Hey Olivas, are you still in Denver Do you know of any good tuners?