PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan leak?

IMSHAKN
11-08-07, 04:11 PM
How common is it for the oil pans on the 4.6L motors to develop a leak? I was checking under my car today because I've noticed that a few spots were starting to appear on the driveway. From what I can tell, there is a slow oil leak coming from the rear of the oil pan being that there is fresh oil on the rear of the pan and some is starting to splatter onto my transmission from driving. Also, it looks like the K-member needs to be dropped to get the oil pan out, is this correct?

El Jefe
11-08-07, 04:36 PM
x2. I see little puddles every time I move the car but the dipstick says its full

IMSHAKN
11-08-07, 05:02 PM
After looking more closely at the problem and consulting the shop manual, not only is it a PITA to take out the oil pan, but it may not be the pan itself that is the issue. In august I had to take my car in to the Stealership to diagnose a really bad misfire issue that I had due to the presence of UDP's on my Mach 1. Turned out that the timing trigger wheel was ratcheting around throwing timing way off. Had the dealer put on stock pullies and replace the timing trigger wheel, cost me dearly but I needed the car fixed and I wasn't comfortable with doing the work involved to replace the sensor. It is my understanding that there is an oil seal on the pulley that goes on the crank. There is dirt and oil on the front of the pan, which now makes me think that they didn't do a good job replacing this seal.

I hope this is the case because after looking at the proceedure to drop the oil pan, I about shit myself.

IMSHAKN
11-08-07, 08:01 PM
Scratch that. I figured out exactly what went wrong. Now it's up to the dealer to make right and fix it correctly on their dime.

TorchedMach1
11-09-07, 04:25 PM
Well I guess congrats. LOL It's always nice when sombody else has to pay for it. :laughing1:

IMSHAKN
11-09-07, 04:29 PM
Well I guess congrats. LOL It's always nice when sombody else has to pay for it. :laughing1:

It would be nice if I didn't have to deal with it period, but since they disturbed the seal less than 2 months ago. It was pretty obvious that it wasn't the greatest of seals. I do feel bad for the tech because it's going to be work he has to do for no $$$ since it's a recheck.