PDA

View Full Version : 96 cobra and some questions

96 myst
11-10-07, 02:43 PM
Hey all
I just picked up a 96 mystic cobra. Appears ( to my untrained eye) to be all stock. I have already picked up a set of steeda underdrive pulleys and a K&N cai for it, they go on tomorrow. She has 184,000 miles on her but appears to have been well taken care of.I am the 4th owner, but I picked her up at an auction so I have no idea if the motor has ever been rebuilt. I would love to put a s/c on her, but $$$ will not allow it. Would it be a good or bad idea ( with the high miles) to put a zex nos system on it? I am also a little confused about the whole wet/dry differences. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly welcomed. I am also in the market for a new shifter, I am leaning towards the MGW. Any comments good or bad on that would be awesome. How hard is it to install the mgw shifter, anyone using them on there stangs?

Thanks George

Phx99Cobra
11-10-07, 04:23 PM
Not sure on the nos but that high of mileage I would guess that the engine has taken some beating. I wouldn't sink to much money in it. Then agian I have a friend that has a 86 fox that has 275k on the block and it runs 12.7s, so good luck.

93mustank
11-10-07, 04:41 PM
Put some bolt ons first....gears are a must.... Put a small 100 shot on it

TorchedMach1
11-10-07, 05:15 PM
I would say the nitrous should be better for the motor than a s/c. With a s/c you are gonna be putting atleast minimal boost on the motor with every day driving. If you just spray the car at the track with race gas you can minimize the wear and tear on the motor. But if you do spray it I would prolly say go with a 75 shot or something to make sure your safe, and a Wet Kit is a must.

Either way whatever you put on it will still be there when u have to put in a fresh motor. Which your gonna have to do sooner or later.

96 myst
11-10-07, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies. You all make some valid points. Here is my plan of attack for this vehicle.

underdrive pulleys and cai tomorrow
new mgw shifter
new exhuast
nos system followed by a tune

Not sure what gears are in there now. But from a little research, it seems 4/10's or even 4/30's are the way to go.When would you all throw that in the list above to do? Is there anything else I am missing that would help get this cobra going? Unfortunately I am an electrician and not a mechanic, so most the stuff I will be paying a shop to do for me. I was looking at the zex nos system # 82023, it is a wet system and give a decent boost. If i buy thgat set up, is it a complete set up or would I need more to make the system complete and most of all safe? Sorry about all the questions, I am a complete newbie to performance cars and mods.

TorchedMach1, you are right when I need to rebuild the motor, I will keep all the add ons so, I am not too concerned about putting $ into it since all of it will continue to be used later.Then again, I do not want to trash the car either. I will play it a little conservative for now. But am pretty set on the nos.

Thanks again George

vicious781
11-10-07, 05:52 PM
How does the paint look? Just curious to see how well mystic holds up

96 myst
11-10-07, 06:03 PM
The paint is in ok condition for being a 96.I posted some pics of the bumpers in the detailing section.The clearcoat is going bad and I am trying to figure out how to fix it. Also there is some small cracking going on, on the hood. Not sure how else to explain it. I am not sure if I should have it worked on with a buffer or not. Right now my main concern is the bumpers. They have white flakey stuff on them, it comes off with a scrape of the fingernail.

IMG]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/here4g2/cobra001.jpg[/IMG],

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/here4g2/cobra005.jpg

here is what I am talking about.

George

96 myst
11-10-07, 06:03 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/here4g2/cobra001.jpg

vicious781
11-11-07, 01:42 AM
yikes....possibly severe oxidation.

Phx99Cobra
11-11-07, 02:17 PM
I know when I am ready to put gears in my '99, I will put the 4.30s in. In the cobra the rpm range is so long the 4.30 would be a great choice. Good luck with the bolts on let us now how it goes

96 myst
11-11-07, 03:19 PM
The only place that the paint or clearcoat is doing this is on the plastic bumpers. I think it is the clearcoat. When I scrape it with my fingernail, it comes off real easy and shows the paint underneath. Maybe some rubbing compound and a little elbow grease will take it off.

97desertCobra
11-11-07, 05:11 PM
I would say bolt ons only and save for an engine rebuild for the near future. I was actually looking at your car a while back before I got my black 97. What is your overall goal for the car? Do you want a show car or a street/strip weekend warrior? Because an engine rebuild IMHO will be the thing to invest in. There are many good shops that do rebuilds and complete crate engines that would drop right in your car. But, if the speed bug has bit you hard 4.30 gears will make a world of difference in the car and 75-100 shot would compliment the gears rather well.

96 myst
11-11-07, 06:47 PM
97desertcobra- You were looking at my exact car? On a lot somewhere? I got it at an auction. After tax, title, auction fee's I paid $4781 for it. That also included a new alternater, fuel filter and a couple other small things. I think I got a good deal on it. My goal is to have a sleeper cobra for the street /strip. Not gonna enter it any any car shows or nothing like that. I can always do gears and nos and rebuild later. It is my 2nd car, but does get driven almost daily. Tyhe car seems to run really strong, laeks absolutly no fluids, but does seem to burn some oil, but is not smoking at all. I am getting new tires monday, some nitto 555's, the falkens on there now break loose way to easy.

Thanks for the input
George

97desertCobra
11-13-07, 11:54 AM
96 Myst- Yea I saw your car before on a lot. Im positive it was yours. Same miles same paint exterior conditions. Was for sale for months on end. I think they were asking 7k for it. At just under 5k I say you got a good deal. For a street car gears and a little spray would be fun. But start saving for a new engine.

96 myst
11-14-07, 06:14 PM
I have another question. I have been looking at 4:10 gears. I see there are a few different spline counts. Can I get any spline count or does it have to match up with what is already installed? I have not been able to track down what the count is that comes stock. Sorry if it seems a dumb question, I just do not want to buy the wrong parts. Also is motive a decent brand? I would think that the higher the spline count the better, is this correct.

Thanks George

BurnTire
11-14-07, 06:17 PM
I would recommend going with Ford Racing Gears.

97desertCobra
11-15-07, 09:18 AM
+1000

rlntlss
11-15-07, 09:36 AM
The only place that the paint or clearcoat is doing this is on the plastic bumpers. I think it is the clearcoat. When I scrape it with my fingernail, it comes off real easy and shows the paint underneath. Maybe some rubbing compound and a little elbow grease will take it off.yep that will surely help and after that a little cut and clear and you will be shining :2thumbs:

96 myst
11-15-07, 06:01 PM
Ok, so ford gears it is! Do i have to worry about the spline issue with those? From looking around, I do not see anywhere that says what the spline count is, so I am assuming they only come in 1 size.

Thanks again for the responses

93mustank
11-16-07, 03:49 PM
x2....You can re use the shims

96 myst
12-03-07, 05:56 PM
OK, so here is what has been going on. The car is at the mechanics. Steeda u/d pulleys have been installed, put in new spindle studs, dropped the frpp 4.10 gears and complete bearing set for the rearend today. Should get the car back by wed at the latest. With those mods and the nitto 555's I am excited to see how she does. Next to install is a bbk twin 62mm throttle body, It is on its way. Then I have to give it a rest till after the holidays.
Should be fun when I get her back!!!!!!!

Later George