PDA

View Full Version : K&N Intake System

NVENOM8
12-15-07, 03:38 PM
Hey guys, I a fun time at Firebird last night. Ran a 13.5 with street tires. Remember, my car is stock, and the track wasnt the greatest. I was in my local Checker Auto Parts, and I saw a K&N intake on display, and it said that in the '03-'04 Cobra, it will add 30 hp. Is this an accurate claim? I have a K&N air filter now, but after seeing other Cobras running in the low 12's, I want to slowly start getting there. What do you all think?

AZSonicSnake
12-15-07, 07:06 PM
don't you already have a jlt intake?

NVENOM8
12-16-07, 12:59 PM
NO, its all stock, wih just the filter.

P Machy
12-17-07, 03:08 PM
Is it the FIPK kit? If so, you may want to get the A/F checked since it will lean it out some. Maybe OK if it goes rich up top, but tip in with the stock tune should be a little scary for a few seconds.

NVENOM8
12-17-07, 03:14 PM
Yes it is the FIPK kit. Will a diablo tuner be the best to check the a/f? And what do you mean it will be a little scary for a few seconds?

wickedcobra
12-17-07, 04:03 PM
Your best off taking it and getting a DYNO tune. Just get a mild safe tune and you will be all good. There are plenty of supoorting vendors on here. Give someone a call and Im sure they will get you the info you need.

P Machy
12-17-07, 04:45 PM
Yes, The Diablo Predator will work, but not sure what Octane you have in AZ. CA is crappy 91octane and all the canned tunes were very risky. Only the 91octane Pulley Tune was safe for me...

The FIPK is equal to the JLT RAI stuff IMHO.

It is a matter of taste when it comes down to it since both will yield the same performance.

As for Scary...tip in on the stock ECU A/F is a bit lean. FIPK will lean it out across the board and when I got my FIPK put on with a 2.90 upper and Predator Tune, My A/F gauge would read 16.0:1 at tip in and work its way down past 12.0:1.

If you can avoid low WOT pulls like at 2000 ~ 3500rpms, it would be safer. Dont know how many points it leans it up top, but the stock tune is pretty rich.

vicious781
12-17-07, 04:51 PM
Hey guys, I a fun time at Firebird last night. Ran a 13.5 with street tires. Remember, my car is stock, and the track wasnt the greatest. I was in my local Checker Auto Parts, and I saw a K&N intake on display, and it said that in the '03-'04 Cobra, it will add 30 hp. Is this an accurate claim? I have a K&N air filter now, but after seeing other Cobras running in the low 12's, I want to slowly start getting there. What do you all think?

If you are completely stock, the K&N will NOT lean out your car to the point of any kind of danger. You are just fine putting it on. Now when you slap a different pulley on, thats another story...

NVENOM8
12-17-07, 05:02 PM
Where do you guys suggest getting the dyno tune, I was going to get the FIPK intake kit, and the 2.8 pully (I was told that would be the best) for now. If I have it dyno tuned, then there is no reason for getting the diablo then, correct? How much are dyno shops charging for a tune? Thanks for everyones help. This is a great resource.

chewbaccajones
12-17-07, 05:05 PM
Arizona Dyno Chip charges $425 if you get a chip burned and $625 if you are getting the handheld with it. That won't include the price of the pulley or labor on that. Not sure what PSR charges.

AZSonicSnake
12-17-07, 05:40 PM
when it comes to a tune you get what you pay for. i have had devin at performance solutions tune mine, and he has done in incredible job. i would not trust anyone else to tune my cobra, as thats one of his speacialties.

NVENOM8
12-17-07, 05:50 PM
Where are they located, or do you have a phone number for him. What kind of power can I expect with the intake, pulley and a good tune from Devin?

AZSonicSnake
12-17-07, 06:03 PM
26th ave and mcdowell. 602-269-8955. and as for what power, i am honestly not 100% sure. i would talk to him personally and see what he thinks. he is a very straight up honest guy and will not b.s. you one bit.

NVENOM8
12-17-07, 06:40 PM
Thanks alot, Im gonna go up there probably tomorrow.

AZSonicSnake
12-17-07, 06:48 PM
no problem. honestly i was gonna suggest a trip down there, as nothing beets being able to actually sit and talk with someone. and all the guys down there are very cool.

crazy ray
12-18-07, 01:16 AM
Devin is the Man. I have a 04 cobra with 2.8 pulley, Mac Intake, Bassani X pipe, 3 inch exhaust and a Diablo- Predator programer and came away with 444/461 at the wheels. There was more, but that was good enough for me.

wickedcobra
12-18-07, 02:13 AM
Where are they located, or do you have a phone number for him. What kind of power can I expect with the intake, pulley and a good tune from Devin?

Depending what pulley you could easily put down 440-450

chewbaccajones
12-18-07, 09:06 PM
when it comes to a tune you get what you pay for.

I agree with this when it comes to most things. Is a tune normally more than $700? I actually have no idea what the usual rate for a pulley and tune is. AZ dyno just put in some subframe connectors in for me last week and they had a price sheet posted for tunes on different cars.

AZSonicSnake
12-18-07, 09:23 PM
thats about the range. imo its always better to take your car to someone that specializes in that car. :yes: