PDA

View Full Version : BBK Cold Air intake and NO TUNE

maddme
01-13-08, 09:52 AM
I put a BBK Cold Air intake on my 07 mustang. American Muscle told me that it did not require a tune in order to work prpoperly. I did not want to tune the car until the warranty was up and that was why I specificly bought that intake. Well now my warning light came on and I believe that the car may be running to lean. Should I take the intake off and wait for the warranty to expire and than just go get it tunned? Or does Sanderson Ford (Since they are a performance dealer) tune your car and let you keep the warranty intact? Does any one have any ideas?

93 svt
01-13-08, 10:11 AM
Prob have to buy the parts from sanderson ford. One of the performance packages. Then they prob have to put it on in order to have anything covered under warranty to include a tune

maddme
01-13-08, 05:43 PM
That is what I think also. I am going to call BBK in the morning and also American Muscle to see what they say. I know that Stage Three also sells that same intake I may see what they say also. All in all I am going to keep the air intake and if I have to get a Tune done that is fine I was just thinking that I would wait until the warranty is up, not sure if any one else has had a warranty problem once they performance tune there car? I here that performance solution racing does a good job but what is a good price for just a tune if I already have a cold air intake? And do they do such a simple tune or are they all about race tunes? Sorry I have alot of questions.

93 svt
01-13-08, 06:10 PM
just keep the intake and get a hand held tune. That way if you have to take it in for service you can just put the stock intake back on and put the stock tune back on as well. once the car is fixed just put the bbk back on and get the hand held tune and load that up as well. ford would never know.

maddme
01-13-08, 06:30 PM
Yeah I think your right. Is it much trouble to use the hand held tuner? I have seen many but never used one yet. I will ask the guys at stage three and see what they recommend.

OH3MGSVT
01-13-08, 06:54 PM
I still cant understand why anyone buys those metal intakes, they get so ****ing hot it cant be any good for IAT's my finger about melted to it after i touched one while the car had been running, I'll stick to the PVC/plastic intakes :yes:

maddme
01-13-08, 09:30 PM
Yeah I always wondered why they made these with metal. Very good point.

Justin@VMP
01-14-08, 07:34 AM
The BBK intake requires about 15% more fuel than stock.

There is not really enough time for the air to get hot when flowing through the metal, and once moving they stay pretty cool.

Ethan@S3M
01-14-08, 12:10 PM
I still cant understand why anyone buys those metal intakes, they get so ****ing hot it cant be any good for IAT's my finger about melted to it after i touched one while the car had been running, I'll stick to the PVC/plastic intakes :yes:

Think about it, your motor idleing is sucking air in at about 400fps. If the intake tube is about 16" long the air is in there for less than a 10th of a second. I doubt it will get hot enough in that time to affect anything.

maddme
01-20-08, 07:25 PM
Well I put the stock air intake back on and had Ford reset the idiot light. I will wait until I get some cash and do a Ford Racing intake and Tune from Sanderson. They say that they will warranty it and that sounds good to me. Does any one want to buy the BBK intake from me?? I also have two charger kits that I never used since the air intake was only on my car for 2 weeks. The BBK intake does look great though! Let me know on the post if any one is interested. You can see a picture of it on the member gallery area and click on M for maddme.

Built4speed
04-16-08, 01:37 PM
I put a BBK Cold Air intake on my 07 mustang. American Muscle told me that it did not require a tune in order to work prpoperly. I did not want to tune the car until the warranty was up and that was why I specificly bought that intake. Well now my warning light came on and I believe that the car may be running to lean. Should I take the intake off and wait for the warranty to expire and than just go get it tunned? Or does Sanderson Ford (Since they are a performance dealer) tune your car and let you keep the warranty intact? Does any one have any ideas?

i had the same problem with my '00. i have a K&N and no more than a month of having installed my engine light came on. it turs out that it was the mass air flow sensor that set it off.

maddme
04-16-08, 08:27 PM
Well I have recently sold the BBK CAI and have had the dealer install a FORD RACING CAI and a Pro Cal Racing Tune along with a FR X-PIPE. No problems and all covered under factory warranty. Good luck with yours.:pepper:

Built4speed
04-16-08, 10:01 PM
i actually got mine fixed a while back. i just havent gotten it tuned. i went today to figure out a price and the local mustang shop said they will do it with the diablo tuner for about $400....:bricks:

maddme
04-16-08, 10:14 PM
:hi:That is a normal price, but many people will buy there own tuner (Diablo,XCT) and do it themselves. But for $400 (if they give you the programmer) than that is a good price. I would tell them to put at least three tunes in your programmer. 1. Street 2. Racing 3. NOS just a suggestion, good luck.

landarch05
04-16-08, 10:20 PM
Just tune it yourself. Get a SCT xcal3 from bamachips or and xcal2 from brenspeed and they will load the custom tunes you need. Is your shop giving you the tuner? I dont know much about diablo but SCT seems like the preferred tunner.

Built4speed
04-16-08, 11:09 PM
thanks for the suggestions! :highfive: there is really only one mustang shop in reno. so i dont have much choice unless i want to do it my self and im not too good with electronics. i have a few mods so i dont know if they have to tune them all or not. but the tuner is 400 alone then $90 an hour. and on top of that im trying to save up for a cobra.

maddme
04-17-08, 03:47 PM
I love my car but if I had the chance to get a 03-04 SVT Cobra I would in a heart beat. Good Luck to you.:hyper::yes::redface:

WildBill
04-17-08, 04:04 PM
Justin and Ethan are correct. The air is not in the intake for the heat transfer
to occur.

To the OP
You need to talk with Justin about a tune and a Xcal3. If you get a wideband and with the Xcal3, you can datalog the parameters he needs and send him the logs for him to tweak the tune. Justin is one of the premier tuners in the nation.

Or you can take your car to Devin at Performance Solutions in Phoenix and get the same level of performance.

Either way you'd be VERY happy with your tune!

maddme
04-17-08, 04:49 PM
Justin and Ethan are correct. The air is not in the intake for the heat transfer
to occur.

To the OP
You need to talk with Justin about a tune and a Xcal3. If you get a wideband and with the Xcal3, you can datalog the parameters he needs and send him the logs for him to tweak the tune. Justin is one of the premier tuners in the nation.

Or you can take your car to Devin at Performance Solutions in Phoenix and get the same level of performance.

Either way you'd be VERY happy with your tune!

Wild Bill, I did not know if you were replying to me or to built4speed? But I already have the FRP CAI and tune including X-PIPE. I believe that built4speed lives in Nevada but may be interested in your suggestion. Thank you.:icon_cool:

WildBill
04-17-08, 06:16 PM
Wild Bill, I did not know if you were replying to me or to built4speed? But I already have the FRP CAI and tune including X-PIPE. I believe that built4speed lives in Nevada but may be interested in your suggestion. Thank you.:icon_cool:

Good then..............Just make sure your A/F is ok:highfive:

maddme
04-17-08, 09:14 PM
Good then..............Just make sure your A/F is ok:highfive:

Sorry I am not sure what an A/F is?? :icon_cool:

WildBill
04-17-08, 09:39 PM
Air Fuel Ratio

Sorry I am not sure what an A/F is?? :icon_cool:

maddme
04-17-08, 11:26 PM
Air Fuel Ratio

Well the Ford Dealer installed the Pro Cal Tune and the Ford Racing Intake and X-Pipe. It is all covered by the factory warranty so if they got it wrong for any reason than they would have to fix under warranty. They get your numbers off of your computer and than send them into Ford and a tuner is than programmed and sent to the dealership and installed by a factory Ford or Lincoln Mercury or a authorized Shelby dealership. I am super happy with the results and no fear of any warranty issues at all. By the way I still think that programmers and or Professional Tuners are very good at what they do and it takes along time for these people to gather there knowledge to be able to do what they do. I have alot of respect for these people. I just decided to go with the Ford Racing modifications. Thanks for the advise and good luck to you.:bouncy: