PDA

View Full Version : clutch opinion

dkg
01-31-08, 07:33 PM
I am currently putting down 500rwhp with the stock clutch and have 28000 miles. I am not to sure how long the stock clutch will hold up. I have plans to upgrade the supercharger and putting down 600 rwhp. What clutch should I go with that the ability/durabilty to handle 600rwhp and still feel street friendly but can handle well at the track. I heard talk about Spec 3+ or 3 and Centerforce Dual Friction are these any good. Any expert advise would help. Thank You.

sinspawn7
01-31-08, 08:23 PM
i got a centerforce dual friction clutch and im really happy with it, sure its only been on for a month but so far so good:pepper:

wickedcobra
01-31-08, 09:55 PM
I have about the same power you have now. I have a spec 3+. It was chattery for the first 500 miles but now very nice. It is like a switch, when you let go of the clutch it grabs hard. I like it.

OH3MGSVT
01-31-08, 11:21 PM
another vote for spec 3+

dkg
02-01-08, 04:16 PM
i got a centerforce dual friction clutch and im really happy with it, sure its only been on for a month but so far so good:pepper:
Sinspawn, what made you go with Centerforce, was it quality, durability, performance or price? Should I upgrade my input shaft.

Ruckus46gt
02-01-08, 04:53 PM
what year car. If you have a t45 cj ponly parts sells a nice set up . I loved the clutch is a mixture of mcleod and frpp, its called the tumas clutch

wickedcobra
02-01-08, 11:04 PM
I would do the input shaft. Might as well while your there.

Ethan@S3M
02-11-08, 10:34 PM
Spec 3+ with a whipple, no complaints here.

huben94
05-20-08, 11:33 AM
Hello,

Anyone know a local Ford mechanic that can do a clutch swap for a great price?

Ruben
04 Cobra

chewbaccajones
05-20-08, 11:48 AM
Hello,

Ruben
04 Cobra

Stage 3 has a pretty good shop rate.

El Jefe
05-20-08, 01:24 PM
Hello,

Ruben
04 Cobra
Im sure you could bribe someone here with a couple hundred $$ and some beer/food:pepper:

4Jenna
05-20-08, 01:31 PM
I also ran the Stage 3+ and liked it alot.
I think I could smell it slipping on my last ever 5 spd pass though.

Chris

IMSHAKN
05-20-08, 01:35 PM
Hello,

Ruben
04 Cobra

Do it yourself, it's not that difficult.

BurnTire
05-20-08, 01:48 PM
He doesn't have a garage.

IMSHAKN
05-20-08, 06:24 PM
Right, forgot that we'd need that.

wickedcobra
05-20-08, 10:52 PM
Ive got a spec3+ the first 500 miles are a PIA but hooks well.

About2Bite
05-20-08, 11:24 PM
I just ordered a Zoom ZVT clutch today through Ethan at Stage 3. I will say that I loved the way my CF Dual Friction clutch felt/drove, but it just won't hold the power. If you plan on going twin screw and hitting ~600 rwhp you may want to look into something else. Many have good luck with the Spec 3+ I just wanted to give the Zoom a try since i've heard good things about it, it's a very reasonably priced clutch too. I'd look into a 26 spline input shaft as well, the LDC freeplay kit and a head cooling mod wouldn't be a bad addition either.

Josh

BUSTED
06-05-08, 12:38 AM
I Vote My Mcleod, I Have Run It Over 650 Ftlbs Rear Wheel On A Good Shot Of Juice And Not A Hint Of An Issue After 6 Mo. ( But Get Ready For Some Leg Work).

About2Bite
06-05-08, 01:12 AM
A few have said good things about the McLeod cltuches, their products are usually top notch. I had a guy at AMP performance recommend their twin disc, he said it was only like $650 or $700 which seems really cheep, anyone heard of a twin disc for that little? I don't think they exist, and especially not from McLeod.

jjmatheson
06-05-08, 05:26 PM
The stock clutch is just fine. I have a 150 shot, Full exhaust, throttle body, intake and a 101 octane tune and 12 psi in my 03 cobra. I dump the clutch at 4000 rpm and have 42000 miles on it and no problem. I hate most of these racing clutches that make the car miserable to drive and breaks input shafts. There's no guarantee a 1200 $ clutch will even hold up. Just my opinion.

BUSTED
06-07-08, 09:34 PM
like i said your leg will be tired after 20 miles of driving with the mcloed. but it doesnt slip on a 150 shot out of the gates.....im sure i will blow the tranny before the clutch lets go.

Blownsvt
06-10-08, 06:12 PM
i have the ram street dual 300 series. it is great, lighter than stcok on the pedal and grabs nicely. I am currently runnin 822 ft lbs of rwtq and it has not slipped at all. it is expensive but you get what you pay for.

chewbaccajones
06-16-08, 10:20 AM
I just ordered a Zoom ZVT clutch today through Ethan at Stage 3. I will say that I loved the way my CF Dual Friction clutch felt/drove, but it just won't hold the power. If you plan on going twin screw and hitting ~600 rwhp you may want to look into something else. Many have good luck with the Spec 3+ I just wanted to give the Zoom a try since i've heard good things about it, it's a very reasonably priced clutch too. I'd look into a 26 spline input shaft as well, the LDC freeplay kit and a head cooling mod wouldn't be a bad addition either.

Josh

you get that twin disc put in yet? how's it feel?

About2Bite
06-24-08, 11:46 PM
you get that twin disc put in yet? how's it feel?

Yeah, it's a single disc though. It is Zooms ZVT line of clutches, the stage 3 clutch kit. I like it, the chatter is almost gone. I'm still breaking it in, seems like i've been breaking it in forever, i'm almost there though. It should be broken in by next week. I'm sure it'll hold the power, we will see.

The pedal feel is light, lighter than the Spec 3+ and the Centerforce Dual Friction. The clutch also engages well and is nice on the street, similar to my Dual Friction.

Josh