PDA

View Full Version : 89 Notch Emissions issue

ITLRUN
02-09-08, 02:46 PM
On the back of the air pump, there is a fitting for fresh air intake. My question to this is, Is there anything that connects to that fitting? And the top of the air pump is an elbow fitting that feeds fresh air to the crossover tubes, fresh air tube to the cats. I know there is various tubing inbetween, plus the check valve, diverter valve all with vacuum fittings. My question to this matter is, Is there a way to bypass the tubing that feeds fresh air into the headers, and links to a tube that comes off the back of the heads, basically can I run a hose off the fresh air feed elbow, into the check valve, to the diverter valve, eliminating the fresh air tube that feeds air into the headers, or manifolds, and take it directly to the fresh air tube that comes out of the crossover tube between the cats? Anyone? Mike, ITLRUN.

BurnTire
02-09-08, 04:13 PM
I know when I had a 5.0 they made a kit that totally eliminated the smog pump. It was just a pulley that filled in the hole that was left when the pump was removed.

ITLRUN
02-09-08, 08:59 PM
I know when I had a 5.0 they made a kit that totally eliminated the smog pump. It was just a pulley that filled in the hole that was left when the pump was removed. Appreciate the reply, I know of some kits they have out there. My concern is I have a Magnaflow X pipe with cats, and there is a crossover tube with the fresh air tube coming out facing forward, it's a .75" tube to prevent burnout on the cats. I have most of the parts, but I have to eliminate the part they had on the old stock 5.0's the tubes that went into the manifolds, that came together with the tube that came out of the back side of the heads. It use to be out of the pump, to a check valve, then to a diverter valve, I think when it went to the diverter valve, it split off the bottom side of the valve went to the exhaust tubes in the manifolds and the other side went to the fresh air tube at the cats. If I get a chance I'll downsize the photo or go to Summit Racing.com and look up part no. MPE-93332, and you'll see the tube I'm talking about coming out of that crossover tube between the cats. Thanks, Mike ITLRUN.:pinkthumb:

BurnTire
02-09-08, 09:04 PM
I don't think it would blow out the cats not running the line. I know the line you are talking about on the cross over you would obviously to weld it closed if you choose to eliminate the setup.
My car does not have this old school emissions stuff and my Magnaflows cats are fine.

ITLRUN
02-10-08, 07:29 AM
I don't think it would blow out the cats not running the line. I know the line you are talking about on the cross over you would obviously to weld it closed if you choose to eliminate the setup.
My car does not have this old school emissions stuff and my Magnaflows cats are fine. It's not so much the idea of blowing out the cats, without fresh air being injected into the exhaust, that was those tubes screwed into the manifolds. By injecting fresh air into the exhaust, it would actually help with the combustion of unburnt gasses in the exhaust and prevent the cats from BURNING OUT. Today, everything is done electronically that is why you don't see that crossover tube anymore. I have to eliminate injecting fresh air up stream in the exhaust, and go directly downstream to that crossover tube. There is no place to bolt on the tube that goes between the back of the heads, and my headers aren't set up for the exhaust tubes. The engine, is set up with a Trick Flow Track Heat upper and lower intake, with a one inch phenolic spacer, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, 2.02-1.60 valves, Custom ground solid roller cam, etc. etc. What I am trying to do is where the diverter valve spits the fresh air off, is just let the fresh air go into the atmosphere instead of the exhaust tubes, and go right to the fresh air tube in the crossover. Mike, ITLRUN. I can't wait until August, of this year when the state of Massachusetts eliminates the emissions test for these older cars. ITLRUN:twothumbsup:

ITLRUN
02-10-08, 09:19 PM
It's not so much the idea of blowing out the cats, without fresh air being injected into the exhaust, that was those tubes screwed into the manifolds. By injecting fresh air into the exhaust, it would actually help with the combustion of unburnt gasses in the exhaust and prevent the cats from BURNING OUT. Today, everything is done electronically that is why you don't see that crossover tube anymore. I have to eliminate injecting fresh air up stream in the exhaust, and go directly downstream to that crossover tube. There is no place to bolt on the tube that goes between the back of the heads, and my headers aren't set up for the exhaust tubes. The engine, is set up with a Trick Flow Track Heat upper and lower intake, with a one inch phenolic spacer, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, 2.02-1.60 valves, Custom ground solid roller cam, etc. etc. What I am trying to do is where the diverter valve spits the fresh air off, is just let the fresh air go into the atmosphere instead of the exhaust tubes, and go right to the fresh air tube in the crossover. Mike, ITLRUN. I can't wait until August, of this year when the state of Massachusetts eliminates the emissions test for these older cars. ITLRUN:twothumbsup: I want to run the fresh air set up, it's a matter of passing state vehicle inspection. And what hooks up to the intake tube on the back of the air pump?

BurnTire
02-11-08, 11:27 AM
I want to run the fresh air set up, it's a matter of passing state vehicle inspection. And what hooks up to the intake tube on the back of the air pump?

I am not sure. It has been a long time since I had a 5.0.

Anyone else know?

93mustank
02-11-08, 11:42 AM
Im lost too.... What are trying to do...hook it up different?....

ITLRUN
02-11-08, 06:37 PM
Im lost too.... What are trying to do...hook it up different?.... Yes, have the pump, both fittings off the pump, checkvalve, divertervalve, no tubes to manifolds, or headers, and no place for tube behind heads that hooks to tube that goes into headers. has Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Track Heat Heads, no spot on the back of the heads to put that tube. I need to go from exhaust port on the pump, to the checkvalve, then to divertervalve, and to fresh air tube between cats. I'm trying to find out what comes off the intake side of the pump, the fitting that comes out the back side.

93mustank
02-11-08, 09:41 PM
Think you can pass without all of that.... Just pretend everything is hooked up before you go and let it hang..... let the tubes for behind the heads hang or just bolt them on...

ITLRUN
02-11-08, 11:40 PM
Think you can pass without all of that.... Just pretend everything is hooked up before you go and let it hang..... let the tubes for behind the heads hang or just bolt them on... There's nothing to bolt them to. Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Track Heat Heads, don't have the holes on the back of the heads like regular Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads have. Trick Flow Track Heat upper and lower intake, with 1 inch phenolic spacer, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Track Heat aluminum heads, custom ground solid roller cam, Pro M MAF with cold air kit, calibrated for 30lb. injectors, etc. etc. 3028lbs. with my 205lb. a$$, anymore. You know I can't give away all my secrets, well one more Cervini 4" cowl hood and Cervini deck lid. Mike, ITLRUN:twothumbsup:

Jacostang
02-12-08, 06:50 PM
Ok, reading this I think what your saying is.. Will it pass without the airpump being hooked up and trying to push fresh air into the cats to dilute the mix and fool the sniffer. How tough of a place is it where you get the test done. If it looks heavily modded they might start snooping around abit but I'm not familiar with Mass emisions.

ITLRUN
02-12-08, 08:30 PM
Ok, reading this I think what your saying is.. Will it pass without the airpump being hooked up and trying to push fresh air into the cats to dilute the mix and fool the sniffer. How tough of a place is it where you get the test done. If it looks heavily modded they might start snooping around abit but I'm not familiar with Mass emisions. Pretty much so, and as far as where I go for my sticker, I've known the guy since he was a kid. His father was a friend of mine, may he rest in peace. And as how heavily modded it is, he knows every car I own is heavily modded. In Mass. it's not just the sniffer, it goes on a set of rollers and you have up to six hills to climb and if you can't do it in six they slap a big black rejection sticker on it, then they'll give you up to sixty days to get it fixed. But I think it will pass, a guy I know told me a way to get it complete, he's got six fox bodies so I think we have it down to a science. In August of this year, the state of Mass. is going to exempt OBD1 cars from emissions testing, can't wait. Thanks, Mike ITLRUN.:twothumbsup:

4doorfoxy
02-14-08, 05:24 PM
Haha well when pulling out my tranny to get rebuilt a little bit ago we cut the air tube off going to the exhaust and plugged it. I plan on removing the whole damn pump soon and getting a smaller belt to bypass it but haven't gotten around to it yet.... though I'm registered in TX with no emmissions and even up here in Prescott I wouldn't have to pass emmissions either lol

93mustank
02-14-08, 05:28 PM
I've passed phoenix emissions with out it hooked up. Just made it look like it was all hooked up.

ITLRUN
02-15-08, 08:51 AM
I've passed phoenix emissions with out it hooked up. Just made it look like it was all hooked up. Well come August, I won't have to pass emissions anymore. They're going to do away with testing emissions on OBD1 cars, then it all comes off and a single pulley will take its place. That will be the time when one of those young kids pulls up along side at a traffic light, and says check out the old dude in the notch. That's when I get to have fun and scrape the rear bumper cover on the pavement, and look over at the next light and say smoked your ass, didn't I. ITLRUN:twothumbsup:

93mustank
02-15-08, 02:16 PM
lol....dont get next to me then ....

Dont put an eliminator pully in place of the smog pump. Just run a different belt routing.
If your crazy enough just run no ac and power steering too :)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/econovan/HPIM0024.jpg

ITLRUN
02-15-08, 02:48 PM
lol....dont get next to me then ....

Dont put an eliminator pully in place of the smog pump. Just run a different belt routing.
If your crazy enough just run no ac and power steering too :)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/econovan/HPIM0024.jpg I'm running no A.C. now, all I would have to do is remove the air pump. Any particular reason why you advise not running the air pump eliminator pulley? By the way the belt you have on now looks new, I hate to be the one to tell you this but it's the wrong size. Check the tab on your tensioner, it should be sitting right in the middle. Where it sits now, is telling you it needs to be replaced, it's right against the stop, ITLRUN.:twothumbsup:

ITLRUN
02-15-08, 02:58 PM
Haha well when pulling out my tranny to get rebuilt a little bit ago we cut the air tube off going to the exhaust and plugged it. I plan on removing the whole damn pump soon and getting a smaller belt to bypass it but haven't gotten around to it yet.... though I'm registered in TX with no emmissions and even up here in Prescott I wouldn't have to pass emmissions either lol I like the definition of understeer, oversteer, horsepower,and torque, that's a good one, I'll have to remember that one, ITLRUN.:twothumbsup:

4doorfoxy
02-15-08, 04:03 PM
I like the definition of understeer, oversteer, horsepower,and torque, that's a good one, I'll have to remember that one, ITLRUN.:twothumbsup:
Haha thanks, I thought it was pretty good myself.