PDA

View Full Version : Anyone?

EBBS_03_Cobra
02-16-08, 04:09 PM
Anyone in the Tempe/Phoenix area want to lend a helping hand to teach me how to run a high speed? I detailed a couple of years ago, but never got the chance to learn how to run one. My car is the perfect vehicle for me to learn on. I was going to wait until I got home to Philadelphia over the summer to try and do it, but it's really bothering me lately, and I'm also really bored lately, as well. I'll buy whatever, if needed. I'm just a car guy, who's stuck not being able to do much, because I live in an apartment, and no power/water to the outside.

Thanks for any help!

wickedcobra
02-16-08, 06:25 PM
High Speed what? sorry but Im not getting the question

EBBS_03_Cobra
02-16-08, 08:17 PM
a high speed buffer. For like like polishing a car... My car is full of scratches and dull paint, and a high speed will buff them out.

EBBS_03_Cobra
02-16-08, 08:46 PM
This picture shows how the paint on the driver-side door is really dull and scratched up:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/ebbs_96_cobra/P1000188.jpg

wickedcobra
02-16-08, 09:56 PM
Oh, gotcha. I always thought you just rub it on there...LOL. No help here man, sorry.

FalconGTHO
02-16-08, 10:03 PM
I can help, teach, demonstrate or do. But, coordinating schedules will likley be hard. And to get it ALL done would take a two day weekend.

EBBS_03_Cobra
02-16-08, 11:30 PM
Wicked, haha, it's a bit beyond that stuff you can use by hand. I tried, and it just proved most of it will come off with time and lots of work. I could try to do it all by hand, but I'd probably hate myself, and need some body work done to the car after all the frustration.

Falcon, I appreciate the offer. I am willing to do all the work, just need to be shown how to do it. Time wise, I'm a student with nothing past 1 pm, and since no one I apply to wants to hire me, I have no job. I spend my time going to car shows wishing my car looked half as decent. So yeah, I've got lots of time on my hands, haha.

FalconGTHO
02-17-08, 08:54 PM
What have you done/tried so far?

IMSHAKN
02-17-08, 09:18 PM
I could teach you easily, but I think you should try a unit such as the porter cable first, then step up to a rotary(High speed) buffer if necessary. Always start with the least aggressive method. You can do a LOT of good with a PC and the proper polishes.

EBBS_03_Cobra
02-17-08, 10:08 PM
I'd be fine learning on a Porter-Cable, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. I know you can get them online, but I don't like having things shipped to my apartment, cause I don't think everything comes here.

I haven't tried much, because I know it's beyond anything I can do by hand. I literally think this car needs the most abrasive compound. Okay, maybe not the whole car, but the drivers door has millions of scratches on it. Maybe medium would be the best bet. They start to fade after rubbing scratch remover stuff, so I know it will come out, just need to do a compound.

IMSHAKN
02-17-08, 10:13 PM
I'd be fine learning on a Porter-Cable, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. I know you can get them online, but I don't like having things shipped to my apartment, cause I don't think everything comes here.

I haven't tried much, because I know it's beyond anything I can do by hand. I literally think this car needs the most abrasive compound. Okay, maybe not the whole car, but the drivers door has millions of scratches on it. Maybe medium would be the best bet. They start to fade after rubbing scratch remover stuff, so I know it will come out, just need to do a compound.

Doubtful that hand polishing is doing much good. It's usually just fillers like silicone that mask the issue (I used to have a really good one at the dealership). I have a collection of products from Griots, Meguiar's, and a few others that combined could probably fix that finish pretty well.