PDA

View Full Version : Good AFR for NA motor?

What are you people keeping a NA motor at for AFR? I am used to having a turbo and going with 12.0 to 11.5 but i am wondering if i should be running a leaner AFR with NA. I know 14.1 is like perfect but i want someones input.

wickedcobra
02-26-08, 07:03 AM
Dont know dude..........

93mustank
02-26-08, 01:10 PM
I would say starting from a 13.2 to a 12.5 for n/a.... And forced induction 12.3 to 11.5

I am talking about the rpm range.....

ITLRUN
02-26-08, 02:35 PM
Depending on your mods, you don't want to starve your motor. Are you running stock injectors? What year is your car? OBD1 uses a chip, unless your running a stand alone engine management system, then you can use a flash tuner. Setting your M.A.F. function, is the most critical part of your tune, if that is off your whole tune is off. Do you have use of a dyno, or lap top. One thing to remember, if tuning on a dyno, that's exactly what your doing your tuning your car to that particular dyno. The best way to do it is with a lap top, and have a friend with you it's kind of hard to see what's going on and drive at the same time. But you could start off somewhere around 13.4 - 13.6 at 5,500 RPM. If your running Denso's, or any other plug after you get it to this point, pull a couple of plugs towards the back of the motor, if they have a light tan color your there. The whole thing depends on your mods. And if your not running Denso plugs, yank them all your motor will thank you for it. Good luck, ITLRUN.:twothumbsup:

Yes I have a laptop and stuff ready but I don't have a wideband.

Ruckus46gt
02-26-08, 08:12 PM
12.7-12.9, normally the aim is a straightline 12.9 afr

I dont know how i would street tune with out a wideband unless i just watch for pulled timing. but I was used to having a wideband in my car.

WildBill
02-27-08, 01:46 PM
Depending on your mods, you don't want to starve your motor. Are you running stock injectors? What year is your car? OBD1 uses a chip, unless your running a stand alone engine management system, then you can use a flash tuner. Setting your M.A.F. function, is the most critical part of your tune, if that is off your whole tune is off. Do you have use of a dyno, or lap top. One thing to remember, if tuning on a dyno, that's exactly what your doing your tuning your car to that particular dyno. The best way to do it is with a lap top, and have a friend with you it's kind of hard to see what's going on and drive at the same time. But you could start off somewhere around 13.4 - 13.6 at 5,500 RPM. If your running Denso's, or any other plug after you get it to this point, pull a couple of plugs towards the back of the motor, if they have a light tan color your there. The whole thing depends on your mods. And if your not running Denso plugs, yank them all your motor will thank you for it. Good luck, ITLRUN.:twothumbsup:

DUDE!!!
You are SOOOOOOOO D A M N funny!:laughing::laughing:

The Nunn's
02-27-08, 05:53 PM
DUDE!!!
You are SOOOOOOOO D A M N funny!:laughing::laughing:
..+1

fazm
02-27-08, 08:02 PM
can we do custom user titles? lol

someone is in need of one... :)

why are you laughing at him? should i not listen? I am only experienced with turboed import tuning. I am assuming the tunes on the diablosport are made rich on purpose. i did a 3rd gear run and it does not pull timing at all.

WildBill
02-29-08, 07:44 AM
why are you laughing at him? should i not listen? I am only experienced with turboed import tuning. I am assuming the tunes on the diablosport are made rich on purpose. i did a 3rd gear run and it does not pull timing at all.
I'm sorry man, but it was pretty funny.
Come by the shop, ask for Wild Bill and I'll be more than happy to answer ANY questions you have. That's where I'm building my Turbo 03 Mach1.
Performance Solutions
1434 North 26th Ave.
Phoenix AZ, 85009
(602) 269-8955
Mon-Fri 9:00-6:00

ITLRUN
02-29-08, 09:19 AM
..+1 OK Wild Bill; # 1 What's so damn funny, about my reply to his question about his A.F.R.? #2 If your last name is not DEVINE, where does the Wild Bill name come from? Last time I heard, my cousin was running in the 6's, now that is 2nd2nun. I don't want to set him in the wrong direction, with his A.F.R. I don't use Diablo Sport, I've used SCT for years probably since David started the business. Or was it the Denso's that got you laughing? If your tuning on a dyno, you know as well as I do it's only a close starting point. The only true and proven tune, is on the track. There is a lot more to A.F.R. then meets the eye. I think you know that. The reason I asked about the last name, I have a cousin that runs in NMRA PRO 5.0 Division, Mike Devine ( ITLRUN ).:twothumbsup:

ITLRUN
02-29-08, 09:32 AM
why are you laughing at him? should i not listen? I am only experienced with turboed import tuning. I am assuming the tunes on the diablosport are made rich on purpose. i did a 3rd gear run and it does not pull timing at all. Hey Sesso; If you don't have a wide band, I have a formula here somewhere you can use to get your A.F.R. I'll check my records for it, if I can find it I'll post it for you. As long as you have something to datalog with, you'll be fine. If I can't find it, I'll check with my buddy Dez, from Dez Racing. ITLRUN.:twothumbsup:

WildBill
02-29-08, 10:18 AM
OK Wild Bill; # 1 What's so damn funny, about my reply to his question about his A.F.R.? #2 If your last name is not DEVINE, where does the Wild Bill name come from? Last time I heard, my cousin was running in the 6's, now that is 2nd2nun. I don't want to set him in the wrong direction, with his A.F.R. I don't use Diablo Sport, I've used SCT for years probably since David started the business. Or was it the Denso's that got you laughing? If your tuning on a dyno, you know as well as I do it's only a close starting point. The only true and proven tune, is on the track. There is a lot more to A.F.R. then meets the eye. I think you know that. The reason I asked about the last name, I have a cousin that runs in NMRA PRO 5.0 Division, Mike Devine ( ITLRUN ).:twothumbsup:
I'm sorry Sir. I'm not going to get into a pizzing contest here, but YOU are NOT those people and you said some VERY incorrect things in your post. I've tuned quite a few cars and I'm the only one to tune MY car and she holds a few Mach1 records and will make a few more in the next month or so with the stock computer..........can you say 8s?

BTW........I know Steve Petty!:biglaugh::icon_cool:

Dan
02-29-08, 12:12 PM
simmer down people..... just take the car to a Dyno tune shop they will help you sort it all out

ITLRUN
02-29-08, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry Sir. I'm not going to get into a pizzing contest here, but YOU are NOT those people and you said some VERY incorrect things in your post. I've tuned quite a few cars and I'm the only one to tune MY car and she holds a few Mach1 records and will make a few more in the next month or so with the stock computer..........can you say 8s?

BTW........I know Steve Petty!:biglaugh::icon_cool: I'm not here to get in a pizzing contest either. So who is it you think I'm not. And can I say 8's, sure, said that a long time ago. I'm retired these days, and not by choice. I became disabled, in 1999. After 11 back surgeries, yeah you can say it's permanent. These days if I'm having a good day, I still play with them. I'm trying to get my 89 Notch street legal again, where I'm from their still testing emissions on the OBD-1 cars until August of this year. They couldn't do things right, and stop testing them in January 08. If they did, it would be done now. Weight: 2986/w my 205lb. a$$ in the seat, all forged internals, custom ground solid roller camshaft .620 lift, Trick Flow Track Heat upper and lower intake w/1 inch phenolic spacer, Trick Flow Track Heat Aluminum heads w/1.7 roller rockers by Lunati, and ARP Studs, Accufab 75mm throttle body, Pro-M Mass Air Pro Flow w/Pro-M MAF Meter, calibrated for 30lb. injectors, Complete ARP fasteners, TKO/600 Tremec trans. aluminum driveshaft, Strange 31 spline axles, Auburn Gear Limited Slip, 8.8" rear, Weld Racing 90 series Draglite, 15X5 up front, and 15X10 out back. Just a few bolt-ons, and N/A. ( ITLRUN ) As for my cousin Bill, I haven't spoke to him in years. I hear more about him, through my buddy Mike Dezotel when he's at the track. My track days are all over, I just pulled this one back out, to mess with the kids on the ave. w/their STI's and EVO's, and what ever else their driving these days. Mike D. Oh yeah sorry almost forgot, your right I'm not those people, I'm just one person.