PDA

View Full Version : engine question, what should i do

mk028
03-19-08, 01:28 PM
I own a 2004 cobra and I had my intercooler malfunction during some high speed runs and I damaged my engine. I am going to have to buy a new one. Here is my problem though. I can get a new replacement 4.6L dohc cobra engine and have it installed for around $4,000. I can get a 5.0 Stroker engine and have it installed for around $8,000. So, should I go with the replacement cobra engine and spend the extra $4,000 I have left on a kenne bell supercharger or would I be better off spending all the money on the stroker engine and worry about saving up for a kenne bell later?

AZSonicSnake
03-19-08, 02:09 PM
i would buy the stroker now and save for the kenne bell. i think that would be the ticket. then you don't have to worry about crankin up the boost on that twin screw.

wickedcobra
03-19-08, 02:43 PM
Stroke it...

krazyazian
03-19-08, 02:47 PM
I'm with these guys............stroke it if you got the loot!

Ethan@S3M
03-19-08, 02:53 PM
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/CHP14093/51_Modular_Stroker_Short_Block.html

svtrichie
03-19-08, 03:00 PM
I nice stroked shortblock is the way. Did it hurt any of the top end??

IMSHAKN
03-19-08, 04:17 PM
If you've got the money now, do yourself a favor and build it right. Sure, the stock cobra assembly is a pretty good base, but a well built shortblock would probably be better suited for your needs if you are looking at really upping the boost later on. But hey, that's just me.

chewbaccajones
03-19-08, 08:50 PM
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product/CHP14093/51_Modular_Stroker_Short_Block.html

Problem solved...

BLK03SVT
03-19-08, 09:51 PM
I was in the same position not too long ago....and I stroked it....

that sounds horrible...lol

AZSonicSnake
03-20-08, 01:43 AM
but it felt good right?

hahaha...that wasn't much better...lol....

03cobrazzz
03-20-08, 08:23 AM
but it felt good right?

hahaha...that wasn't much better...lol....horable imagination:laughing1:

wickedcobra
03-20-08, 10:26 AM
but it felt good right?

hahaha...that wasn't much better...lol....

hahahaha, I must be as bad as you. I was thinking the same thing :laughing:

AZSonicSnake
03-20-08, 11:19 AM
great minds think alike. hehe

ITLRUN
03-20-08, 11:35 AM
If you have the money, definetly stroke it. I don't know if you have done anyything yet, if not get in touch with a good friend of mine Dave Cremarosa, from D&D Motorsports. Their address is; D&D Motorsports - 25435 Rye Canyon - Valencia, California 91355. Phone: ( 661-260-2226 ), Ask for Dave, and tell him Mike Devine sent you. He can set you up with a nice short block, with all forged internals, completely balanced and blueprinted, for about $4000.00. I guarantee, you won't be disappointed, Mike D. ( ITLRUN ) Seriously, if you haven't done anything yet, give him a call and he'll give you the complete rundown on the short block, and all your options.:2thumbs:

jjmatheson
03-20-08, 12:08 PM
Thats alot to spend on twenty cubs. Go with a 5.4 if your going to stroke. Spend your money on the KB and the heads. Dont waist your time with that small of a increase. The stock short block is pretty tough especially with better pistons.

mk028
03-20-08, 12:55 PM
I nice stroked shortblock is the way. Did it hurt any of the top end??

No, I am pretty sure the top end is ok.

BLK03SVT
03-21-08, 09:45 AM
Thats alot to spend on twenty cubs. Go with a 5.4 if your going to stroke. Spend your money on the KB and the heads. Dont waist your time with that small of a increase. The stock short block is pretty tough especially with better pistons.

Having done it before, I'd go more with what this guy said. The gains from a stroker are minimal given the $ you'll spend. There are pleanty of guys making gobs of power on the stock shortblock. Now if you plan on going big later, that's a different story.

PM Replied

Indy
03-21-08, 08:58 PM
In order to put a 5.4L DOHC in a Cobra, you'll need to change alot of other parts to make it work. I have done the 5.4 swap and converted it to a DOHC with a single turbo in a 03 Cobra. Trust me stick with the 4.6L block and stroke it, it will cost less, last longer at higher power levels, and you wont have to try to find all the needed parts to make it work. JMHO

BTW - I built the stroker from a CHP short block in BLK03SVT.

ITLRUN
03-22-08, 08:33 AM
Hey Mike; Here's a copy of the email Dave sent me yesterday, on what you should do and specs on his short blocks w/price on everything, Mike D. Thanks for informing your friend about our line of engines, I do appreciate the opportunity to help out, Dave. Comp Hawk 4.6 includes : 1, New Block 2, Forged steel crank 8 bolt 3,Forged steel 4340 H-Beam rods W/ARP rod bolts 4, Forged pistons w/multiple compression 5, Moly rings 6, Clevite bearings 7, ARP main studs 8, Fully Ballanced + Blueprinted, comp assembled and paint detailed 9, $2995.95 + shipping. ( Comp Hawk 5.1 stroker ) 1, Comes w/all of the above, but has a 3.750 stroke and 6.00 rods. $3995.95 + shipping. Both engines will handle up to 1000 hp. The difference is the stroker will make more hp/tq across the board. If you have any questions, just give me a call, Dave. (661-260-2226) Web site: www.dndmotorsports.com (http://www.dndmotorsports.com). Mike D. (ITLRUN). Give him a call Mike, tell him that your the guy I told him about. Let me know what you think later, after you talk to him, Mike. You can call me if you want, to let me know what you deside. (508-672-8562):2thumbs:

wickd03
04-03-08, 11:33 AM
oh please if you do anything DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT!!! get ANYTHING from D&D.. Took 4 months to get 3 K-members. Finally went to cali to go Look for this guy. Wasn't returning our phone calls. Made some phone calls to some friends in the industry that lived worked close to him. Well then we find out he does this all out of the back of his house. After we get back from cali he finally decides to call back. And now he has no more k-members. We ended up waiting another 3 weeks. Finally got them. And we still paid full price. talk about customer service! HAHAHA
P.s. If you don't believe me.. Dan can vouch as well. Because it was me and Dan that went down there. And we actually ended up picking a Different K-member while we were down there.

ITLRUN
04-03-08, 12:20 PM
I don't know about the experience that you had with him, but I have never had any problems with Dave. And Dave builds some awesome motors, Mike D.

El Jefe
04-03-08, 01:19 PM
intercooler malfunction blew your motor???

mk028
04-03-08, 02:56 PM
intercooler malfunction blew your motor???

Thats what I was told by my installer at SVC motorsports where I was getting all my work done. I had made about 2 or 3 high speed passes around 140mph each lasting about 10 seconds and then my engine went to shit. I took it straight to him and when he opened my hood he said "notice how you intercooler isnt bubbling" he said while I was making those runs my intercooler was not running causing my to fry a cylinder. He messed with the intercooler for about 5 min and it started working again. I am a moron when it comes to motors and mechanics though. SO he could have told me a little leperchan came out and broke my motor and I would not know any better. I am going to take my car to PSR and let them take a look at it

AZSonicSnake
04-03-08, 06:44 PM
if it got an air pocket on one side of the h/e pump i could believe that, i have had it happen, but found it before making any runs...

wickd03
04-05-08, 08:09 PM
lol.. SVC nice!!

wickd03
04-05-08, 08:16 PM
I don't know about the experience that you had with him, but I have never had any problems with Dave. And Dave builds some awesome motors, Mike D.
Trust me I'm in the customer service industry I know how these things work. So I am very understanding. But, there's a point when its too much. Your customer is everything. Yes, some customers are more needy then other. Sometimes you want to kill them because there morons but still its your responsibility to make them happy. And like statistics show for every 1 disappointed customer they will tell 10 people. And every customer you satisfy they'll tell 3 people. And honestly I've told a lot more then 10 people about D&D. Plus there are people in town that build nice motors. Why would you want to have something built out of town? That way if you do have problems with it, you know physically where there at!!
(thats just my 2 cents)

ITLRUN
04-06-08, 08:01 AM
Trust me I'm in the customer service industry I know how these things work. So I am very understanding. But, there's a point when its too much. Your customer is everything. Yes, some customers are more needy then other. Sometimes you want to kill them because there morons but still its your responsibility to make them happy. And like statistics show for every 1 disappointed customer they will tell 10 people. And every customer you satisfy they'll tell 3 people. And honestly I've told a lot more then 10 people about D&D. Plus there are people in town that build nice motors. Why would you want to have something built out of town? That way if you do have problems with it, you know physically where there at!!
(thats just my 2 cents) Well put, but not every customer has the same experience. I ran my own trucking company, for 17 years so I know what it's like to deal with people and I know how to deal with bad customer service. You know, the one's that make empty promises. Rule of thumb, if you want something done right never pay the man too much money to get a project started, sure every company is going to ask for a deposit to get started. But if a company is well established, he should have all parts in stock, and never pay him in full until your completely satisified. I know Dave gets jammed up from time to time, it just depends on how far we're into the race season. If you don't trust him, don't do business with him, enough said. If your looking for a particular short block, long block, or engine make sure he has it in stock. If you don't know much about engines, make sure you bring someone with you that does before laying out your hard earned cash. And check his background, see if he is a member of the Better Business Bureau, check to see if there has been any complaints filed against him before doing business, Mike D.

BLK03SVT
04-06-08, 10:41 AM
Well put, but not every customer has the same experience. I ran my own trucking company, for 17 years so I know what it's like to deal with people and I know how to deal with bad customer service. You know, the one's that make empty promises. Rule of thumb, if you want something done right never pay the man too much money to get a project started, sure every company is going to ask for a deposit to get started. But if a company is well established, he should have all parts in stock, and never pay him in full until your completely satisified. I know Dave gets jammed up from time to time, it just depends on how far we're into the race season. If you don't trust him, don't do business with him, enough said. If your looking for a particular short block, long block, or engine make sure he has it in stock. If you don't know much about engines, make sure you bring someone with you that does before laying out your hard earned cash. And check his background, see if he is a member of the Better Business Bureau, check to see if there has been any complaints filed against him before doing business, Mike D.

Props to you Mike, as I think your opinion is spot on. I was expecting the typical shop bashing/shop defending thread here, and for the first time in quite a while someone has actually given their opinion of a shop, provided good advice (edit- not just a shop "fan"), and left it open for the customer to decide.

ITLRUN
04-06-08, 04:21 PM
Hey I'm a straight up guy, if I can help someone I will, If I can't I won't. I know Dave personally, everyone has their own opinion. I'm not going to get in the middle of any deals between two people, friends or not. I think I gave the best advice, I could. If you have any doubts about someone, check him out ask around your going to get positive and negative opinions on any person you inquire about, I don't care who it is, Mike D.