PDA

View Full Version : S197 and 3:73 gears

maddme
03-19-08, 04:36 PM
I posted this question on another thread but maybe several had already been there and I wanted to post a new post so that I can get some good feed back. Which by the way I always get great feedback here.

Here is the question: I have a 2007 Mustang GT and an auto car. My car came stock with 3:31 gears but I was thinking of also going to 3:73. The dealer will do it and give a 1 year 12k warranty.
Does any one have any feed back on
1. s197 auto 3:73 gear change and
2. Having the dealer do it?:laughing1:

CDW63
03-19-08, 06:00 PM
What does the Ford dealer want ($) to put 3.73's in your car? Just curious, because I am, going down the same path soon.

maddme
03-19-08, 06:38 PM
They want around $650.00 installed and that was the FRPP gears. Ford Racing. If I had the 3:55 I may not even do it, but I have 3:31 and I am considering it. Does anyone know how much fuel MPG I would lose?

Casey39er
03-19-08, 07:43 PM
I have had my 3.73 gears installed for about two years now, (one year before the super charger) and it made the car feel much more responsive off the line. Also at highway speed in 5th it is easier to get around traffic without having the transmission downshifting.

I calculated that at 80 Mph engine RPM was about 220 higher. I did not notice any significant loss in mileage.

I have no regrets on the change out. I would only use Ford Racing Gears and have Shane at PSR do the work. (he did mine) :pinkthumb:

I have run many hard runs at the track and taken a few road trips and have never heard a whine or had a problem from the rear end.

maddme
03-19-08, 09:04 PM
That was a perfect response to my question exactly what I was wondering and from someone that has done it before. Thank you!:laughing1:

LSlayer
03-19-08, 11:12 PM
Do It!!!!

ITLRUN
06-10-08, 05:41 PM
The only significant change in fuel economy, is how heavy your right foot is. You won't see no real drastic changes, Mike D. ( ITLRUN ).

fazm
06-10-08, 08:13 PM
650 installed (parts fluid and labor) from a dealer is pretty good actually.

i had 3.73s in mine before i shattered the rear, now im back at 3.31s and couldnt be happier (n/a on 3.73s, turbo on 3.31s which is why i like em)

maddme
06-14-08, 12:30 PM
Well,
That was 3 months ago that I was considering the gear option. Now with a change in work (less money) gas prices being higher and other economical considerations; I have no desire to spend any un-needed money on the car at this time. I will wait for a long while before I do any thing to her. Although I want to thank every one for the value added opinions; I will take into consideration when that time comes.:icon_cool::icon_cool:

ITLRUN
06-14-08, 08:59 PM
Well put, can't say that I blame you. We'll all have to wait, to see what happens after G.W. is gone for good and how much he f--ks-up until then,Mike D. ( ITLRUN )