PDA

View Full Version : do you think i will see high 10's in my future

mk028
03-20-08, 12:09 PM
I currently have a 04 cobra with catback exhaust, cai, sct tuner with a 100 octane tune and a 91 octane tune, pulleys, stage IV port by stieg., and 315dr's, with that set up I am putting down 535rwhp on 100 octane. I injured my engine and am going to replace it with a 5.0L stroker, with that combo with a stroker does anyone think I will have enough to get into the high 10's or will I still fall short?

4Jenna
03-20-08, 12:17 PM
What suspension?

MT DR's or Nittos?

mk028
03-20-08, 12:40 PM
What suspension?

MT DR's or Nittos?

stock suspension with Nitto DR's

AZSonicSnake
03-20-08, 12:53 PM
gonna take some good driving and a pair of slicks imo...

TorchedMach1
03-20-08, 01:43 PM
Yeah I don't see ya making it there on the Nitto's, but some slicks and skinnies with good driving will put you right there.

CDW63
03-20-08, 03:26 PM
How did you injure your engine?

The Nunn's
03-21-08, 12:23 AM
Ya it would def take some slicks, the driver mod, and suspension. That HP seems a lil high for that particular combo, I take it ur running 16 lbs of boost. Do u have cams? The only real benefit I've seen with the 5.0 stroker is the added torque. A ported eaton really won't do that motor justice. It would need something more like a Kenne or a Whipple, for example, to give that stroker what it needs.

mk028
03-22-08, 10:54 AM
I am running 15 lbs of boost, the hp is an estimate off a SVC motorsports mustang dyno. I am making 440hp on there dyno and they told me to add 15%-20% to get the equiv on a dynojet so I guess 440+88=528hp. Obviously, I used the high end of the estimate, I mean who here would their car the lower hp estimate :) You are right, I probally make more like 505rwhp which would be the 15% estimate but 530 just sounds so much better:spank:

Ya it would def take some slicks, the driver mod, and suspension. That HP seems a lil high for that particular combo, I take it ur running 16 lbs of boost. Do u have cams? The only real benefit I've seen with the 5.0 stroker is the added torque. A ported eaton really won't do that motor justice. It would need something more like a Kenne or a Whipple, for example, to give that stroker what it needs.

mk028
03-22-08, 11:01 AM
According to where I get my work done, while I was making some high speed passes my intercooler malfunctioned causing my to cook a valve or cylinder , I honestly dont remember which they said. I do not know a lot about engines or general auto mechanics. I can still drive it but it is drawing oil into my air intake and it is comming out of my cold air intake filter. Also, after I have been driving, if I take the oil cap off, the hot air kind of puffs out of there. I dont know if this makes sense to anyone or not. He said I can still drive it, just I wont be making much power and I should not get on it at all.

How did you injure your engine?

BLK03SVT
03-22-08, 11:40 AM
I want to know how an intercooler malfunctions.....

High speed runs can kill a cobra motor.

AZSonicSnake
03-22-08, 12:02 PM
the only thing that comes to mind is if he got an air pocket and it quit cycling the water. mine has done this once before...but i caught it before driving my car...

BurnTire
03-22-08, 12:51 PM
The only issue I can see is the pump died, but the tune should pull timing when it sees the high IAT2.

The Nunn's
03-23-08, 01:46 AM
More then likely, the pump failed. A GOOD tuner would make it pull a lil more timing than the stock table is set for... If the tuner doesn't do this, it would only take a couple of hard runs to fry the #7 or 8 cylinder completely. I've seen it first hand on a customer's car that melted a piston.

OH3MGSVT
03-23-08, 02:51 AM
More then likely, the pump failed. A GOOD tuner would make it pull a lil more timing than the stock table is set for... If the tuner doesn't do this, it would only take a couple of hard runs to fry the #7 or 8 cylinder completely. I've seen it first hand on a customer's car that melted a piston.

Would that be Wayne?

ITLRUN
03-23-08, 07:43 AM
Hey Mike; Yeah, it sounds like the pump sh_t the bed on you. If you deside to go with either short block, I sent you the specs for, I would definetly replace the pump. I woud hate to see you damage either one of Dave's comp Hawk short blocks. With a Kenne Bell or Whipple, the 5.1 stroker, a good tune, running a good set of slicks, and 19-21lbs. of boost will definetly put you in the 10's with ease, Mike. Did you get the copy of the email, I got from Dave w/the specs on the two Comp Hawk short blocks?

mk028
03-24-08, 10:21 AM
the only thing that comes to mind is if he got an air pocket and it quit cycling the water. mine has done this once before...but i caught it before driving my car...

YES!! Thats exactly what he said. I am glad you brought that up. :bowdown: I went straight to the shop after I injured my engine and when he opened the hood he showed my my intercooler and said "notice how the water is not bubbling" and he said that he had seen this before and this is what caused the damage.

mk028
03-24-08, 10:23 AM
Hey Mike; Yeah, it sounds like the pump sh_t the bed on you. If you deside to go with either short block, I sent you the specs for, I would definetly replace the pump. I woud hate to see you damage either one of Dave's comp Hawk short blocks. With a Kenne Bell or Whipple, the 5.1 stroker, a good tune, running a good set of slicks, and 19-21lbs. of boost will definetly put you in the 10's with ease, Mike. Did you get the copy of the email, I got from Dave w/the specs on the two Comp Hawk short blocks?

Yes, thank you very much! I plan on giving him a call on either this Wednesday or Thursday.
:highfive:

mk028
03-24-08, 10:28 AM

Ya, I only made 2 or 3 high speed passes and I didnt maintain the high speed for more then a couple of seconds. I have a SCT tuner, the one that has a switch that allows you to run up to 7 different tunes. Is this a good tuner or would you have reccomended something else?

BurnTire
03-24-08, 11:47 AM
YES!! Thats exactly what he said. I am glad you brought that up. :bowdown: I went straight to the shop after I injured my engine and when he opened the hood he showed my my intercooler and said "notice how the water is not bubbling" and he said that he had seen this before and this is what caused the damage.

The only way to get an air pocket that I can see is during the filling process. If the system is not checked for proper flow when the fluid is added it is the installers fault. If the coolant tank is at the proper level I can not see a way to get an air pocket unless you drive the car upside down.

ITLRUN
03-24-08, 06:17 PM
Ya, I only made 2 or 3 high speed passes and I didnt maintain the high speed for more then a couple of seconds. I have a SCT tuner, the one that has a switch that allows you to run up to 7 different tunes. Is this a good tuner or would you have reccomended something else? Is this tuner that you mention, a chip with a cable coming off with a dial that has different positions you can flip between? Or is it a programmer, that plugs into your ALDL port under the dash? If it is a chip, 1 or 2 positions on that dial are for disableing your car and nothing else.

mk028
03-25-08, 12:42 PM
Is this tuner that you mention, a chip with a cable coming off with a dial that has different positions you can flip between? Or is it a programmer, that plugs into your ALDL port under the dash? If it is a chip, 1 or 2 positions on that dial are for disableing your car and nothing else.

Its a chip with a cable coming off that has different positions I can flip between. Right now the "0" position is pump gas and the "1" position is for when I add 1 can of torco to a full tank of 91 octane which gives me close to 100 octane. The "6" position is to disable my car. "2", "3", "4" and "5" are unassigned, I dont know if there is another kill switch in any of those or not. So I take it that means I have a chip and not a programmer. I have been saying I have a SCT tuner, does the word "tuner" mean the same thing as "chip" or does it mean something else? Is a programer better then a chip?:dontgetit::imsorry:

BurnTire
03-25-08, 02:04 PM
A 32oz can of toroc to a full tank will not give you 100 octane. More like 94.

Tuner is used to flash the cars computer. Sort of like adding data to a hard drive.

A Chip plugs into the cars computer port.

They both accomplish the same things using different methods.

Gene
03-25-08, 09:34 PM
My boss's pump shit the bed on him as well. I'm starting to see a lot of these things go as of late.

BurnTire
03-25-08, 10:10 PM
My boss's pump shit the bed on him as well. I'm starting to see a lot of these things go as of late.

Whats up with the dude punching the chick in your sig?

Do you wear a tank top all the time :biglaugh:

The Nunn's
03-25-08, 10:28 PM
A 32oz can of toroc to a full tank will not give you 100 octane. More like 94.

bad benttire... i thought u were better at math than that. more like 97.875 assumingu start off with 91 octane.

the formula would assume that 1 can of torco would make 10 gallons of 93 octane raise to 104 octane. Assuming that a mustang tank is 16 gallons, that 1 can would raise the gas 6.875 octane points. making a 91 octane 97.875.

Or else if u wanna be more correct the 03/04 cobras have a capacity of 15.70 gallons, raising the gas approximately 7.01 octane. He would get about 98.007 octane starting at 91. :laughing:srry i like math....

BurnTire
03-25-08, 10:57 PM
bad benttire... i thought u were better at math than that. more like 97.875 assumingu start off with 91 octane.

the formula would assume that 1 can of torco would make 10 gallons of 93 octane raise to 104 octane. Assuming that a mustang tank is 16 gallons, that 1 can would raise the gas 6.875 octane points. making a 91 octane 97.875.

Or else if u wanna be more correct the 03/04 cobras have a capacity of 15.70 gallons, raising the gas approximately 7.01 octane. He would get about 98.007 octane starting at 91. :laughing:srry i like math....

Advanced Calculus and Aerodynamics are the highest I have taken with a poor result of A and A. What is your math education resume?:biglaugh:

Back to the subject

Here is a test on 10 gallons of 91 octane = 96.5
http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686&highlight=torco

KB and RWTD have done paid lab testing on the product and you can research it all on Modular Fords. The max that they got out of torco regardless of concentration is 101.

I know what the torco site advertises, but real lab testing from a 3rd party yields different results.

mk028
03-27-08, 11:20 AM

Ya, I actually called Torco when I first started using there product just to make sure I was doing everything correctly and when they figured it out they said I would be making right about 98 octane with one full can added to a full tank of fuel.

BurnTire
03-27-08, 11:31 AM
Ya, I actually called Torco when I first started using there product just to make sure I was doing everything correctly and when they figured it out they said I would be making right about 98 octane with one full can added to a full tank of fuel.

They can claim all they want, but the lab tests by a 3rd party don't lie. 91 octane full tank with a 32oz can of torco is no where near 98 octane.
http://www.highperformancestangs.com...2&postcount=13 (http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16312&postcount=13)
A full can with 10 gallons only nets 96.5.

mk028
03-27-08, 11:14 PM
They can claim all they want, but the lab tests by a 3rd party don't lie. 91 octane full tank with a 32oz can of torco is no where near 98 octane.
http://www.highperformancestangs.com...2&postcount=13 (http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16312&postcount=13)
A full can with 10 gallons only nets 96.5.

I left a post here but edited it cause It was pointless

BurnTire
03-28-08, 10:22 AM
I left a post here but edited it cause It was pointless

It is not pointless. If you are running a 100 octane tune on a full tank of gas with 32oz of torco you are looking for trouble.

It is about correcting the mis information about the product that resides on the internet.

Are you so sure that your problem didn't occur from having inadequate octane for timing?

mk028
03-29-08, 09:59 AM
It is not pointless. If you are running a 100 octane tune on a full tank of gas with 32oz of torco you are looking for trouble.

It is about correcting the mis information about the product that resides on the internet.

Are you so sure that your problem didn't occur from having inadequate octane for timing?

I was not saying the subject was pointless, I was saying the comment I had made and then deleted was a pointless comment, thats why I deleted it. I dont know enough about cars to know what caused the problem, I only am going off what I was told by Rob at SVC. I am going to be taking my car to PSR soon though and I am hoping they can provide me with more insight.

BurnTire
03-29-08, 05:39 PM
I was not saying the subject was pointless, I was saying the comment I had made and then deleted was a pointless comment, thats why I deleted it. I dont know enough about cars to know what caused the problem, I only am going off what I was told by Rob at SVC. I am going to be taking my car to PSR soon though and I am hoping they can provide me with more insight.

I am not giving you a hard time. I just want to make sure have all the information about toroc.:veryhappy:

mk028
03-29-08, 08:36 PM
I am not giving you a hard time. I just want to make
sure have all the information about toroc.:veryhappy:

Thanks, I appreciate all the info I can get.:woot2::highfive:

stangboy86
04-27-08, 04:26 PM
has anyone done a compression test??? thats usually the first place i look when stuffs coming out of a running engine.