PDA

View Full Version : Engine question #2

mk028
03-20-08, 12:30 PM
Just by reading the posts to my first question it seems the obvious answer is to go with the stroker engine, my other question would be that someone mentioned going with a 5.4L instead of a 5.0L. Also, a site I was linked to had a 5.1L stroker. I dont know very much about stroker engines and the real advantages of more displacement. Should I go with a 5.4L instead of a 5.0 or 5.1L and is the cost going to be more the $800 to $1000 more to go with a 5.4L because if so, I dont want to spend that much money. Its killing me just to save up for the 5.0L

BurnTire
03-20-08, 08:18 PM
I personally would always take more cubic inch's, but it is up to your budget.

Indy
03-21-08, 01:13 AM
Your engine choice should depend on your goals for your car, just don't try to go cheap because you will end up regretting it.

Ruckus46gt
03-21-08, 08:03 AM
5.4 probley probely will mean a cowl hood also not sure. Might be fine with a heaton but with a kb or whipple def should hit

IMSHAKN
03-21-08, 02:18 PM
A 5.4 whipple would be insane... anyone want to donate money or start playing the lotto? :Bucktooth:

mk028
03-22-08, 11:14 AM
Your engine choice should depend on your goals for your car, just don't try to go cheap because you will end up regretting it.

I want to make 600-700rwhp (I want to run in the 10's), use my car as a every day driving car, and not have to worry about having something break under my hood every 5000 miles. Is this an unrealistic goal? I have always read that you can use the 03/04 cobras with 600rwhp as an everyday driving car if you were not getting on it all the time. Is this not really the case? I am thinking for my needs, there is no reason for me to go with the 5.4L but the only reason I thought it might help me out is that with more displacement I can run less boost, thus having less mechanical problems. I do not have a lot of knowlege when it comes to general mechanics of cars though, that is why I am asking all the questions I have been.

BurnTire
03-22-08, 12:48 PM
I want to make 600-700rwhp (I want to run in the 10's), use my car as a every day driving car, and not have to worry about having something break under my hood every 5000 miles. Is this an unrealistic goal? I have always read that you can use the 03/04 cobras with 600rwhp as an everyday driving car if you were not getting on it all the time. Is this not really the case? I am thinking for my needs, there is no reason for me to go with the 5.4L but the only reason I thought it might help me out is that with more displacement I can run less boost, thus having less mechanical problems. I do not have a lot of knowlege when it comes to general mechanics of cars though, that is why I am asking all the questions I have been.

I have a stock motor and a whipple with 19PSI.
I ran 10.88 on the IRS
and 10.62 on the Solid Axle.

I know I will probably improve to the lower 10's on the next trip to the track.

So yes you can go 10's and also be street safe with a 4.6

AZSonicSnake
03-22-08, 12:55 PM
i don't even think you have to have 600rwhp to tag the 10's. i am right on the door and make about 520rwhp on race gas.

mk028
03-24-08, 10:15 AM
I have a stock motor and a whipple with 19PSI.
I ran 10.88 on the IRS
and 10.62 on the Solid Axle.

I know I will probably improve to the lower 10's on the next trip to the track.

So yes you can go 10's and also be street safe with a 4.6

See, thats perfect. Thats right where I want to be. I would like to keep my IRS and if I could run 10.88 I would be absolutely thrilled. I dont know if I can change the subject or not, or if I have to post another thread, but I was wondering what made you choose whipple over kenne bell and are you happy with that choice or do you wish you had a kb now?

BurnTire
03-24-08, 07:25 PM
See, thats perfect. Thats right where I want to be. I would like to keep my IRS and if I could run 10.88 I would be absolutely thrilled. I dont know if I can change the subject or not, or if I have to post another thread, but I was wondering what made you choose whipple over kenne bell and are you happy with that choice or do you wish you had a kb now?

Whipple Rules. LOL

KB is louder are a little harder install, but they both accomplish the same thing.