PDA

View Full Version : What steering?

txbkr
03-21-08, 09:41 PM
So, I was told by the owner that all it needs is an alignment. I believed him. DUMB, I know. So, I get the car aligned using Steeda camber caster plates. However, the car still violently goes off course when it hits a different groove than the one it is riding on. I'll be on the middle of the road and a different layer of pavement splits the road in half and the car will slip into the groove that catches one of its wheels. On straight and level roads it drives fine and smooth until...Any words of wisdom. Thanks...P

svtrichie
03-21-08, 10:24 PM
What kind and how wide are the front tires?? Also check the angle of the tierods. Is the car lowered? Does is have an aftermarket bumpsteer kit on it??

IMSHAKN
03-21-08, 10:56 PM
:iagree: It sounds as if you may be having an issue with bump steer. As he asked, is it lowered?

txbkr
03-21-08, 11:21 PM
It has FRPP M-5300-C springs, KYB adujstable struts and shocks, Eibach sway bars front & rear, front tires are Khumos 255/35/18. No aftermarket bumpsteer kit. I took it to Firestone where the technician aligned it without any issues. Thanks for the help.

IMSHAKN
03-21-08, 11:38 PM
By the sounds of it, I'm almost willing to bet that a bump steer kit form MM will fix your troubles.

txbkr
03-22-08, 12:18 AM
I hope you are right. I like this LX and want to put more money into it but in other parts. I don't feel like spending my entire budget in front suspension and steering equipment.

IMSHAKN
03-22-08, 12:31 AM
I've been in a couple mustangs that are pretty unpredictable on all but the smoothest roads and I was surprised what a bump steer kit did to one of their mustangs. The others just learned to deal with it. It could be something else because I don't know of many people with C-springs who complain about their car needing the bump steer kit, but what you are experiencing sounds as if that may be what the car wants. Hopefully some others will voice their thoughts on this because I hate to have to drive a car that is pretty unpredictable.

svtrichie
03-22-08, 07:01 AM
A bumpsteer kit will help but I would be willing to say that the tires being so wide in the front wants to grab the road crown or grooves in the road. My personal car is lowered, no bumpsteer kit and 245's up front and drives pretty normal. Maybe you can swap front wheels from a friends stang just to eliminate that.

txbkr
03-22-08, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the input. One of these days I'll have to buy ya'll a beer after a day of racing. If I had my left arm I would not complain about the steering problem. Unfortunately, it's paralyzed and I refuse to let my handicap dictate how much fun I can have. So, I think I'll do all of it, F it. Do the tie rods, bump steer and in a few miles change to 245's. I should have all but the tires done by Friday. I'll post the results. Thanks again...P

svtrichie
03-22-08, 04:51 PM
The bump steer kit would be the first thing and as for the tires, I would see first in you could switch front tires/wheels with someone that has more stock size/width since they were only 225.

txbkr
03-22-08, 06:20 PM
225's??? That will take away from the braking and the cornering performance. But I'll do the bump steer for sure.

svtrichie
03-22-08, 08:31 PM
What I meant was that the original size was a 225/55/16, now with you 18" wheels, I don't think that going from what you have to a 245/40/18 will make a bid difference.

txbkr
03-22-08, 09:34 PM
Funny you say that 'cause I was thinking of going down to 17's. They'll fit better and are cheaper.

Jacostang
03-23-08, 11:22 AM
Bump Steer Kit for any lowered Fox IMO, I went to 18's and the car was so crazy I went back to my 17's and stayed there. Also you will find if you really tighen up it will drive so much better. Don't know if you have done subs and shock tower bracing but Foxes need all the help they can get and Maximum motorsports sells the best shock tower brace!

Torchmach
03-23-08, 11:55 AM
Bump Steer Kit for any lowered Fox IMO, Don't know if you have done subs and shock tower bracing but Foxes need all the help they can get and Maximum motorsports sells the best shock tower brace!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........
I have the Ford Racing M-5300-B springs on my 88' GT that lower the front by 7/8" and back by 1/2" with stock rates (They get rid of the "4XFord" wheelwell look). The Car has a nasty jerk to the right, when changing lanes to the left, on road surfaces that have a lot of drainage camber.

Sounds like I should invest in a bumpsteer kit, subframe connectors, and shocktower brace. Any potental issues with clearance if I should go to an aftermarket intake manifold (thinking about the Edelbrock Performer) in the future?

Have to agree with you on Maximum Motorsports parts. I have installed their subframe connectors, and lower control arms on my Mach 1, and will be back for more of their parts on that Car. The Fox chassis has a lot of flex in it (particularly hatchbacks), but my doors still pass the two finger open and close test.

txbkr
03-23-08, 09:14 PM
Damn! That's one helluva shopping list I've got. Strut tower brace, sub frame connectors, tie rods, bump steer...is that it? Oh yeah, 17's. I'm glad ya'll are putting in all this help, I appreciate it. I just wasn't ready for such a production. OH well, the price I must pay to have the baddest around.

Which SC do ya'll recommend?

Jacostang
03-24-08, 09:48 AM
It's not really that much except for the wheels. Just look at Maximum Motorsports and check out Stage3 for deals..

txbkr
03-26-08, 11:20 PM
Rack & pinion and the tie rods are the culpable parties. Thanks for the advice. I will be making most of the changes that were brought up mainly because it is a good idea. I should get it back Monday. Can't wait to get it and terrorize the streets. Not really but I'll at least speed down I-10. C' ya...P

svtrichie
03-26-08, 11:25 PM
That is great that hopefully your problems will end. I would have though that whoever aligned your car earlier with the caster/camber plates would have caught the tie rod/steering rack problem. If you can, leave the 18" wheels/tires. So lets see some pics of your ride.

txbkr
03-29-08, 12:05 AM
So, I got it back and it drives the same. Next week, I'll be getting 17's and try to get to the bottom of this problem. What else can it be? Another thing is that the steering wheel feels lose. It's on properly, we checked. But there seems to be "play" with it. I can jiggle it left & right a few inches (1 or 2) and not make the car turn. This does not occur with my friends '87 and '93. Maybe that lil' bit will help the mechanical sleuths. Thanks...P

Stern90LX
04-02-08, 02:27 AM
Eh.. that reminds me, I still haven't reinstalled my shock tower brace from when I took it out last sept for my top end rebuild.

txbkr
04-09-08, 05:43 PM
I got the 17's. Iwent from a 255/35/18 in the front to a 245/45/17 and the problem is fixed!!! I guess the width of the tire was it although a 245 is not that much smaller.

Thanks for y'alls help trying to figure this out....P

Stern90LX
04-11-08, 12:10 AM
... Another thing is that the steering wheel feels lose. It's on properly, we checked. But there seems to be "play" with it. I can jiggle it left & right a few inches (1 or 2) and not make the car turn. This does not occur with my friends '87 and '93. Maybe that lil' bit will help the mechanical sleuths. Thanks...P

1 of 2 things is usually the cause "play" in Fox steering.
#1) Worn Rack bushings.
#2) Worn gears in the Rack.

#1 is the most common, they're a soft rubber to begin with. They do wear out over time and the environment the car has been driven in effects how fast they deteriorate. Pretty easy to check the bushing for wear, you'll need a helper to turn the steering wheel back and forth as you watch the rack from underneath. If you notice it moves side to side by quite a bit then the bushings that mount it to the K-Member are shot.

rdrumm
04-11-08, 08:43 AM
Bump Steer
Definition: The tendency of a vehicle to suddenly veer or swerve to one side when hitting a bump or dip in the road. The condition is caused by uneven toe changes that occur as a result of the steering linkage or rack not being parallel with the road surface. This causes the wheels to change toe unevenly as the suspension undergoes jounce and rebound.

Jacostang
04-13-08, 11:29 AM
Great!! Good info there too!