PDA

View Full Version : Detailed the '88, pics inside (56K, go make a sandwich)

1tuff68
04-30-08, 12:46 PM
So I've been interested in detailing lately...well, not just detailing but 'paint correction'. It's always bothered me that my cars have swirl marks in the sun even though I take great care on how I wash and dry them, dust them, etc.

I bought a Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher, some Meguiar's foam pads and #83, #80, and #7 polishes. I ran tape down the center of the hood and only worked the driver's side to provide a good contrast between "before and after." Here are the results:

You can clearly see the swirling and holograms on the left side of the hood:
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/50-50.jpg

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/50-50_2_.jpg

Close up of the swirling and holograms before:
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/swirls1.jpg

After:
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/after19.jpg

For those interested, here is my process:

1. Wash with Meguiar's Gold Class car wash
2. Clay with Meguair's clay kit. Necessary to remove bonded surface contamination before polishing
3. Meguiar's #83 dual action cleaner polish on W8006 foam pad at speed 5 (2 passes)
4. Meguiar's #80 speed glaze on W8006 foam pad at speed 5 (1 pass)
5. Meguiar's #7 show car glaze on W9006 foam pad at speed 5 (1 pass)
6. Meguiar's Nxt wax

Thanks for looking :D

wolfwrangler
04-30-08, 01:00 PM
Thanks for posting, it looks great, and it's a bit of coincidence since I was just now going to log off, and search how to do that! You can clearly see a difference in your before/after pictures. It must look even better in person!

1tuff68
04-30-08, 01:04 PM
Thanks for posting, it looks great, and it's a bit of coincidence since I was just now going to log off, and search how to do that! You can clearly see a difference in your before/after pictures. It must look even better in person!

Thanks :Bucktooth: I learned everything I know from Meguiar's online and autopia.org detailing forums. Can't say enough about the Porter Cable 7424 polisher. The swirls are gone forever, not just hidden.

Jacostang
04-30-08, 01:30 PM
Great tip!!! Thanks!

IMSHAKN
04-30-08, 03:44 PM
Thanks :Bucktooth: I learned everything I know from Meguiar's online and autopia.org detailing forums. Can't say enough about the Porter Cable 7424 polisher. The swirls are gone forever, not just hidden.

So long as the swirling was removed before you went to the glaze, then they should be gone for good. If they were still present when you switched to the glaze, they'll be back. Personally I'd recommend staying away from the glazes unless you are just about to show the car because they are made up of a lot of fillers that will temporarily hide and deepen the gloss of the paint, so you really don't gain much from them for daily use.

1tuff68
04-30-08, 04:57 PM
They are definitely gone, I rolled it into the sun between passes with M83 and M80 to make sure no swirls left.

IMSHAKN
04-30-08, 05:23 PM
Very nice.

blueoval
05-01-08, 07:30 AM

I was just going to say, looks like a fellow Autopian with the PC and array of Megs products. Nice job!

1tuff68
05-01-08, 08:49 AM
I was just going to say, looks like a fellow Autopian with the PC and array of Megs products. Nice job!

Thanks, you nailed it :D

Trick Pony
05-01-08, 09:01 AM
Wow! So easy that a Caveman could do it!!!:biglaugh:

1tuff68
05-01-08, 10:10 AM
Wow! So easy that a Caveman could do it!!!:biglaugh:

Hey, wrong forum! :laughing1:

nadador
06-01-08, 03:47 PM
On Friday I went to lunch at 24th & Camelback and my truck got "keyed". Why can't people just respect other people's property. :asshole2:
The scratch is white and goes from the center of the front door to the fender well on the passenger side. It really shows since the truck is dark amethyst. What can I do to repair the scratch? Ford doesn't give a bottle of touch-up paint to new car buyers the way Chevy does, so I have no paint. Is there some way to repair it or should I just take it to the dealership? :frown:

1tuff68
06-01-08, 06:47 PM
Wow, people suck! Sorry to hear about that.

Your insurance should cover repairs. If the scratch goes through the clear and into the base coat or deeper your only option is to have it resprayed. If it's just in the clear coat, a good detailer could make the scratch less noticeable, or even invisible - just depends on how deep it goes.

Another option is to take your car to Space Age Auto Paint mart in Mesa and they can match the paint on your car if you want to touch it up yourself.

Good luck

Jacostang
06-02-08, 07:21 PM
On Friday I went to lunch at 24th & Camelback and my truck got "keyed". Why can't people just respect other people's property. :asshole2:
The scratch is white and goes from the center of the front door to the fender well on the passenger side. It really shows since the truck is dark amethyst. What can I do to repair the scratch? Ford doesn't give a bottle of touch-up paint to new car buyers the way Chevy does, so I have no paint. Is there some way to repair it or should I just take it to the dealership? :frown:
Your harley!! Just onec love to catch someon doin that.. Is it down to the metal?? Let me see it and go from there...

nadador
06-03-08, 06:24 PM
I'll bring it to the meeting on Sunday and let you see it. I don't think it's to the metal. I just hope it's just in the clear coat and not in the paint.

Jacostang
06-07-08, 12:35 PM
I'll bring it to the meeting on Sunday and let you see it. I don't think it's to the metal. I just hope it's just in the clear coat and not in the paint.
That is ggod news if it's not through to the metal we can fix it almost as good as new!!

AZSnake98
11-02-09, 12:40 PM
The swirls are gone forever, not just hidden.

Not forever. Just until the next time you dry the car with anything other than a baby diaper. Haha.

1tuff68
02-02-10, 08:35 PM
Not forever. Just until the next time you dry the car with anything other than a baby diaper. Haha.

Especially if it's a 'used' one :biglaugh:

Mr. Austin
02-02-10, 08:55 PM
Wow thread from the dead