PDA

View Full Version : paint $?

ttocs
05-02-08, 07:12 PM
unfortunatly I did not get any responces to my introduction:hi: and offer to trade audio/security work for paint work. I have new side-skirts for a side exhaust kit that I am dyin to put on and need paint. I figured since earl shieb only charges $299 for an basic car paint that they would have a deal on these parts since they didn't need any masking, and there is very little prep. I was amazed when they said $199 for just these 2 pieces but after calling a couple of other shops this seems to be the going rate? For that price I am inclined to buy an ok paint gun, and borrow my neighbors compressor to see how bad of a job I can do. Worst case I would have to sand it back down to the base right?

stangboy86
05-02-08, 10:00 PM
unfortunatly I did not get any responces to my introduction:hi: and offer to trade audio/security work for paint work. I have new side-skirts for a side exhaust kit that I am dyin to put on and need paint. I figured since earl shieb only charges $299 for an basic car paint that they would have a deal on these parts since they didn't need any masking, and there is very little prep. I was amazed when they said $199 for just these 2 pieces but after calling a couple of other shops this seems to be the going rate? For that price I am inclined to buy an ok paint gun, and borrow my neighbors compressor to see how bad of a job I can do. Worst case I would have to sand it back down to the base right?
i think just your basic prep and cleanup is the issue. whether you paint a couple pieces or a whole body kit (for example) its still the same prep and cleanup of your tools.

wickedcobra
05-02-08, 10:10 PM
Id say go for the 199 deal. I am not sure what it would cost to buy your own stuff. Probably around 200 bucks at least???????

stangboy86
05-02-08, 11:26 PM
Id say go for the 199 deal. I am not sure what it would cost to buy your own stuff. Probably around 200 bucks at least???????
i agree... and you'll be left with extra materials

wolfwrangler
05-03-08, 12:23 AM
Speaking from experience I'd say have them paint it. It sounds like alot of $$$ at first, but have you priced automotive paint? Paint, reducer, primer, and maybe hardener, etc. can all get expensive rather quickly unless you are in that line of business and get a good discount. I've tried doing a few of my own paint jobs and it can be alot of work (time comsuming). Yeah...I had to rework my mistakes before too. Doing a good paint job comes from experience, and that experience comes from doing alot of bad paint jobs. They should do a proffessional job, and if they don't you have someone else to blame, Ha!

ttocs
05-03-08, 11:31 AM
I am leaning that way as well. I am also considering having them install them as well to ensure that they don't fly off and ruin a good paint job. Is there anyone that has experience with any local paint places that they can recommend?

evil281
05-03-08, 12:13 PM
I hear Body Pro Collision in Gilbert turns out some really good paint and they propably will install too.

Martimus
05-03-08, 12:13 PM
It's on the wrong side of town for you but I've had good experiences using the MAACO at 51st Avenue and Glendale. The shop was recommended by a friend of mine who works down the street at Sanderson Ford. I've used them about a dozen times for painting small parts. Their prices have been very reasonable and their work was pretty good too.